Any success with veg containers?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Helofadigger, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Veggie Patch

Veggie Patch Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have grown potatoes and carrots in tubs with some succses but being new to veg garedening i think i placed to many seeds / potatoes in the tubs. Also the tubs do dry out so you need to water nigh on everyday. Hope this helps you

2. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi Helofadigger

i grew
    potatos
    tomatos
    sping onions
    radish
    runner beans
    cucumber
    turnips
    carrots
    sprouts
    garlic
    chillis
    peppers
    peas

for my first yr trying it i was quite pleased with the crop and i can't wait to get growing again this yr,
    i don't know if its any use to you but as pots can be a little expensive if you hav'nt already got them have a look on ebay at polypots

they are really cheap and thats what i grew all my veg in last yr i put the spuds in a 40 litre i can't remember the sellers name but if you want it im sure i can find it for you.

heres one i just found
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POLYPOTS-5-x-40-LITRE-PLASTIC-PLANT-POTS-GARDEN-HOME_W0QQitemZ220090632198QQihZ012QQcategoryZ20515QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

3. Sinta

Sinta Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have never grown veg in pots before, but I have heard that carrots do well in tubs. Something about the carrot fly not finding them? I'm going to be experimenting with this idea this year with a packet of carrot seeds I bought recently.

4. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi sinta i grew my carrots this year in a massive pot,very good still picking them,no carrot fly, picking the rest to get ready for freezer

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    The theory is that carrot fly buzz around at ground level looking for their victims anything higher(in tubs or pots )and they can't rise to the occasion,they must get dizzy.

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Cattwoman you seem to have done really well growing all those veg even more so in your first year of trying that really must have given you a buzz ....I'm getting all excited now and can't wait to have a go!

Those polypots are indeed a great idea, I'll keep my eye on some as I'm pretty sure I can find something to fill them.

Sinta/Walnut now if that's the case with the carrot fly I don't think I'll even bother planting any into the ground, I'll just pop some seeds into a container.

Kathy my goodness carrots still growing in Scotland I'll have to don my dark night wear and come and help myself to yours..then again maybe not I bet it's really blooming cold up there! :D
    Helen.xxx.

7. Sinta

Sinta Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the confirmation! I was wondering if it was just a rumour. I am definitely going to be planting the carrots in tubs now.

8. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi Helen
    yes it is quite cold,but considering the time of year we are lucky,no snow and the frost is gone by about lunch time.some days are mild enough to tidy in the garden.Billy is busy with foundations for greenhouse,i am desperate to get started,been reading everyones posts will wait till march before i start with seeds,weather could still turn nasty.kathyxx

9. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Helen, carrot flies don`t fly above 15" from the ground.

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Kathy your Billy must be made of hardy stuff I hope you're looking after him with plenty of hot cups of tea and maybe a little dash of something to keep them going, don't forget we want to see pictures when that greenhouse is done!

David you'll have me going outside with a measuring tape next checking how high from the ground that is..... Bob will have a right giggle at my expense as I'm always measuring this and that out on our plot! :D
    Helen.xxx.

11. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    morning Helen
    he was a (joiner) in his young days,so don't feel the cold so much,now he couldn't join hands at auld lang syne :D :D

12. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Helen, no need to go outside to measure it. 15" is 1ft 3 inches. :D [​IMG] :D

13. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I hear that carrot flies get vertigo if they get any higher. Have you ever met a real sick carrot fly?

14. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Sick as a carrot fly, I like it. Much better than sick as a parrot. Well done John. [​IMG] :D

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    David it's no good telling me that it will not stop me from 'getting it out' so to speak....I even carry a measuring tape in my handbag, sad isn't it? once upon a time I use to carry my lipstick among other things..... :( Helen.xxx.