Baban's Brood

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by terrier, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Awww they are sooo cute Terrier...!!!! So nice to see them in a "home" environment too...!!:thumb: I bet you have a long waiting list....:)

:) It is great to see you take such care in homing them.. I have rescued dogs now for many years & although I go to the same place for them, they always check you out which I don't mind & like to see......:thumb: I keep in touch with them throughout the year & support their fund raising efforts....

2. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Although we're not official WT rescue, we keep in touch with the rescue organisations and help out where we can, sometimes looking after unwanted WT's and sometimes finding suitable homes for them. Unfortunately, some breeders will let them go to anyone with money to spend and they end up in totaly unsuitable families. There are people who will just buy on a whim without doing their research into the behaviour patterns of different breeds. A lot of the WT's we get for rehoming are young dogs between eight and twelve months old, just when they become too much for people to handle. If possible we give advice to the owners to try and help but usually, by the time they get in touch with rescue, the matter has got out of hand and they want rid ASAP. So the big breeders get the money and the RSPCA and dog rescues are left to pick up the pieces. We get told horror stories of how bad the dogs are and how they can't be controlled to the point that the people really become afraid of them. Within a couple of days of them coming to us, they relax and become the lovable creatures we know they can be. All they require is a little understanding and lots of TLC.(and lots of other WT's to play with helps as well :) )

...I think I might just have had a little rant there... :o

3. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    To kick off today's episode, I thought you might like to see the puppies Dad...

[​IMG]

25th May and the time is racing away. It only seems like last week the puppies were born and now we've got just under two weeks to get them ship shape for their first big adventure into the outside world going solo. The weaning has gone to plan and Baban has all but finished feeding them, in another week she'll be calling 'time' and the milk bar will be well and truly closed for business. They are continually growing at a steady rate and all three have developed their own personality.

[​IMG]

I can do that, Mum!
    [​IMG]

With all the running about in the garden,the pups are getting quite strong and soon Baban will start the process of 'teaching' them how to look after themselves. This can be quite a worrying event for the uninitiated! She will pick on the least bravest of the pups, single it out and 'worry' it, at times getting quite nasty with it, pushing it around,baring her teeth and growling menacingly. She will carry on doing this until the puppy has finally 'had enough' and decides to do something about it. Even the smallest pups, if they are threatened in this way, will find it in them to defend themselves and believe me, they can give as good as they get and it's a lesson they'll never forget. Babs will do this to each puppy in turn until she is happy they can survive what life can throw at them.

[​IMG]

We now start to call them by the names decided on by their new families and they soon learn to respond to that name instead of them all being called 'Puppy'. Also, the 'grooming' sessions start now. With them being double coated they will need a lot of attention throughout their life so the sooner they get used to being handled in that way, the easier it will be for the dog grooming sessions as they get older.

Sharing
    [​IMG]

4. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    He's a handsome fella Terrier, And great photos of mum and the pups especially the one on the step, brilliant!:thumb:

5. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanx 02. It's funny to see the pups running around watching what the other dogs do, next minute they're copying them. They're great time wasters :)

6. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've only just seen this thread and it was lovely to watch the development of the puppies:thumb:

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    ditto, great shots and a nice breed.

8. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the comments. Prospective puppy people say to us that it's sad they miss out on the early days and only get to see the pups at any great length after eight weeks when they take them home, so we keep a record in pictures of the pups from birth to eight weeks and make the pics available on the web. I thought it would be nice to put it on here as a sort of puppy blog as it would be pretty much the same for any breed.
    We're comming to the end now, but there will be two more installments before the eight weeks... and then people start sending US pics of THEIR dogs :)

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Great watching the pups develop terrier my family have followed their progress avidly,thank you for the great shots.:thumb:

10. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Terrier, thanks for the update. I can well imagine that they are indeed great 'time waters':) didn't know that about mum worrying them. Is that all dogs or bitches i should say? don't remember Joyce doing it when she had her pups, but then we didn't hear her bark for the first 6 months! Maybe she did it quietly! Anyway, interesting point.

cheers

11. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I guess all bitches would do it to an extent, but it depends on the breed. These feisty little Terriers won't normally look for a fight but if they are attacked will not back down.
    Another milestone happened today. I don't know if you've read my posts about these dogs in the past, but I've mentioned that first thing in the morning, the old dog, Megan, will start to howl ( just like a wolf) and then all the others will join in. Well, the pups have all had their barks for a few weeks now, but today, when I let Baban out for a run in the garden without the pups and they started to bark, one of them started to howl. The others looked in amazement at the noise. Then all three of them threw their heads back and howled at the top of their voices. They really looked as if they enjoyed that :)

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    terrier great photos, dad is lovely and that pic on the step is a fab shot would be great framed or even a water colour of it.
    as you were saying the new owners not seeing their pup for 8 weeks, my breeder of rosa took pics for me and she also let me go to hers in-between to see her and take pics myself, depends how far the new owners live from you i was lucky rosa wasnt that far 30 minutes drive which wasnt too bad.
    wish all the pups well and happy in their new homes, bless them they are georgeous. xxx

13. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    So you've got your dawn chorus now terrier:)

Never seen my Joyce go for another dog but will defend herself & the one time it happened in the street, the neighbours couldn't believe it was her! Like anyone she will defend.

Try & push in some more photos before you lose them, won't you please.

cheers

14. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Where have the last seven weeks gone? In a few more days we'll be handing the pups over to their new people to start their new life. It's always a shame to break up the puppy pack but they are getting very independent of each other and now Baban isn't feeding them any more, they are less reliant on her.
    They've had their final health check and are all strong and lively pups. By mid week they will be micro chipped and given a final wash and brush up and have their coats and claws trimmed. The boss terrier man came over on Sunday to check them out and was very impressed with them all
    Just to think, in just over four months time, this little girl will be eligible to be shown as minor puppy in her first dog show. The competition better watch out...

[​IMG]

They are all quite happy to be groomed and show no fear when handled, in fact they keep coming back for more even when it's not their turn. This is an important part of their early learning so that they are not stressed when they have to be groomed later by other people.
    At the age of four to five weeks, the pups havn't yet learned to 'play' with toys. This happens between 6 and seven weeks, then they suddenly discover the world is one big play toy for them, especially when mum joins in

[​IMG]

They've also discovered my greenhouse is a wonderfull place to play hide and seek between the tomato plants :)
    When they eventually get tired, thy are still young enough to cuddle up together to sleep but when awake, the puppy scrapping is starting to get more serious. Eight weeks is a good time to separate them before they get any stronger and start falling out.
    After a hard day in the garden, little Harri claims the bed whilst his two sisters find the last rays of sun comming through the window. Mum claims her usual spot on the sofa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nearly there...

15. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Oh Terrier as you say, where has the time gone, they are so big now. I dont know about you missing them, but I know I will.:( I've loved the updates you have given us, and the lovely photo's. I'm sure the house will seem pretty quiet without them. It's good to know they will be going to loving homes, and thats the main thing.:D:thumb: