Armed Forces redundancies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by capney, Apr 4, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I think its a disgrace.

I could rant for ages about how much respect I have for our servicemen and women, and how much contempt I have for anyone (not just politicians) who fails to recognise that they deserve our respect, but that would make for one long post.

But objectively, even if the word 'respect' had no meaning whatsoever, it still makes no sense at all. We keep getting involved in other people's wars, our people keep getting sent to be shot at on the other side of the world. Yet they (governments past and present) keep cutting the military.

But what I find to be an even more bitter pill to swallow, is that if the media is to be believed (something I'm sceptical about), a lot of people either just won't care, or will be glad. Going back a few years there was a campaign in some village, with residents complaining about the noise from the RAF fighter jets as the pilots did their low flying practice. I remember it being on the news about residents of another village complaining about the army vehicles from the nearby garrison spoling their pretty village, and more recently we hear rumblings of the soldiers being blamed for going to war in Iraq and Afganistan.

The country has gone to pot.

A few years ago (back in the 1990s I think) the law of treason was scrapped. It was the last offence that you could still be hanged for, and was defined as something like 'knowingly doing, or threatening to do, anything which compromised the security and safety of the monarch or the monarch's nation or people'. By that definition (whatever the exact wording was) I reckon it would be an act of treason to lay off servicemen and women and make other defence cuts at a time when we're already engaged in 3 wars (Iraq, Afganistan and now Libya) while trouble is also brewing in the rest of the middle east.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,000

He's ruined it now by posting once more. Isn't it called a Nelson? :heehee:

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    With 10 ones John it had to be a triple Nelson plus.:dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb:, As you say, he had to go and spoil it.:heehee::heehee::heehee:

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,101
    Oi Dai, your off topic.:D

Wonder if I'll ever get all 2s.

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    If you get all the 6`s you will condemn us all. :yess::yess::yess: