Another email scam alert

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by capney, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I've posted this link before, but if you've never heard it it's a real hoot, with a tele-sales rep getting royally spoofed.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvnMINVEF9M"]YouTube - Tom Mabe phone call[/nomedia]

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    The scammers have been a little quiet recently but now they have returned with their latest megablockbuster:-

Attention: Sir/Madam,

This is to bring to your notice that we are delegated from the United Nations UN and World Bank to Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to pay 150,000 scam victims the sum of $7,500,000.00 (SEVEN MILLION FIVE HUNDRED UNITED STATE DOLLAR) each. You are listed and approved for this payment as one of the scammed victims to be paid this amount, get back to us as soon as possible for the immediate payments of your $7,500,000.00 compensations funds.

On this faithful recommendations, we want you to know that during the last U.N. meetings held at Abuja, Nigeria this year 2010 first quarter, it was alarmed so much by the world in the meetings on the lose of funds by various individuals to the scams artists operating in syndicates all over the world today. In other to compensate victims, the United Nations UN and World Bank Body in conjunction with the New PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN Federal Republic Nigerian Government is now paying 150,000 victims of this operators $7,500,000.00 each in accordance with the United Nations UN and World Bank Body recommendations to the new President commander in Chief PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN as a beginning to his transformation to good governance and good image of this country Nigeria.

Your particulars was mentioned by one of the Syndicates who was arrested as one of their victims of the operations, you are hereby warned not to communicate or duplicate this message to them for any reason what so ever as the U.S. FBI security service is already on trace of the other criminals. You are thereby advised to contact the payment officer in Nigeria through the following information. Name............. Dr Williams Patrick, Telephone:+2348086010125.
    You will receive your compensation payments cash through ATM PAYMENTS SYSTEM (or) DIPLOMATIC COURIER SHIPMENT CASH to your home door step. So when we cross examine into our computer diskette analysis data bank we discovered that you have not been paid for this reason your name has been short listed among other contractors and foreigners whose fund has been over due for payment, who will benefit form this deduction payment policy newly introduced as compensations.

We wish to advise you to stop any communication with any body if you wish to receive your payment, since we have decided to bring a solution to give you your cash Right now we have arranged your payment through our SWIFT CARD PAYMENT CENTRE from European Union and London, which is the latest instruction from the United Nations (UN).
    This card center will send you an ATM card, which you will use to withdraw your money in any ATM machine in any part of the world, but the maximum is Twenty Thousand United States Dollars ($20,000.00) per day. So if you like to receive your fund in any of this two ways, please let us know and send the following information as listed below for immediate release and transfer of your payment once we receive your full information as requested below:
    Full name______________________________
    Address_________________________________________________
    Phone numbers____Daytime__________________Evening___________________
    Nationality___________________
    Gender__________________
    Age__________
    Option of payment ATM PAYMENTS SYSTEM (or) DIPLOMATIC COURIER SHIPMENT CASH to your home address__________________
    Copy of your International passport (I. D)___________________
    If you can adhere to my instructions and directives this fund will be confirmed to you within the next five (5) working days. We urge your maximum co-operation as we are obliged to serve you better and to restore back lost hope to you, thanks.
    You will be detailed with the modalities as you contact us for details.
    Yours faithfully,

Dr. Williams Patrick & Mr. Tim J.W. Tookey.
    Director (UN) monitoring unit Dept.
    Telephone:+2348086010125

3. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    This one's from Captain Beefheart or sumfink:-

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am so much delighted to inform you of my business proposal. Well i must tell you that i really appreciate your immediate response, i have been keeping this to myself alone but i want to let you know of my business proposal through this medium which both of us is going to experience a miracle after the successful completion of this transaction for our mutual benefit.

I am a captain with the United Nations troop in Iraq, on war against terrorism. Based on the United States legislative and executive decision for withdrawing troops in Iraq, I have been deployed to come and work in your country on military base soonest. Our mission is to help beef up terrorist targeted states, mostly the United States and the European Union on war against terrorism and i will need a estate car for myself & that is why I contacted you. On the other hand I want to inform you that I have in my possession the sum of (16.2 million Usd) Which I got from crude oil deal here in Iraq. I deposited this money with a Red Cross agent informing him that we are making contact for the real owner of the money. And it is under my power to approve whoever that comes forth for this consignment. I am a uniformed person and I cannot be parading such an amount, so I need to present someone to stand as the recipient. I am an American and an intelligence officer and for that I have a 100% authentic means of transfe

I wait for your contact details so we can go on. I will give to you 30% of the sum and 70% is for me.

I hope I am been fair on this deal, get back to me with your full information:
    YOUR FULL NAME
    YOUR FULL ADDRESS
    YOUR DIRECT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Regards,
    Capt.John Henderson
    Iraq Military Base BAGHDAD
    [email protected]

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Looks like a real opportunity to become rich.
    Hope you don't forget your pals on GC when it lands in your bank.
    I'll be forwarding our bank account details shortly so you can pass us a few quid.
    We promise that we'll not pass on any details of the transaction to HMRC.:hehe:

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    Seems a really good deal :gnthb:. I'll join in as well. I'll help you carry the bags of money. I'm sure more of our friends here on GC would be happy to help you.

I won't need to send you any details as I know where you live. Let me know when the deal goes down and I'll be on your doorstep :hehe:. I know where I can pick up a cheap deal on an estate car for Capt Henderson as I have just received an email from a very nice person offering cars cheap. :thumb:

6. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
  7. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Please dont get caught out with one if you use Paypal..

Dear Member,

As part of our efforts to provide a safe and secure environment for the
    online community, we regularly screen account activity.
    Our review of your account has identified an issue regarding its safe use.
    We have placed a restriction on your account as a precaution.

To lift the restriction we will require some further information from you.

If, once we review your further information and we're confident that the
    use of your account does not present a safety risk to our service and
    customers, we'll be happy to reinstate your account.

We have sent you an attachment which contains all the necessary steps in order to restore your account access.
    Download and open it in your browser.
    After we have gathered the necessary information, you will regain full access to your account.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

8. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Just to keep us all forwarned, I recieved this today.
    A bit of twist to this one.
    #I have not added the attached winners listing doc.......
    Can anybody shed any light on the highlighted red text below.? what is all this ?

Spam detection software, running on the system "mail.atacadomendonca.com.br", has
    identified this incoming email as possible spam. The original message
    has been attached to this so you can view it (if it isn't spam) or block
    similar future email. If you have any questions, see
    the administrator of that system for details.

Content preview: Dear subscribers. This message is from the Email
    Administrator IT Service to all our email account subscribers.You are
    to provide to us the below information to revalidate your account due
    to spam and to upgrade the new 2011 spam version. [...]

Content analysis details: (8.8 points, 5.0 required)

pts rule name description
    ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
    -1.4 BAYES_20 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 20 to 30%
    [score: 0.2486]
    2.7 SUBJ_HAS_UNIQ_ID Subject contains a unique ID
    2.0 DATE_IN_FUTURE_06_12 Date: is 6 to 12 hours after Received: date
    3.0 MSGID_FROM_MTA_SHORT Message-Id was added by a relay
    2.6 FORGED_MUA_OUTLOOK Forged mail pretending to be from MS Outlook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this message.
    Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
    Version: 10.0.1191 / Virus Database: 1435/3393 - Release Date: 01/20/11

9. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Be warned about this one guys.
    It looks very official.
    I have left it intact.
    PLEASE DO NOT CLICK THE LINKS

ATTN: Dear Applicant,

After the last annual: 2010 re-calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of GBP 382,84
    Your Application Code: 731948115 (Tax File Number)
    In order to process it click the link below:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk.reference-uk.com/form_payment_2011.php?id=4921985491002

Our head office address can be found on our official web site.

Note: For security reasons, we recommend that you close your browser after you have finished accessing your refund status.
    - For security reasons, we will record your ip-address and date.
    - Deliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and indicted.

Sincerely,
    HM Revenue & Customs
    [email protected]

-----
    Version: 10.0.1202 / Virus Database: 1435/3404 - Release Date: 01/26/11

10. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Looks to me like one of the servers the message passed through on its way to you spotted that it was dodgy, which it clearly is. The way the internet works is that from sender to recipient, the message goes through a number of different physical machines. If I was to email my next door neighbour and set a trace on the message, I'd probably find it went from here to London, then off to America, then a couple more hops over there, then somewhere else, before eventually working its way back. Any one of the machines that the message passed through could have scanned the message (incidentally, this is why email should never be used for confidential stuff), and tagged its own warnings on the end.

The old 'reactivate your account' scam was very common a couple of years ago, and still about to a lesser extent now.

The spammers hope you will panic and go off to enter your personal details into the fake 'phishing' site they conveniently provide.

11. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Good news everybody.
    I have inherited a shed load of money...
    My intention is to throw away all the stuff in the garden shed and fill it full of money.
    You will all be welcome to help yourself.....:rolleyespink::rolleyespink::rolleyespink:

Dear Sir/Ma,

Re- Estate Beneficiary

Sequel to your non response of our earlier letter to you on behalf of the Trustees and Executors of the Estate of our late client We wish to notify you that you have been subscribed as the beneficiary to the total sum of
    £9,900.000.00 GBP (Nine million Nine Hundred thousand British Pounds) representing the pecuniary estate of the said deceased.He died on 9th January 2005 at the age of 68.He was buried on the 3rd of February.

We reckoned that you can receive this fund; as you are qualified via your name
    identity.

All the legal papers will be processed upon your response. In your acceptance of
    this deal, we request that you kindly forward any proof of identity of yours, your current telephone and fax numbers and forwarding address to enable us file necessary documents at Probate Registry, for the release of this sum of money to you.Please reply through my Alternative email: (removed by me )

Congratulations!

Yours Faithfully

Barr.Dennis Nelson..
    Nelson Chambers.
    My direct Phone number: Tel:+44-702-402-7842

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version: 10.0.1204 / Virus Database: 1435/3420 - Release Date: 02/03/11

Be careful , and aware of these scams guys...

12. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Seems fair enough. It's been checked for viruses. Just beware of the 'scams guys'. These days it's so hard to tell criminals from kindly folk who just want to give you shed loads of money. :heehee:

13. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Have you got your ATM card yet.?

Attention:Beneficiary,

With reference of the information received, in respect of your outstanding fund which has been delayed as a result of the fees you were asked to pay.

It is very important to inform you that we have arranged your total Fund of ($3.2 Million US Dollars) through our Swift Card Payment(Centre Asia Pacific) please this Centre will send you an ATM CARD which you will use to withdraw your money in any ATM MACHINE in all parts of the World.

You are required to know that the maximum withdrawal amount per a day is five thousand dollars.

This letter is to acknowledge that you are hereby authorized to contact Dr,Edward Phillip ATM processing Admin, for further directives on how this ATM Card should reach you, the PIN Code will be send to you orally for security reasons.

Contact Email:( Address remove by me )
    Tele Phone Number:+2299395254
    You have to reconfirm the following to him...

1. Full name :::::::

2. Your home Address :::::::

3. Your current telephone number ::::::

4. A copy of your id card or passport ::::::::

6. Your country and city :::::::::::

7. Your occupation ::::::::::::::::::::

Note that because of impostors, we hereby issued you our code of conduct, which is (ATM09) so you have to indicate this code when contacting the card centre by using it as your subject.

The only fee you are required to pay to him is the sum of $185.00 for him to obtain an affidavit of claim of ownership from the high court here in Benin,this affidavit will enable you receive your ATM card without any hitches from the government of Benin.

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Anita Edwards.

14. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Speaking Welsh won't deter them sorry. BT have a Welsh Language Bureau so they'd probably find someone to speak to you in Welsh. You want to see the reams of paper I get for my phone bill and all the sales stuff they put in with the bill it's all in both English and Welsh.

So far, touch wood I've only had the bank account ones for banks that I don't bank with, plus a paypal one with the wrong email addy on it. They never make it into my inbox only the spam / junk folder. I feel left out as everyone must be millionaires by now, lol.

15. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    Don't worry Katherna,
    You can have some of the millions that I have due to me. Give me your email address and I'll forward some of my inheritance details that are waiting to be claimed. :dbgrtmb:

I'm quite generous with things like this as Mrs shiney has got 92 million dollars waiting for her in an offshore account. She's just going to send all her details and a cheque for £500 to claim it. :heehee: