Anybody know about voltages?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by silu, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +52,016
    These are industrial/laundrette type machines, so will be built like the proverbial brick outhouses.

I have this feeling in my gut that these are coming off an oil rig or similar......

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +54,136
    I wouldn't touch them Silu. I think someone has either bought them in Europe or moved over here with them having bought them shortly before moving. I suspect that they have had issues with the voltage too which is why they are selling them on. You don't want to be lumbered with something that could be dodgy whether it's a good price or not. Oh, if you've got floorboards you will need to reinforce the floor as they are very heavy.

Having said that I have a Miele automatic washing machine, they're the bees knees! It's 14 years old and still going strong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +52,016
      Its definitely a three pin plug, and I am 99.5% certain that all pins will be wired; a metal cased appliance is rarely without an earth. If you can find out if the mains rating is 50Hz, you could be onto a bit of a winner.

The other option is to go for them, see what the specs are in the flesh, and if they are not right flog them on?

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Can you believe it, the listing has disappeared!!!! Oh well that's put paid to that then, all very odd. I knew the machines were industrial ones which would have been good for washing horse rugs but perhaps you are right @Sheal. Where they were going to go has a concrete floor which would have been fine, but I too was beginning to get an uneasy feeling about the whole thing. Thank you very very much @fat controller. You certainly know your stuff and I've learnt quite a bit about electricity/voltages etc. Maybe I'll eventually get a Miele washing machine...in my dreams. Oh well at least I don't need to worry that I might have fused the whole house if I'd bought it. My "sticky beak" would have liked to know if the items sold and for how much but I'll never know now.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +52,016
        Someone has bagged them at the buy it now price I reckon. Pound to a penny they are off a rig or ship that is being decommissioned - if they were in good order, they could certainly have been a bit of a steal - BUT, if they have worked on a rig or a ship, they could also have had a hell of a hard life, and appliances as expensive as those cost a hell of a lot of money to fix when they go wrong.

I would have loved to go for Miele when we were buying, but their prices were beyond our budget at the time (in fact, even now to be honest); we went for Bosch in the end, and they have been 100% reliable so far (7 years and counting....)

• Like Like x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +54,136
          I always think if in doubt, don't do it Silu. :)

If you can afford the initial outlay you can't beat Miele. I bought mine as I said fourteen years ago. At the time my family, husband and three kids were all working in offices and all of them were playing sport, so you can imagine the turn around with the washing. I was wearing a brand new machine out in just over two years and doing a minimum of ten washes a week so decided to buy the Miele. It's had one repair in the time I've had it and parts aren't as expensive as you may think. It's coming to the point now where parts will need replacing as it's sounding a bit ropey, but I think it's more than paid for itself. If you compare the price and lifetime to another machine then it works out fairly even. The chap that worked on it's one and only repair to date said there are Miele's that are still working at thirty years old. :)

• Like Like x 2
          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Starting to save now! Still puzzled about the ones that got away. No buy it now was offered but maybe a private deal was struck. Sure something else will come up and didn't really need the spin drier so will console myself with that.

• Like Like x 1