Annuals that slugs and snails dislike

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Baalmaiden, Mar 19, 2024.

1. berarde

berarde Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I used this on my delphiniums but also (and not a joke) some electric slug rings which didn't kill but seemed to keep them off. Any way my delphiniums were untouched

I'll post a bit more about electric fences when I'm not off on the school run, just mention that they do need some soldering work. There is stuff about it on youtube

2. lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,070
    Thought I'd mention my little experiment I've tried this year to save my Hostas from being munched as they start to emerge in the spring..I surrounded them with forget-me-nots...every Hosta is starting to unfurl barring one which I didn't barracade in with FMN...Maybe I've been lucky and when the FMN are finished they'll try to murder the Hostas but I'll think of something else by then:paladin:

• Like Like x 2
    • berarde

berarde Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +5
      I used this on my delphiniums but also (and not a joke) some electric slug rings which didn't kill but seemed to keep them off. Any way my delphiniums were untouched. Just mentioning the Grazers slug slug spray but at the moment unable to include links.

I had a commercial slug electric fence which disappeared off the market so I made my own. I see there are commercial varieties again. I had to make mine with copper tape and solder

I'm not alloed to post links but I found it on ebay "Snailstop slug and snail electric fence 9v"

In theory the slugs could be underground and pop-up inside the fence but I didn't find this to happen. Humane too as in 4 years I only had one maybe two fried slugs

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,460
      Not heard of those before, @berarde. I have some slug collars. Maybe I need to upgrade them with a battery pack. :)

• Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
      +303
      Well I went on a snail and slug hunt tonight and my tip is look amongst plants with long leaves in rosettes. I found loads in a patch of amaryllis belladonna and agapanthus. When I had kniphofias they harboured loads too.

• BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
      Ratings:
      +1,535
      The thing to remember is that it's really stupid to eat your shelter. Remember to look under plants they don't eat - not just what they've nibbled.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,070
        When I order my meat from 'The Wild Meat Company' it comes insulated with sheeps wool ....I make collars for my plants with it ..it seems to work.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
          +303
          Well, here's how the summer season has gone:
          I have had loads of snails this year. I regularly did a hunt in the morning and transported them down to the rain garden by the road. Did one this morning as it is drizzly weather and didn't get so many so perhaps I have had some effect on the numbers but I have lost loads of stuff to slugs and snails this year. In desperation I took an old garden frame and duck taped weed suppressing fabric to the bottom so nothing could come in that way and put enviromesh tightly on the top. I have put my lettuce, rocket and kale seedlings inside and so far no slugs or snails seemed to have got in. The kale did have a few green caterpillars which I think must have been on the plants before I put them in the frame. Those have been picked off (I hope). So far so good.

• Like Like x 1