Anyone got one of these?

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by marge, Jan 26, 2007.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    After reading all your imformative reports on cameras, I,m serously considering buying another camera was looking at the olympus E500 twinlens 8mp digital camera or the samsung gx-Il twin lens.
    Thats were you guys come in, marge hope you dont mind me asking in your section but i want to know what you guys think of either of these.
    I enjoy my little sony cyber-shot but i cant seem to get the shots i require, like when i go to take the whitley lighthouse, i get good pictures but i want better ones closer up for detail as the lighthouse is quite far off and with my sony even with the zoom not good enough.
    before i go out and spend a lot of money on one what do you think of these digital slr cameras.

2. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Youre quite welcome Rosa ;) [​IMG] I have a sony cybershot and I love it apart from the lack of zoom - thats why Im geting this one [​IMG]

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Rosa the Olympus is a great camera and I gave some thoughts to getting one. The two main reasons I didn't take the DSLR route were 1 - expense and 2 - having to carry around extra lenses to get the range I wanted. However having said that, the 18-180mm (36-360 35mm equiv) available with the Olympus gives good coverage apart from wide angle.
    If a main consideration for you is a long-range telephoto facility be aware that you'll need a very steady hand or tripod. However if you get a camera with 9 MP resolution you'll find that you should get pretty good results by cropping and "enlarging" a section of a photo taken at medium focal lengths.
    DSLR's are excellent, but before you decide I'd suggest you browse a few reviews and also look at some of the "top end" non SLR digitals as in general they are a bit cheaper and will in most cases give you the long focal length you want.

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks marge & DaveW for your replies, thinking about getting the fuji S9600 is it the same one you are getting marge its a fixed lens SLR, 9 megapixel. 10.7 x optical zoom and has a 10 mb internal memory with a usb cable.
    What i would like to know it only comes with AA batteries can you buy a battery charger for this camera and with the usb cable will i be able to upload my pictures onto this computer packard bell xp home edition.
    normally like my sony camera it is pictbridge compatible and this fuji, there is no mention of this.

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    just to add i noticed that DaveW has this camera also and i clicked onto fuji website and see you can get the battery charger and other exras, what i like about it the zoom is attached to the camera.
    Any advice regarding above and anything else you feel you can add will be greatly appreciated.
    looked at the sony slr it had everything with it but very expensive, for the price of some of them you could update your pc so i decided not to go down that route.

6. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes mines the s9600 Rosa - but I dont think it has any internal memory - will let you know when it arrives ;) I have ordered it from Amazon cos it seemed like the best deal. I wanted a 1gb memory stick and a bag - I looked at other sites but, cos Amazon offered free postage and the memory stick was so much cheaper, I went for them. Incidently, the price instore at Dixons was �£70 odd dearer than Dixons online - amazing :eek:

7. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Rosa, you may find that you can get a Ni-MH battery charger elsewhere cheaper. I use one that I bought a couple of years ago that charges Ni-CAD and Ni-MH. I'd recommend you get a couple of sets of 2700 mAh batteries as they last for ages and are not terribly expensive (try Ebay and you'll find Fuji 2700 mAh batteries at about �£7.98). Another thing to consider is the memory card. Fuji punt their own xD card and don't give much info about using the alternative CF cards which I think may be a bit cheaper and faster. If you do go for CF, don't be tempted to go for the latest and fastest as the camera's software can't run at that speed. (I'm using a 1 MB xD and 4 MB CF and got the 4 MB mainly to record video)
    One other thing to think about is a UV filter to protect the camera lens from dust and scratches. You'll find good quality Hoya 58mm UV filters for about �£13.
    Oh - you'll find you can just plug in the camera and download via a USB port without problem. You don't even need the Fuji software, as your PC will see the card in the camera as an extra drive in "My Computer" and all you need to do is "drag and drop".

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    marge yes its got 10 mb internal memory and found out kandfloss hubby has the same camera he had to buy the extras for his, charger. she is going to ask him tonight what else came with his as i want to know about the usb lead.also DaveW has the same camera he will be able to tell us what came with his fuji.

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for your info DaveW does this camera come with a usb lead and will i have to buy a memory stick for the pictures.will buy a charger as this comes with AA batteries and they dont last 5 minutes, have a charger for my sony and when charged i can use it for at least 2 weeks before i have to charge it up.

10. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive already got a quick charger too - but will get some more rechargable batts. I got a big enough case to hold a couple of personal things when I go off snapping to save taking another bag ;)

11. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Yes Rosa you get a USB lead and also a video lead for connection to a TV. You will need to buy a memory card (not quite the same format as a memory stick) as it doesn't come as part of the standard package. You might find one included as part of a "special offer" though.
    The internal memory is not used for storage.

You can download the owner's manual in .pdf format - it gives the full specifications here -

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/technical/folder.pl?id=1

12. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ITS HERE!!!!! [​IMG] :D [​IMG] :D All Ive got to do now is hobble up the garden and try it out without getting blown away!! :D

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi marge will get a holder bag for it and a recharable battery also.

DaveW thanks when i get the usb lead will i be able to upload the pictures like i do with my sony, will have to remember its a memory card that i will need, what is the internal memory on the camera used for as it has 10mb.
    will check and download the owners manual thank you.
    my daughter is buying my sony off me as i will really not need 2 cameras with that i can buy all the extras i need for the new fuji, cant wait to get it, very exciting.

14. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    oh marge how exciting let me know what you got with yours and tell us all about it, cant wait to get mine.

15. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Rosa the internal camera memory is used to store an image before it gets written to the memory card.
    Yes you should be able to transfer the images to your PC in the same way that you did with your Sony. There are several ways to do it. You can use the Fuji software, you may be able to use any Sony software on your PC, or you can simply "drag and drop" the files by opening "My Computer" then opening the Fuji drive where you'll see your photos - choosing "select all" and dragging and dropping into a folder on your PC. There are other ways but I like to do it this way. I also choose the "move" rather than "copy" option as it deletes the files from the camera at the same time.