Another email scam alert

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by capney, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Friend received this one recently. Worrying thing is that she knows the person from whom this supposedly originated. They must have hijacked the senders Address Book to get my friends Email address.

She did not reply but we were wondering if she needs to delete that address and open a new Email account. Also how does one inform the person whose Address book is being misused that this is happening?

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Did it come from a free email account, such as Hotmail or Yahoo? This sort of thing happens quite a lot and yes, it's very sneaky, although some of the language used in that email give it away!

Maybe just email your friend/acquaintance and let them know this has happened.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I got this one today...'in our wedding'?? Huh?

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, it’s Ashley here, it was such a long time , how is it going with you there ? I heard that you got a new job, didn’t you? Is everything ok there ? Hey, can you believe it! I got married to Brian ! Yes I did. I tried to call but you did not answer. You have changed your number, haven’t you? Just give me your current telephone number if you read this mail. It’s really a pity that we did not see you in our wedding. I wanted to invite you so much. Well, here I’m sending you a few pics taken in our wedding :

(Link to something dodgy I daresay, not included!)

Let's keep in touch then.
    Love,
    Ashley & Brian

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,457
    Hi Palustris,
    I received a similar email last year from a cousin who lives abroad and it said that she was stuck in London in the same circumstances. I knew immediately that it was a scam as my cousin's english is much better than that and she would have phoned me if it was an emergency.

Your friend should, first, make sure that she doesn't click on any links in the email. She will then be safe from any possible nasties. Secondly, she should not send any money in any form whatever.

Then she should send her friend an email (or telephone her) letting her know what was in the email and that she should have her computer debugged. This won't jeapordise your friend's computer and your friend's email address is already being used by the bug but the bug won't be on your friend's machine.

There is no need for your friend to change email addresses. She should always be wary of an email received that has an internet link or a file to be opened. If she doesn't know who it is from or it is something she is not expecting then just delete it. If she is not sure then she can email the person who has sent it, as long as she knows that person, and ask whether it is genuine.

5. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
  6. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Glad you didn't go to the wedding. I'm bored with Ashley 'hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii' already.

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Ironically, I knew an Ashley at school, but she was the younger sister of a girl in my year, so I doubt very much that she would be emailing me...or marrying a Brian!

Do you think I missed a brilliant wedding then? :hehe:

8. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730

:hehe: I fear the union of Ashley and Brian may be something of a mésalliance. 'Ashley' is a name which has come into vogue relatively recently (for girls, at least; if Ashley is a bloke I suppose he could be a pensioner whose mother had a thing for Ashley Wilkes in 'Gone With The Wind'). 'Brian', on the other hand, is (with apologies to any Brians on the forum) a moniker from a bygone age. These days few delighted new mums cradle their first-born and exclaim: 'He's Perfect. I Shall Name Him Brian.' So perhaps Brian is a bit of a sugar-daddy. Either that or he really is the Messiah.

9. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,457

There are very few mums who have named their sons Brian since 'The Life of Brian' first hit the screens in 1979. :hehe:

10. MartinHp71

MartinHp71 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    But I am sure there are many, many dads who have ! (or at least tried) :lollol::lollol::lollol:

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,457
    Oh my God!!! You're probably right. :lollol::lollol::lollol:

12. MartinHp71

MartinHp71 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Partner got this spam email .. a new approach

[​IMG]

Dear HSBC Cardholder,

You have one new unread message,you are requested to
    [LINK REMOVED] to your account to view message.
    </B>

Thanks for your co-operation. Fraud Prevention Unit Legal Advisor HSBC
    Please do not reply to this message. For any inquiries, contact
    Customer Service.
    © 2010 HSBC. National Association, Inc.

13. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Creativity - 3/10. Technical merit - 0/10. Plausibility - 0/10.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATTN PLEASE:

TO WHOM THIS MAY CONCERN...

THIS IS TO INFORM YOU THAT WE HAVE SOME INVESTIGATION GOING ON WHICH WE NEED YOU TO C0-OPERATE WITH US TO MAKE IT A SUCCESS. WE ARE CURRENTLY WORKING WITH ALL INTERNET MAIL SERVICE PROVIDER TO FIGHT AGAINST SCAMS AND ALL FORMS OF INTERNET FRAUDS.

WE ARE DOING THIS JUST TO SAFE AND PREVENT YOU FROM FALLING VICTIMS OF THESE INTERNET FRAUDSTERS. WE WANT TO HELP YOU FIGHT AGAINST SCAM AND FRAUDULENT MAILS FROM GETTING ACCESS INTO YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS.

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED AN E-MAIL TELLING YOU TO MAKE SOME PAYMENT, MAILS TELLING YOU THAT YOU HAVE SOME FUNDS OR PACKAGES OR CONTACTING ANY BANK TO GET YOUR FUNDS. PLEASE YOU ARE HEREBY ADVISED TO IGNORE SUCH MAILS. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED OR ABOUT TO RECEIVE SUCH MAILS, KINDLY FORWARD THEM TO US FOR PROPER INVESTIGATIONS....YOUR COOPERATION WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

BEST REGARDS,
    FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION. (FBI)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    PS The 'phone (landline version) was once a useful means of communicating with people to whom you might actually wish to speak. Now it's just a goddamn nuisance. Double glazing salesmen, people who cure debt problems out of the kindness of their hearts, made to measure sofa covers and oojamaflips in guaranteed genuine crimplene, mysterious prizes won in competitions which were never entered, never-to-be-repeated offers on timeshare apartments in Helmand Province etc etc etc. Since friends, family and genuine business contacts tend to call our mobiles, there no longer seems a reason to pay out for a nuisance caller line.

I'm beginning to wonder whether e-mail is going the same way as the landline. It seems to be getting harder and harder to filter out spam. Only I'd be lost without e-mail, whereas I could happily junk the 'phone.

15. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,457

I think you are overly generous with your marking :hehe: - but don't forgot to forward the emails you are about to get :lollol:. They obviously realise that you are omniscient. :D