1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Arum / Calla Lilies

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by bleujenn, Jul 6, 2006.

1. bleujenn

bleujenn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Are Arum and Calla lilies the same thing :confused: I want to plant some in my pond, the garden centre has lots of different colour rhizomes - are they all suitable for ponds, or do I need a specific type and would I be better buying an established plant form an aquatics centre?

Hope I don't soumd to stupid, I am a real gardening novice - but willing to learn. Thanks

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    Dont think it sounds stupid bleujenn.
    I'm not 100% certain but I think its only the white one, called Zantedeschia aethiopica (arum lilly) that is suitable for growing in a pond.
    However calla lilly and arum lilly, I think, are the common name for plants that are grouped under Zantedeschia, dont think the other more colourfull ones would survive the winter under water, but I've not tried it myself.

3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    My Zantedeschia aethiopica "Crowbright" just survived being kicked out all winter, but it may do better to be a little dryer when it gets cold as half of it rotted.

4. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Pete's right bleujenn - the white Z. aethiopica copes well with being partly submerged. In its native southern Africa, it is a marshland plant only becoming dormant when water is scarce. It thrives when given copious watering and feeding, quickly becoming a very large plant. It will do extremely well with you in Cornwall.

Conversely, the various coloured forms, which are mostly hybrids between Z. rehmanii, albo-maculata and pentlandii are dependent upon a well-defined resting period when the tubers must be allowed to become almost dry. Unlike Z. aethiopica, they do not appreciate lavish feeding and need careful watering to avoid rotting.

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi, yes in total agreement. The white Arums Z. aethiopica can be planted as marginals, but not the coloured ones. Have my Callas in pots that I overwinter in a cool greenhouse. My Arums are in the garden by the pond though & quite happy. I did find this out though, as a planting & care guide. :cool:
    Plant callas lilies outdoors in a location that gets bright, morning light. They like some late afternoon shade, particularly in hot-summer areas. Keep them well-watered and weeded. Callas grow best in a moist soil that includes some organic matter. Plant the bulbs 4 to 6 inches deep and 1 to 2 feet apart. They can be planted 6 to 12 inches apart when grown in pots. Fertilize monthly with a good all-purpose fertilizer.

When to plant callas:
    Although calla lilies are known as 'spring bulbs,' in tropical climates or USDA zones 8-10, ( we are probably around 6-7 here you may be more like 7-8 in Cornwall but not sure) calla lilies thrive outdoors year-round. They can be planted at any time!

In other areas, they can be planted when temperatures rest higher than 55 degrees F (below 55 degrees, calla lilies stop growing). Just make sure that there is no danger of frost or of temperatures dropping below 55 degrees in the first 12 weeks after planting..
    During the winter:
    In tropical climates (zones 8-10), calla lilies can be left in the ground over winter without trouble, although some gardeners prefer to mulch with bark or straw during the colder months.

In other areas, lift the bulbs before the first frost, clean off excess soil, let dry out of the direct sun for a few days, then store in a dry location that remains between 50 and 60 degrees F. Re-plant in spring after the soil has warmed and all danger of frost has passed. ...!!
    [​IMG] Hope this helps.. [​IMG]

6. bleujenn

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much you guys, I know what I'm doing now - with Arum Lilies anyway [​IMG]

7. bleujenn

Ratings:
    +0
    I am so chuffed - I've managed to acquire an avatar
    Have to show it off - sorry

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :D Like it Bleujenn...!! :D Good luck with the lilies.... ;) :D

9. bleujenn

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, off to buy the lilies today - special thanks to Marley Farley for your advice :D
    and Waco if we ever get icicles like that in Cornwall it will signal the start of a new ice age!!!

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,514
    I decided to go for a pink form of Z.Aethiopica while I was ordering canna tubers last march. It has had one flower (I wasn't expecting any more) but disappointingly it was barely pink at all, just a flush at the base. :( Perhaps next year when more established it will intensify. [​IMG]

11. bleujenn

Ratings:
    +0
    Hope so strongylodon,
    I went for an established white plant, I don't have the expertise to try tubers yet, maybe in a year or two I will have the confidence to try [​IMG]

12. sash

sash Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wantto grow arum lillies in a natural rain water pond do I need to put anything other than the rain water in?

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi Sash & welcome...
    :)You can do a wildlife pond in anything from a large planter to an old bath. Really any container will do, or build a pond.... !!! ;) You MUST make sure there is a place where they can get in & out easily. Pile stones to make a ramp if nothing else... [​IMG] Have a look at these links. I am sure they will help you.. Let us know how you get on... [​IMG]

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jamie.bajer/index.htm

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/conker/pond-dip/pond-making.htm

http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/pond/pond_pages.htm

This should help too... ;) Just remember not to put too many plants in to start with as they all grow so quickly....!! :eek:

Marginal plants come in all shapes and sizes. They generally sit at the edge of the pool with the water lapping more or less at soil level. Some plants do revel in a depth up to 15cm as in the case of the Menyanthes trifoliata (bog bean) or Iris pseudacorus (the flag Iris) which makes some people like to classify some of the plants as deep water marginals, but these plants are generally tolerant of any depth and will grow out to the deeper depth anyway.

Marginal plants have the dual function of softening the edges of the pool area and using up the mineral resources in the pool. They provide secure cover for wildlife and act as a jetty for the activities of wildlife in and around the pool. Early spring colour, the beauty of them in reflection and their often striking foliage also help make them an essential ingredient for the water garden.

Allow at least one plant for every 0.5sq m (5 sqft). Plant them in aquatic baskets and place them in groups of the same variety in larger pools. In smaller pools, I am not sure that having more than one species in one basket works, certainly not in the long run. One of them always seems to win out over all the others.

Beware of what you choose, if there were ever any hooligans in the plant world, then a good number of them would be found amongst the plants often sold a marginal plants. For owners of smaller pools, be particularly cautious in choosing some of the larger and indigenous marginal plants like Typha (Reed Mace), Scirpus (Bulrush), Phragmites australis (Norfolk Reed). They are definitely questionable bedfellows. But you will find that even with these fast rooting, shooting pond fillers, their misbehaviour is moderated by a good cross section of other more ponderous representativ

[​IMG]

14. sash

sash Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Marley farley,
    thanks for that information, as I have children I thought of making a shallow natural pond using railway sleepers and planting arum lillies only. I have saved the websites and shall refer to them when I start. Happy Gardening!

15. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125