Aspidistra leaf browning

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Royster, Sep 3, 2006.

1. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I've just been looking up details of aspidistras, and found one VERY intersting bit of info - well I think so anyway - and uf Hornbeam doesn't already know it, (unlikely, I know!! :D ), he'll be delighted to see what this has to say about slugs and snails....
    http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Aspidistra+elatior

2. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Dendrobium - amazing that they are pollinated by slugs and snails!! So I guess popping them outside during summer is a good idea if you want to see the flowers. I have to presume that these little critters will not wish to feast on the lovely dark green leaves?

Cheers!
    Roy

3. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I have read that slugs and snails pollinate aspisdistras, but I have also heard that it is a myth and untrue. Still - something must pollinate the flowers at ground level so perhaps its beetles.

4. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hornbeam, I am starting to get confused, my friend. Never mind, I get confused when I read simple poetry so it doesn't take much.
    I do like the "legend" that slugs pollinate Aspidistras so I'll spread that word - folks will be well impressed!

Cheers!
    Roy