Apologies Mk2 .....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Webmaster, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Just to let everyone know, Duncan (who is going to perform the magic) has joined GC.

Make him welcome ....... Not that I need to remind anyone of that [​IMG]

2. webadmin

webadmin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - thought I would show my face here and explain the disruptions.... :D

But, I see Nate has already summarised it pretty well.

The migration process is very memory intensive and requires the program loading into its memory all the posts from a thread and then running through these one at a time and inputting them into the database.

All was going great guns churning through 200,000 posts without too much trouble with the increased memory allowance that Titan had been persauded to give. Then.... it got to the threads in the games area and just at this time Titan noticed a huge increase in memory useage so switched it back to the previous lower setting, just as it was trying to process the posts on the alphabetical movie game thread LOL... bless it - it just couldn't cope and started throwing its toys out of the pram and would not finish that thread. It just kept stalling then starting from the begining again .... arggggghhh.

Anyway, the plan is to move over all the existing site (temporarily) to my development server where I can give it as much memory allowance as it needs to get through the job.

Long and short of it is that we will have some more downtime but hopefully it is the last time.

Fingers crossed :D

ps - I love gardening too and try to spend as much time doing it as I can if I am not glued to a screen for 18 hours a day :( or indulging my mid-life crisis with fast cars ;)

3. webadmin

webadmin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    pps - sorry it didnt work

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,092
    Welcome, Duncan, and thank you for everything you are doing. My t'other half is into this so I know where you are coming from ... and he tries to explain it to me but sorry it washes over my head. :rolleyes:

Hopefully all will go well third time around ...

Nice to know there's another motor freak around ... [​IMG]

Hope you'll stay with us for a while ... enjoy!

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Welcome Duncan,thanks for all your efforts perhaps we could skip the games area maybe start it anew once the site is up and running i'm sure we can live without it after all it's the gardening that's important,good luck anyway i'm sure you will succeed.

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Guys you are doing a great job and you know the old saying 'Good things come to those that wait'.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be at a lost without this wonderful forum and all the lovely guys and gals on here but I'm sure that we are all prepared to have a few days 'off' for you to sort out the change over.

Keep up the good work guys and good luck....oh and welcome to the forum Duncan may your fingers be quick, your mind alert and get it all sorted without too much hurt! :D Good luck third time round. [​IMG] Hel.xxx.

7. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Welcome Duncan,thanks for the hard work you
    are all doing, i am sorry that it did not work second time,but we all have great faith that it will be third time lucky [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry it all went awry again fellas.

Welcome Duncan - thanks for all your input. This place means a hec of a lot to us and everything you are doing is really appreciated. It'll be great when all this is done and you can come on the forum, relax and enjoy it like the rest of us do!

Nathan - please don't discount wholly, the idea of voluntary contributions from members if it means the site can keep going from strength to strength. A couple of quid from lots of us would make a nice secure nest egg for the future running of the place. Why not set up a G.G. Paypal account which would make the odd donation really easy?

Thanks.

9. webadmin

webadmin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank everyone.

All set up ready and waiting on my server for the data. A test transfer will occur later today to make sure that the two boxes will talk to each other :D

10. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,955
  11. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Welcome to GC Duncan.

We are waiting patiently to
    be migrated [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I agree that the 'games' could be discarded
    and easily restarted in the new forum if
    this would save a lot of space and time.

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Helloooooo Duncan, and welcome to GC [​IMG]

13. webadmin

webadmin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan - what are your thoughts on this?

14. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome Duncan! andI am sure you are doing all you can.Who needs the games,most of us want the gardening. [​IMG]

15. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Nathan - what are your thoughts on this? </font>[/quote]Not a problem with me, we can restart afresh with new areas .......... And if I get my way with the games 'add-on', you may well enjoy them more ;)