Another email scam alert

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by capney, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +614
    Slightly off topic as not a scam.

I bought a halogen fryer from Amazon and it was duly sent, I noticed that it had been reboxed at some point. Still I took it out and all looked OK, I plugged it in and an almighty dim as the fan was catching its casing, so that was why it had been returned so I arranged for it to be sent back.

I sent it back and asked for a refund from the company ( Lakeland ), heard nothing for a couple of weeks so contacted Lakeland for a refund who then sent me another. I contacted Amazon Who organised refund and the company asked me to send fryer back.

I said I would not be lugging it to a drop off point and for them to send a courier, now I have a refund and a new fryer sat boxed unopened in my garage. Been there for 2 months now, where do I stand legally in this as I have their goods.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Did you buy it from Lakeland but through Amazon (which it sounds as though you did) or did you buy it directly from Amazon?

This should be fairly easy to answer but did they pay you the postage for sending the damaged one back?

You definitely are not entitled to have your original payment back as well as having a new product. That this occurred is due to them being inefficient by not dealing with the complaint quickly enough or, at least, acknowledging the situation.

You have the product you wanted - so that's good. You also have their money - which should be returned to them. If they didn't pay for the return of the faulty goods then, I feel, that you are entitled to reimbursement for that.

You should be able to negotiate the return of the balance of the money they sent you less your expenses. I would be inclined to word the communication in a friendly way and suggest that they 'may wish to waive the return of the balance to compensate you for all the trouble you have been to'.

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Be careful about what you do, because if you don't end up with proper documentation for purchase of the fryer you have now, it might affect any further replacement(s)/refund if anything goes wrong with the one you have now.

Lakeland used to have much better (lifetime) Guarantee T&C because you could always take something back for a refund, even if you'd bought a £100 product for £10 at a car boot sale and found the original receipt in the box.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately they don't seem to offer that anymore http://www.lakeland.co.uk/info/LakelandGuarantee This is what they now print on their receipts (from purchase last month)

lakeland.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  4. Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +614
    They never sent anything for me to return it, despite various email to them.
    It was bought through Amazon from Lakeland, Amazon supplied the refund.

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    So why are Lakeland asking for you to return the fryer? Or is it Amazon that are asking you?

If it's Lakeland then tell them you want the fryer (that's why you ordered it in the first place) but you're happy to return the money less expenses (as mentioned above).

If it's Amazon asking you to return then ask them why as you now have what you ordered. Then wait for them to reply. They will probably say that it's because they have returned your money. You can then tell them that you thought the money was goodwill compensation for you being messed around but you're happy to return it less your expenses. Be careful how you handle it otherwise they may blacklist you - they have a habit of doing that to people that return too many things.