Another email scam alert

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by capney, Aug 15, 2010.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    I have a different attitude towards landlines and mobiles.

We are registered with TPS which saves a lot of nuisance calls. Therefore I consider any that get through to me are fair game :thumb:. I keep them on the line for as long as possible. This length of time varies depending on whether Mrs shiney is in the room or not. They sometimes hear her roaring with laughter at how fantastically interested I sound or how many inane questions I can get away with. I broke my record last week by managing to keep them on the line for 38 minutes. :lollol:

Our landline gives us free calls as part of our package but not free calls to mobiles. So I will not phone mobiles except in an emergency. If anyone calls when I am out and leaves a message with a mobile number to call, I don't return their call - stingy or what? :old: :D

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Shiney, my OH does the same as you. He really, really enjoys winding them up, seeing how long he can keep the caller on the line. I think my howls of laughter give it away as well though!

We too have TPS so he really enjoys asking the caller if they are aware of this and that they are breaking the law. Funny how they hang up after that...

3. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,463
    Aaron, I was very surprised today with one I received. After keeping them on the phone for just over 10 minutes I asked what his weather was like. He told me that it was very warm and sunny and volunteered that he was in India. I then asked him if he was aware that as I'm on the TPS it was illegal to call me (although the law doesn't operate abroad). He asked to hang on for his supervisor and when he came on he was very apologetic.

The supervisor asked me whether I was on TPS and when I said that I was he said he would contact the company that they use for supplying numbers and tell them to remove me from the list. He also said that they have a policy of a penalty deduction from the company that supplies them if a person on TPS complains to them. He apologised again and then hung up.

That's a new one on me :scratch:.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    And me! I'll let my OH know about this - he'll be very interested.

5. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    I'm just glad someone realises how awesome I am. :hehe:

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    All those emails are obvious scams and best avoided.

I however have knowledge of a method of turning base metal into gold/£/€/$.

Furthermore I am prepared to share this method, at minimal cost, with contributors to GC on the understanding that Government Agents (HMRC & Police) may not look kindly on the process which involves fairly simple equipment.

All that is required is a ladder, pickup truck, dead of night, and a roof of an old building such as a church or 19th century school and a dealer in metals who doesn’t maintain records of the conversion process.

For further details email me with your bank account details (I will also accept Paypal payments) and I will reply ASAP and will also include free of charge “A Practical Guide to Legal Aid in the UK” and a list of “Solicitors for You who Fell off Someone’s Roof”
    :wink:

7. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,463

I've sent you a PM with all my details :gnthb:

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,463

We are not worthy!!! :ntwrth::ntwrth::ntwrth::ntwrth::ntwrth:

9. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Shiney,I don't have to time to chat to these people for so long.:scratch:We keep having BT ring us up and despte me teling them that we are not interested in any more of their services they still do it,so now I only give them two seconds of my time then slam the phone down,or else I don't bother to answer it at all and when I press 1471 it is an 0800 number so I know it is them:hehe:My time is too precious and they only caught me out in the past as I thought it was an urgent phone call as Mr Kandy's dad is elderly and we never know if it is someone in the family trying to contact us if something has happened to him.I have an answering machine but these people never bother to leave any messages:D

10. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,463
    Kandy, if you tell BT to put on their records that they mustn't call you then they will leave you alone :thumb:. I enjoy winding them up :hehe:.

11. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    I'm in the same position as you Kandy, I can't afford time stringing these people along, but well done Shiney for getting one over on them.

12. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,463
    John, that's the advantage of only sleeping 3-4 hours a night and also being retired. I can organise my time to suit me. :gnthb: Retirement is fun :hehe:

13. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Shiney,I keep telling these people that we are not interested in their products and not to keep ringing us but the next tiime they just get some other mug to ring up instead.:(I wouldn't mind but it is hard to understand what language they are speaking.I am thinking of learning Welsh so that might confuse them:DThe problem is that being BT,I don't think you can get rid of the through the TPS like you can other companies:(

Shiney like John says it is difficult finding the time to hang on the phone and our generation will never be allowed to retire, but thats a different discussion altogether so make the most of yours:flag::D

14. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    Shiney, can I have your telephone number? I can then forward on my unwanted calls :hehe:

15. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,463
    I'll phone you with it. :hehe: