Another tree dying in my garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Javidr, May 20, 2024.

1. Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,582
    Can we see a picture of the flowers so that we can identify it and know with some certainty the type of plant we’re talking about.

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +2,903
    I agree with @Dovefromabove - a photo of any flowers/foliage will help, and if it's a Ceanothus, as already suggested, it's probably just at the end of it's life, for the reasons given.

3. Javidr

Javidr Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Here we go

Attached Files:

4. Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
    +299
    Ceonothus don't like wet or cold conditions, they much prefer a warm free draining spot, so although it wasn't particularly cold for most of us it was very wet and with heavy soil, you might have an issue.

5. Dieter Groll

Dieter Groll Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have a ceanothus that’s not doing well. Any suggestions

Attached Files:

6. JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,358
    If it is a Ceanothus, not only are they fairly short-lived even in the best of conditions, but also they like well-drained light soil, and they don't respond well to being pruned, certainly no more than a light trim. I'd say you've got a combination of a fairly old shrub in a soil that's not the best for it, and it's been pruned badly (possibly because it was dying back because it's old and in unsuitable conditions).

Edit - I was replying to @Javidr

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +89,161
      I think to have got that big, both @Javidr and @Dieter Groll , it must have had suitable conditions, but anyone who caught the December freeze of 2022 could well still be having problems mine were nearly killed, but have recovered, just about.
      I agree they are generally short lived, and need fairly small amounts of pruning after flowering which helps to keep denser growth and longer life.

I'm kind of replying to both as they look similar, almost leafless.

• Like Like x 1
      • Allotment Boy

Allotment Boy Lifelong Allotmenteer

Retired Medical Lab Scientist
        Ratings:
        +169
        We have "lost " a Ceanothus this year too. We think ours simply drowned though, it could be honey fungus as we have that in the area. The RHS advised me that HF can kill a plant one branch at a time so it can be hard to spot what's happening. Dig around the base of the tree / shrub look particularly at the collar ( where the main stem and root intersection ) any white fungal threads or even long dark threads known at bootlace threads , note though these aren't always present.

• Like Like x 1