Bad Word Filter

Discussion in 'Site Feedback/Bugs' started by Kristen, Jun 21, 2014.

1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    Bloody hell! I just read through six pages to suggest that and it was already done!

Lots of interesting points though. I certainly had never considered the problems that the filter would cause someone with dyslexia.
    In my day to day life (mostly at work or behind the wheel) I swear like a trooper. One of my favourite authors is Iain Banks. But for some reason I don't see the point of effing and blinding on public discussion forums (including YouTube).
    The other thing that winds me up is the use of "like" and "literally" (as in; I was like literally so annoyed):gaah:. I was sat on the bus one day and the girls behind could not use a sentence without either or both of these words in. In the end I had enough and said something - one of the girls pointed out that she got an A in her English GCSE so I remarked that she was living proof that a chimp could get an A in modern a GCSE:yes:

Rant over.

I hope that our standards will not slip with this new feature. Mine will remain off even though it does not offend me.

• Like Like x 2
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,455
      Bad language, in itself, doesn't offend me but, like you, I think indiscriminate use of it is offensive.

It seems to me that a lot of younger people who use it simply lack the vocabulary to express what they mean. That, I think, can be laid at the feet of parents and teachers. There seems to be little incentive to extend vocabulary nowadays, although there appears to be a movement to get children reading more. I hope it works.

The continuous use of words such as "like" and "literally" are bad habits that are difficult to break. What was prevalent in my younger days was the use of "Y'know" but, in those days, teachers were allowed to 'encourage' :heehee: children not to use it.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,091
      I beg to differ - they have a huge vocabulary, but an understanding of the "mechanics" of the English language that borders on zero.

As I say, in certain situations I am one of the worst. But certain comedy and drama doesn't work without it. Bill Hicks was incredibly articulate, so the use of bad language never seemed lazy as it had impact (LANGUAGE WARNING)........................

• Like Like x 2
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Hadn't considered that, what a good idea, must save the MODs a lot of time banning barstewards :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Also not allowed to mention a certain brand of sheepskin boots.

• Like Like x 2
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,668
            :) No loss ... I remember having to buy some off Oz eBay - "reasonably affordable" compared to the rip-off markup in UK. Detested them as was sure ?? that they could not be good for posture etc.

• Like Like x 1
            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              online pharmacy

EDIT: well that one gets through. We buy very cheapo hay fever tablets online (do wonder about antimalarials which were really expensive when our daughter went to Borneo

• Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +51,884
                Just to chip in on this - firstly, GC is not only the best gardening forum on the net, but one of the best forums on the net full stop, and there is a reason for that - - the members. The vast majority of members (if not all) of this site are intelligent, reasoned individuals who not only have some self respect, but also have respect for others, and on that basis I do not envisage that the profanity count will suddenly increase now that we have the option to view or filter.

Also, to pick up on your points above @shiney - I for one would class any excessive, aggressive or personally pointed profanities as in breach of Rule 6 - Peace & Harmony, and anyone falling foul would be advised/dealt with accordingly.

Swearing/profanity can have its place in a humorous way, or indeed an expressive way - however, there is no call for anyone to use profanities to be deliberately controversial or abusive, and put simply conduct of that nature would not be tolerated here on GC. I am sure (knowing the type of members that we have) that anyone falling foul of this will be a rare occurrence.

Whilst I am writing, I'd also like to say thanks to Rich for the swift response to helping us move forward with this. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 4
                • Agree Agree x 4
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +122,455
                  Well said, FC :blue thumb:

Apologies to Rich for not acknowledging his prompt actions :love30: :)

• Like Like x 3