1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Aquilegia seedlings: advice please.

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by "M", Oct 26, 2016.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    So, my @shiney aquilegias have set seed (about blooming time, I say! ) but they are teeny little things, no bigger than one inch. I like that they have settled themselves in a space they feel is appropriate; but, I would like to transplant them into the front garden (if possible).

So, bog basic beginner question: could they be successfully transplanted now? (It is rather mild).
    If not, then when?

Thank you :dbgrtmb:

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I would leave them where they are now for the Winter, as although they won't show much growth above ground they will be setting out a good root system.
    Then in the Spring as top growth appears and the soil warms up it will be easier to transplant them and they'll settle in quicker.

Is there any particular reason you need to transplant them now.... Do you need that piece of ground for planting ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,500
      I'd be inclined to use the 'suck and see' method. If you have a number of them I would move some of them now and leave the rest for the Spring. Water them first (necessary here in Shineyland because our garden is still suffering from drought) and do your best not to disturb the soil immediately around the roots when you lift them.

This would depend on how many you have and how close they are together.

Don't forget to thank the parent/parents first. :dbgrtmb:

I always thank my plants for doing well - or apologise if I have to damage them. :noidea: :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Thank you, both!

I don't need to move them to make that space available for anything else; the main reason for wanting to move them is to put them in the front patch. I'm aiming for a colourful Spring front garden and thought they would add to the effect.
        I'll run with that idea. That way I've taken both pieces of advice from the responses: win-win!! :dbgrtmb: :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830
          If it were me I would dig up some of the seedlings and pot them up, keep them in a coldframe or greenhouse until spring and then plant them where you want them to flower. I think if they are coddled a bit they are more likely to flower a little in their first year.

• Like Like x 3