Autumn sown tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Blackthorn, Oct 27, 2006.

1. luckyboo

luckyboo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The bottom leaves of my smaller tomato plant is turning yellow and dying. This did not happen to any of my tomatoes earlier this year. Any ideas?

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Luckyboo, where are you keeping it?

3. luckyboo

luckyboo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Inside where's it's very warm and sometimes when it's mild out, I take them outside for a bit then back indoors.

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not sure then. Are they getting enough light?

5. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    With the low light now and fluctuating day/night temperatures I would expect the lower leaves to turn yellow at this time of year. No problem with that, just so long as they don't all turn yellow!

Throttle back the watering a bit to balance the slower growth rate or they might be wrotting. I always wait until they really need a drink before watering otherwise there may not be enough oxygen in the soil for growth.

I have grown tomatoes all year round and they will need a lot of looking after thro' the winter, with very little yield. More of a challenge than anything! Hope this helps, good luck! ;)