Banana seeds

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Waco, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] Musa can be very slow sometimes Waco... Just look at them now & then...... You know the old saying... "A watched pot never boils"...... [​IMG] :rolleyes: :D

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for encouragement both of you, I do check them twice a day as I am still making the temperature shifts for night and day.

Seed packet said 1-3 months, so I will hang in there
    thanks

3. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for crashing your thread Waco, I've just put 4 Ensete seeds in to soak - 3 sank!!!! The packet didn't say to soak but after reading this thread I thought I'd give it a bash!
    I'm not sure if they'll grow or not as I only have the bathroom windowledge free for them, but who dares wins!!! :D

4. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,127
    :( Well I thought I had lost both of my seedlings... They were fine before Xmas, then all of a sudden they went brown & horrid. One is definitely dead. [​IMG] The other was showing some green so I re-potted it & it is now coming along a treat.... ;) Will take a pic when I go up to the green house later.... [​IMG] I have been told that if you can get them through their first winter you will be OK... Do you agree BM?? [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Good Luck with yours Windy, that sounds promising if 2 have sunk..... [​IMG]

5. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +410
    Agree MF, like cannas and other water rich seedlings it is difficult to keep them awake and drinking as opposed to snoozy and retracting. The consequences of the latter being more fatal in a seedling than a year old plant. Unless you have the facilities for regular spraying heating air flow etc, house cultivation is quite a challenge. Its bad enough keeping the mature ones encouraged during the winter months. [​IMG]

6. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    WM - you are not crashing my thread, I am very keen to compare notes, hopefully this way I will be able to get mine going! Please do keep us updated.

Some of my seeds floated and some sank, I don't think it made any difference as I had germination from both lots, so I would not worry.

7. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When I gave the floater a gentle prod it sank,perhaps he's undecided whether to grow or not!! :D :D
    If I can get just one to shoot I'll be really,really happy....but if I could get it through it's first winter remains to be seen :rolleyes:
    I'm thinking of turning the Summer house into an overwintering area next Winter, as the Musa's getting yet another leaf!! (It's getting like the Krypton Factor at the top of the stairs where he lives :D :D ) I'll have to do it subtly and with great stealth as it's youngest Spawns playhouse [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    my Brugmansia seeds did a bit of shifting with prodding and both sinkers and swimmers grew too.

9. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Goody!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm going to plant them today....come on little babies grow... [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] Well BM, here is my one surviving plant. Still looking a bit dodgey but it is growing...!!! I re-potted into a mix of No2. fine wood chip & grit, it had a really good root system. Grandson put the pebbles on top ;) I have my fingers crossed for it, but my Strelitzia is going great guns since I re-potted it in that mix too... :D Does that sound OK to you & what do you think of my little surviver..? :D

[​IMG]

11. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +410
    Your mix sounds great MF, he looks really good to me, but you MUST keep him growing, so keep doing what you are doing its working! Biggest problem I have had for bringing ensetes out of dormancy without leaves is 'the strangles'. Plants dry shut, not being able/ strong enough to open or to cope with their water intake or expiry, they rot from the centre and never open.

I am well impressed,I hope he continues to prosper. I like your polished pebbles. :D

12. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] Beleive me BM I am trying to keep him going... I think the other one probably did die from the "strangles" as you put it. I actually peeled the leaves back on this one to reaveal the bud :rolleyes: right or wrong after the other withered away.....! Otherwise I think it would have rotted too. I am pretty sure now, that the other was as you say due to that... Well I have been up & told it how wonderful it is today, but I will go & remind it again & from you as well........ Will do an up-date in a few weeks ;) :D :D

13. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +410
    :D Yes I peel them around this time of year to get things moving. I have musa to do this weekend that is looking a bit sleepy. When the huge garden ones are let loose again I peel those back too to reveal the lush green again. [​IMG]

14. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] Oh, well that's OK then BM... If you do that as well...!!! ;) :D :D

15. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Just got my camera out to take a picture of my babies now I have been shamed by your pics MF and got my batteries stuck in the camera some how! Just had a bad end to the day.

Pictures and info. very interesting, tow of my younger seedlings are going a very pale yellow, so I am putting them back in the cold incubator at night. Non of the musa showing yet.