Attracting Newts to my pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by nickp, Apr 30, 2009.

1. nickp

nickp Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi - i have a small pond 1.5m x 1m - is there anything I can do to attract newts to my pond?

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,586
    I don't think there is, they do not travel long distances like Toads do so they would have to be in the vacinity maybe using a nearby pond.

3. water-garden

water-garden Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Only asking, so how did they get to the "nearby" pond?

4. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The nearest pond to me is about 1/4 mile away but newts arrived immediately, as did the toads. But I live in the country and where it isn't farmed intensively or managed - nobody goes round tidying it up.

Your pond might be a bit small but I'm no expert.

Best way to watch newts is at night with a torch

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Many years ago I caught 3 pairs of common newts from a pond not far away caught them in the breeding season and they multiplied,now there is a thriving colony and most of the ponds in gardens near to have been visited,my frogs came all on their own.

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,586
    I don't know, it was just a suggestion . Mine just appeared two years after I put the pond in, as there are no natural streams or ponds nearby (obviously they need water to breed) I assumed they came from another local garden pond.

7. Aaoi

Aaoi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it really matters how small the pond is, i built a pond at my parents house and its filled with newts. I think the most important thing is to make sure it's standing water with lots of plants and weeds, also the area around the pond is really important as they spend most of the day lounging under rocks and plants so make sure there are lots of spaces for them to hide in.
    I'm a big fan of letting nature take it's course so i hardly ever clean the pond or mess with it and frogs and newts just love it, and they repay me by eating slugs and snails!

8. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    We have a small pond and I would love to have some newts. We have lots of frogs but I have never seen a newt. It is suburbia here maybe that is why? I have rocks and bushes at the back that they can use as hidey holes.

9. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    We have a small pond (this is the 3rd year) and last year stumbled across a newt - we haven't seen one since, but they are there, hiding!! I have no idea where it came from, but the frogs moved in straight away. You may well already have newts - but just haven't seen them.

10. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    I hope so Honeybee, we do have problems with keeping the water clean, hopefully when we get the filter it will help.

11. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    to check for newts , go out at night and look in the pond with a torch - you will be amazed at what you see