Antivirus 2009 Beware

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by wiseowl, Jul 24, 2008.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,747
    Hi Evryone yes Kandy its the same one I think its a Trojan or a Virus not sure perhaps one of our more knowledgable friends could explain the difference for me,It appeared last week again and I just stared at it knowing that if i had clicked anywhere on it That would be it,But my Kaspersky saw it ,Dealt with it,and then buried it:D:thumb:I now know that it seems to come from an American site I often Visit ,so I shall not go there again,so please be very carefull as I had to completely start again with a recovery Disc.:)

2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Google chrome looks good and is very efficient but I've been playing with it for a while and it crashed no less than 8 times within about 3hours...it's definitely still beta

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    well my norton came up with i had 2 things on my pc Adware Adbot and that i would have to take them off manually i havnt a clue what to do any ideas whats going on

4. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  5. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If you have automatic updates on then all windows updates will cove via that. Anything popping up saying install such-and-such won't be genuine.

6. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Has anyone else received this auntomatically? I'm sure I've had it twice now so I hope it is now on both my pc's and it hasn't brought any bugs with it!!!!

cheers

7. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Yes I keep getting a reminder that 'a windows update' (SP 3) is ready to be installed, but I've not done it yet. I know that I've already installed most of the automatic periodic updates that make up SP3, but I when I did a bit of Googling for more info about the Service Pack there were one or two problems associated with it. Mind you the reports I read were a month or so old, so the current release is probably ok.

8. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Dave, I haven't had any problems - yet, fingers crossed.

Going back to the start of this thread re Anti Virus - I had this pop up, tried to close it but it still started to install. It took a couple of seconds till I remembered Woo's post. After a panic and hitting nearly every button going:) I managed to stop it.

So watch out people cos it's still around and thank you Woo because without your warning I would probably have thought it was genuine. Phew!!!!

cheers

9. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I've just had a read through here and cant see the following program recommended, if you reading this now...you should install it right now!

SpywareBlaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Is a free program that runs in the background on your PC, uses very little resources and monitors constantly. It will stop 90% or more of the malware/spyware that programs such as Spybot S&D finds from getting onto your machine in the first place, its really that good !

Download it, install it, update it and forget all about it save for checking for updates once in a while. Protecting is much easier than removing.

Time to download and install/get running - 10 mins
    Time to remove spyware/malware - Best part of three days!

Steve...:)

10. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks for this info Steve.I will ask Mr K to read your post and then he can tell me whether it will be worth downloading it.

11. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I'll save Mr K the trouble..it is worth it....period

12. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks Steve,I will still let Mr K do the downloading bit because if I do it I am bound to do it wrong but if he did does it and it goes wrong he can take the blame:hehe:

13. DiggerDan

DiggerDan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know I'm resurrecting an old topic, but as I come across this problem at work I thought i'd just give you fine people my experiences on the subject.

Spybot Search and Destroy is a great program. High recomended.

When it comes to annoying bit of Malware like this, try the demo of Malwarebyte's antimalware. (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php). It does a full scan and removes nasty bits like the Antivirus 2009. Very quick and useful.... and most importantly FREE.

Also in terms of commerically available Internet Security solutions I highly recommend Kaspersky Internet Security.

14. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Whilst Malwarebyte's antimalware IS very good and I use it myself regularly, it will not remove this 2009 virus...it will however remove part of it, that is...until you reboot. The 2009 virus as I understand it is an ressurection/rewrite of an earlier nasty...."smiithfraud", for which there is a fix out there for. But, this nasty writes and propogates itself over your system and a combination of removal methods are necessary..there is no "one hit fix".

Take a look at this "removal" here http://www.windowsbbs.com/malware-v...e-removal-help-required-hjt-log-included.html A combination of house cleaning and various programs to clean this infection.

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I got rid of Smiftraud using c.cleaner you have to use the registry cleaning scan as well as the general scan,in my oppinion c,cleaner by Piriform is tops.