Anyone else grow Arisaema

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Banana Man, May 22, 2006.

1. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Hi sawfish,

I am taking a risk commenting as I have no experience of the weather in Glasgow. BUT, if you grow them as I do in pots you can control the climate they are kept in during the cold months. Then you can slip the pot into whatever bed you fancy when the spring/sumer comes. I am quite adventurous with seeing what survives and what doesn't so I would say give it ago. I have learnt what will and won't grow simply by having a bash at it. If I fail its is usually cold related and I usually find a way round protecting them or bringing them in. :D

[ 23. May 2006, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Banana Man ]

2. sawfish

sawfish Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks they seem really interesting. What type would you suggest as the most hardy?

3. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I am no expert with these but I would go with Arisaema ciliatum. It had -5 this year without any protection although it was pretty dry. Previous years only got down to -3 but quite soggy. They are also not that expensive, I think I paid about �£7 for a mature bulb. Give it ago, and if it gets really cold put a pot or a good layer of mulch over the planting site, or if in a pot bring it in.

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well i was told speciosum was most likely to survive �£2-3 so not too expensive to loose. Now as to growing in pots I do call this a cheats way of saying "grows our=tside" od "hardy" - but I know what you mean. So I watch this space with interest.

5. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I leave the pots outside which can be worse than planting them in the ground as the pots themselves freeze. They are grown in pots because of their size and would get vastly overshadowed by the jungle bruts that are planted. Plus they can smell pretty bad at their height and they are easily moved away from frequent sitting areas!

Waco is correct these claim to be hardy.

http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/7314/1?RA=tiscali

http://www.urbanjungle.uk.com/product.asp?productid=4

They aren't as tall as mine, but this could be preferable if you have a windy garden.

6. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I was going to buy one on the way home this afternoon as bulbs are now half price and had to admit banana man you had got me fired up, BUT I got delayed - wil have another go later.

I know what you mean about pots, better to stick them in the ground and give a good covering of Sh 1 T........but then do you remember when you need to, well I probably don't!

7. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    No they just sit on the patio over winter uncovered. Only when they start to stink do the pots get put on top of the bed. I have never needed to protect them down in sunny dry Essex but I bet sawfish will have to being in tropical Glasgow.

8. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    BM - for you really this, but may be of interest to others who grow arisaemas.

I have just got back from vintage car show ( I only go as there is also dog show and I had to take the shield back) this year I noticed there was a stall selling plants and I groaned as they just looked like the usual stuff people sell at these sort of dooos and if you buy anything from them it takes over your whole garden however being a plantaholic I just had to go and have a look even if I have to admit my main motivation was to look down on them in scorn (didn't enter best bitch this year!)

I passed over the solomons seal and have to say about to walk away when I found a lovely Asarum and not the bog standard green one but "splendens" with leaves almost like a cyclamen. so my attention was caught and on interviewing them it turns out they special;ise in shade loving plants.

Arisaema - going back to this, I had recently seen one at local garden centre arisaema sikok...kum can't spell it, but it was lovely and �£24 I was almost tempted especially about the bit from BM about birthday presents for ones self. Anyway this chap on the stall can get loads of Arisaema bulbs incliding the above one for ......wait for it..... �£4!!!!!

He is having an open day next weekend so I am off up there with a load of cash. Let me know if anyone wants me to look out for anything or has a special one that they thing would make a good addition to my collection.

9. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Waco you make me laugh, your brain seems to tick over at 100mph. Brilliant.

�£4, blimey. I wouldn't mind some more Arisaema sikokianum they are bloooooo*y expensive. I paid �£25 for one in growth. If they look viable I will have a few @ �£4! and pretty much anything as long as its a whopper! Ask if they would recommend one that was particulalrly huge.

We will have to sort out a swap for the couple of plants I have for you and the poly-wotsit you have for me.

BM

[​IMG]

10. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    AND thats another thing, the polywatsits, they new exactly what they were and have some different varieties of them, I will get an exact name for my variety.

I will take a camera and tape measure next sat. when I go, its not a one off so I can get stuff any time, I will just do an initial recki - having said that I have already ordered another Gunnera for �£7.50 he says the leaves on this one grow 7ft, we will have to see. Just hope it is not all a let down.

11. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Cool. Let me know how you get on. Be good if there is a polywotsit in a hot colour like yellow, red, or orange.

BM

12. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Somethings erupting, let stinkfest begin!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I went to look at them at local nursery yesterday so I know what to look for Saturday,
    I liked
    Sikokia Kum
    Draconitum
    Ringens
    Urashima Thungberdii

Let me know if there are any special ones to look out for

14. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Consanguinium - i think

[​IMG]

this one dull, though told very hardy
    [​IMG]

and this one my Voodoo stink weed (not araesima of course)
    [​IMG]

15. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I am liking the Voodoo stink weed I bet you could have quessed I would. ;)