1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Another eBay poly

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Jimcub, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +614
    Anyone got any pictures of how they secured the cover to stop it blowing away, poles I have enough info to secure but what do others use instead of burying it.

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Have a look at this post from my polytunnel topic, in this section of the forum. http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/steves-polytunnels.33033/page-5#post-915208

I put this tunnel up as two raised beds that are staked down well, on the outside of these wooden beds I secured batons and sat the frame on that. Then I put the cover on but although I did bury some of it, not all was. I secured extra batons on the outside of the cover, through to the batons on the inside, so it was now secured to the raised bed and buried.

You can see in the post how the frame sits on the baton, I do not have any photo's with the final outside batons fitted.

Hope this helps.

Steve...:)

3. Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +614
    The wood greenhouse I decided was not worth the effort to repair yet again, so it will be good fire wood for the rotten parts the good bits will be put to good use.

I used the only good part the door end to a good use, its now is the door to my polytunnel and with a new wider pathway is a lot better. Never thought a door could be so pleasant as this, no tugging plastic to get the Zips up with fingers crossed in case the zip breaks.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      Have you secured the cover on the tunnel yet, how did you do it?

Steve...:)

• Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +614
      Because I have a fence on 2 sides, I turned the cover in under the frame and buried it.
      As a reserve I have 3 webbed straps anchored to the ground 18" down, not pulled tight just laid over.
      Cover was pulled tight when I put the door way in and it is sideways to the wind, no problems yet touch wood.

• Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +614
      IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0067.JPG
      Well an update is very overdue as the conservatory is up and finished, the inside of polytunnel is sorted and veg a sprouting.

There are a few hanging baskets planted and I am experimenting with trailing sweat pea and nasturtiums.

I now have 3 full water butts with a pump so can use use rainwater on the veg garden, took 2 days of rain to fill all 3.
      Outside space is dug waiting for brassicas and a few toms and potatoes, still trying to find a way of keeping butterfly's off as the destroy everything.

Am putting a 4th water butt to use when I put the new polycarbonate on roof at back of garage, kindly donated by neighbour who had 1 panel damaged in storm Doris but did his whole roof.
      So this will also feed polytunnel and will be fed buy a 15' x 8' roof of rainfall.

• Like Like x 1
      • alp

alp Novice

Mum
        Ratings:
        +962
        It's a brilliant idea to get more water butts. Just use a connector at the back and they can let water travel from A to ??? I have 2 pairs of connected butts.. Well pleased. You could put an ad for wanted in Freecycle. The response can be very good!

• Like Like x 1
        • Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +614
          These did indeed come from freecycle which I use to put new life into discarded items, also sharing things which are no longer needed but still have life in them a very good system.

The 3 butts are indeed connected and a tap is incorporated in the pipework so I can still fill a watering can, just shows how much rain was collected in 2 days from a garage roof and the large shed to fill all 3.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
        • Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +614
          Well I hope to have solved my holiday watering now, just hope it all works successfully.

I have 3 water butts all linked together with a wickes butt pump connected to a hose pipe, I sourced a lay flat perforated hose which is suspended from the roof of the polytunnel.
          It's long enough to do both sides so any baskets get done too, it all works off a digital timer set to come on a 8am and 6 pm every day for 3 minutes.

If I run out of water the floats automatically shut the pump off, so no pumping air and a ruined pump.

Just have to wait and see.

• alp

alp Novice

Mum
          Ratings:
          +962
          That sounds brilliant and I hope it works seamlessly for you.

• Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +614
          First full few days and alls well, butts filling up nicely thanks to the rainy days.

• Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +614
          IMG_0323.JPG Well watering is going well and I used the now operational 4th butt to soak the soil, the picture if you look close you can see the water spraying from the hose.
          The rain is keeping the butts to overflow level, the 4th butt comes off a 12x8 lean to roof I'll have to drill a hole near top to fit an overflow pipe, which will flow out into my veg patch.

• Like Like x 1
          • Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +614
            Just an update the cost of my polytunnel watering system was £14, plus hose and connectors which I had nocking about in the shed so no extra cost to me.
            The water butt pump was a sale item in wickes for £16, so 30 odd quid for a system to use all summer, during illness and holidays is very cost effective

Butts were all off free cycle only cost was to connect to my original butt, plus providing a tap to fill any watering can.
            System could be extended to water my lean to glass green house, as long as it rains that is but please make it during the night.

• Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +614
            Well didn’t use tunnel last year due to other projects, so this year I go afresh.

I have a new cover picked up cheap couple of years ago, so that’s my first job this year.
            I started to weed inside and the nettles are rife, with roots going all over the place. Nettles are a feature of my garden as it was a wilderness before we moved in.
            ( any ideas on creeping nettle removal )
            So half done and a wheelie bin is full, this week will be the other half weeded.

I need to get the cover off before any gales come, as in the covers early life it got ripped and my sewing is not up to standard.

• Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +614
            Weeding done now the hard bit of removing the cover, my bodies not made for digging anymore