Anybody seen my Hostas?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by KT53, Apr 2, 2024.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,429
    We always propagate plants for sale for our charity but have cut right back since we stopped opening our garden due to covid. We used to open our garden just for one and a half days each year and sell over a thousand plants - all propagated by Mrs Shiney (I, as general dogsbody, just filled pots with compost).

Our Hostas are either already open or just unfurling. We still get people calling to see whether we have any plants for sale and have a lot of Hostas as they are very popular. Three year old plants we sell at £3.50 - collection only. :noidea:

In the pots for sale we don't use any deterrents and have never had a problem with them. The ones that we propagate from are in giant ceramic pots with eggshells all around them which seem to work to keep slugs and snails at bay.

• Like Like x 1
    • amancalledgeorge

amancalledgeorge Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +897
      Have a look at my link @pitter-patter much more affordable...and they may have in stock soon one my favourites, Marilyn Monroe

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    • pitter-patter

pitter-patter Keen Gardener

Teacher
      Ratings:
      +1,185
      @amancalledgeorge I did look, it’s all very tempting! I like the little felt robin! Marilyn is very pretty with all those wavy edges…

• amancalledgeorge

amancalledgeorge Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +897
      I'm looking forward to Marilyn being even bigger this year @pitter-patter put her in a bigger pot last year and is now popping up. It was pretty resistant to slugs too last year. I've got far too many to move all the way to Wales but they're worth it :) the next garden seems quite wet so looking forward to planting a few in the ground.

• Like Like x 1
      • KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
        Ratings:
        +458
        I hadn't realised that Siberian Tiger was a new variety. That explains why it's comparatively expensive on some sites. Most of the hostas I've bought this year have been well under a tenner.