Annuals - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria Plum, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Sweet peas are best in the ground rather than pots, pick the flowers in bloom rather than dead head, you will get many times the flowers..and remove any seed pods too..as this stops flowering. I grow cosmos in pots, then dig the pots into the ground where I have a space.

Rudbeckia can be grown and will flower from seed the first season and is a perrenial so you'll have it next year too, they grow upto 3 foot tall and will need support.

Simple petunias should not be overlooked, they flower their heads off all summer long till the first frosts. Lobelia is another reliable annual, trailing is best IMO as we use them in pots and baskets.

Antirhinnums (snapdragons) also make a nice display as do annual Asters, I also grow Dahlias from seed to feed the slugs.

I have greenhouse and two of the shelved ones like you, they are as already mentioned liable to blow over in wind, I have a paving slab on the bottom shelf of mine and they have never blown over.

Aldi, the the supermarket have a lot of gardening stuff in their stores at the moment, in particular there are lots of summer bulbs for £1 perpack..we just bought some Gladiolis and dahlias there, but there are many others and plenty of seed too @39p per pack..worth a look. ;)

Steve...:)

2. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Yes you did! I'm so sorry, I don't know how I missed it. I think I must have dismissed it because I was not thinking of my fence at the time, just gaps in the flower bed.

:dh: sorry!

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Nasturtiums are good for filling gaps in the border as well - they will grow anyway, not just up:gnthb:

4. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    So should I plant nasturtiums in groups?

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Easiest way I find is to dig a small hole, pop a few seeds in it and cover over. You can space them a bit if you like, but it's not necessary. Repeat wherever you have space, wait a few weeks and by summer they'll be rambling everywhere so think carefully if you don't want other plants swamped, although they do look good growing through evergreen and shrubs as well. I'll try to post a picture of some of mine from last summer later when I get home from work...

6. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Brilliant thank you. I thought this year I'd have fewer questions but it seems not!

I've seen a mix at T&M of a cream colour and a blackish colour to plant together. They look rather nice.

7. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I'm sold on morning glory, and nasturtiums.

Who is reliable to buy seeds from.

I have a suttons and j parker catalogue. My dad claims Mr fotherfills is bad value for money.

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    If you have a Wilkinson's where you live, pop in and get some of their seed packets - they have a 3 for £2.00 offer on. Once you have both those plants growing, you won't have to buy the seeds again as you can collect them very easily.

9. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Nemesia are lovely and theres lots of choice now, they flower for months, right through winter too in a sheltered spot.