1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Blossoms Pond Project and Progress

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Apple Blossom, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,028
    @Anthony Rogers you must have read my mind...... I'm currently looking at Iris but I don't want them to overtake the pond.... I'm looking for more of the miniature/mid height varieties so that I can add a little height... lots of colour....and great for wild life... I don't mind some height but not so much that it takes away the ambience of the pond.... I'm probably asking too much!!!

I just love the Black Gamecock and Anne Chowning.... just so different. You certainly purchased your selection for a fantastic price... :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Anzia

Anzia Gardener

Ratings:
      +516
      It's looking great AB! How lovely to have a dragonfly visitor checking it all out :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
        +3,028
        Good Morning Anzia, thank your for you kind comment......I'm hoping more will come today as the sun is out..... so my camera is fully charged and ready :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
          Ratings:
          +1,217
          Looking lovely Apple Blossom. Great job.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
            +724
            Good grief! I don't log in to GC for a day and there's a hundred messages to catch up on! Great work AB! You've done a great job. I can almost hear the waterfall just by looking at the waterfall photo :fishing:

Perhaps you could tend to the pond whilst laying on a lilo? Dry feet and a source of entertainment for Mr AB? :heehee:

It's always nice to keep some details out of the thread and reveal them later. I, too, have some plants which are going to be kept quiet until they emmerge next year. :mute:

My workload is crazy at the moment. Spent all day planning lessons and it looks like I'm going to be spending 6pm-10pm each evening planning lessons through the week. All in all... if these plants come during the week then they will have to wait until the weekend or be planted in the moonlight :scratch: I have no time (or spare money!) to buy yet more plants :frown:

I may take a quick peek at the catalogue though :heehee:

If you've got cement or concrete etc around then you will naturally get flies hanging around. They love the salt in the cement! Happens all the time. With the water/cement combo you've got, the dragonflies will love it! If you can get some plants in there before the cement dries then they will hopefully get a feel for the place and pay another visit :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
              +3,028
              Good Evening @Radiation91, glad I'm not the only one who gets to do homework at home :heehee: I empathise with you as that is exactly what happens to me...and all best laid plans have to wait, no doubt you will be an eager beaver at the weekend and will get a lot done :)

Thank you for the tip about the cement/concrete... I never know that... we have achieved a lot today but still a lot of tidying up to do ... now that the cement has dried on the top... we will or should I say... Mr AB will.... cement all the edges in neatly and then the water level can be raised so it should start to look good.

I got up this morning and thought..... I really don't like the colour scheme or look of the waterfall.... so I went off in a rush to Water World in Romsey to see if I could find more interesting coloured rocks to give the waterfall a better ambience....

P1020763.JPG

Purchased some lights whilst we were there so glad I re-arranged the waterfall so the leads were easily put through and tied together and left some gaps for planting

P1020766.JPG

Lots of stones added along the edge so that wild life can have a visit and somewhere to sit by the waterside..

P1020771.JPG

Love the colour of the new rocks so much more appeal

P1020773.JPG

Tess pleading for a walk... bless her... or it could have been the pulled pork sandwich I was eating :doggieshmooze:

P1020777.JPG

Just going dust so leaving the lights on to see if they need any adjustments..

P1020782.JPG

Its difficult to take a good photo... but the lights are proving to be great..:dancy:

P1020805.JPG

We had a few more visits by some lovely coloured dragonflies again today.... however I was that wet paddling around in the pond I had no chance of grabbing my camera... but hopefully as it comes together we will see a few more of them :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
              • Anzia

Anzia Gardener

Ratings:
                +516
                The lights look great! Fab effect.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
                  +3,028
                  That's a good idea Rad.......... I could keep him entertained by promising him a good lunch:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
                    +3,028
                    Thank you Anzia..... it looks so much better by the eye...and I'm really pleased with the way its coming along :yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +8,435
                      I love the lights AB :dbgrtmb:, they look great, you really have done a great job :hapydancsmil:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
                        +3,028
                        Thank you Beckie :spinning:, If anything I wish the leads had of been longer so that I could have spread them a little bit more, these people who design them need to get a grip and not be so restrictive in their thoughts..... I mean who wants lights right by the side of each other :scratch:

I'm looking forward now to choosing interesting plants to fill it, but may have to ask my GC friends for a little bit of help and advice :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
                          +724
                          I arrived at school today at 7am, spent the day there, came home, planned lessons and now it's 9pm. That's a non stop shift on my first day back. That's without marking or extras! sheeesh. Also got a killer headache and sore throat. Kids are so loud compared to a nice quiet garden! I spent a couple of minutes sat on the patio (on the bare ground) and tried to clear my head but it's nowhere near as therpeutic as your pond looks. :frown:

Glad you're managing to find time to play with the pond... it looks amazing! I'm very jealous and think it looks wonderful! Keep up the good work :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
                            +3,028
                            Good Evening @Radiation91, first day back sounded horrendous. You should get a ferret and a whistle like Arni in Kinder Garden Cop......

Don't shout..... Whistle......

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hope you headache is passing... just think of the relaxing weekend you have in your lovely garden :dbgrtmb:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
                            • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                              +0
                              Hi Apple Blossom,

I don't know what to say, it's all looking absolutely fantastic :)

Did you get the Fuchsia Procumbens seeds to trail over the edges ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
                                +3,028
                                Good Evening Anthony.... Ahhh :ThankYou: so much for your kind comment :wub2:its very much appreciated :)

Still a lot of work to be done and weather permitting all the concreting and finishing off can be finished with a chance of it drying... so much rain has just prolonged the job which was really annoying :sad:

I just love Fuchsia Procumbens... I wasn't sure if it was better to buy the plant or seeds and to be honest I've been that busy with work commitments and most of my evenings have been taken up preparing presentations so not had much time to really research them :frown:. And to be honest I'm not sure if its the right time of year :noidea:

• Like Like x 1