Bananamans Hideout

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Banana Man, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    My second red tree is a Acer Platanoides Crimson King. It is a potentially large tree but very easily pollarded. Roots are also a consideration with this one if you let it get massive. 6/6

(pic8) Crimson King

[​IMG]

(pic9) Crimson King

[​IMG]

Third are my catalpas and paulownias both fantastic foliage trees easily maintained, and im told deep rooted. If they get too big simply hack them back in spring and off they go again. 5/7 at worst 4/8.

Catalpa (pic10)

[​IMG]

Catalpa (pic11)

[​IMG]

Paulownia (pic12)

[​IMG]

2. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Fourth would be my Acer platanoides ââ?¬Ë?Drummondââ?¬â?¢ , a beautiful cream edged mid green leaved tree. Another medium to large tree but would not be a problem if managed, as all trees should be. 6/6

(pic13) Drumondii

[​IMG]

Next Sorbus aria. 'Lutescens' ... White beam another great tree, can keep small to medium shape and it is a dense foliage tree good for summer screening but is a 6/6.

(Pic14) Whitebeam

[​IMG]

(pic15) Whitebeam

[​IMG]

Acer pseudoplatanus Brilliantisimum' beautiful tree if grown well, Small compact and relatively slow growing. 7/5.

(pic16) Brilliantisimum

[​IMG]

(pic17) Brilliantisimum

[​IMG]

3. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know how you feel i used to have a shared strip down the centre of the two houses no fence ..but you could see where your half was..so i planted out last year and the twit next door for the first time he has ever weeded in 7 years came along with a rotavator and took most of my things up as well as his weeds...so i was past angry and put a fence up..the best of it was when he had weeded my plants he didnt plant a thing..i dont think his back bends!!well my passion flower keeps trailing over his side now so last week i asked them if they wanted me to tie it back my side..as i had visions of them pulling it!!!but they said it was okay ... :eek: we used to have an old man the other side who used to cut at my elderberry tree and its bad luck to do that and he seemed to have loads of bad luck when he did it..We have cut that back now away from the neighbours ..as every time it got hacked i would be mortified..walking around with a white miserable face!!

4. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Common Fig (Ficus carica) grown as a proper tree is lovely forget about the fruits just concentrate on the massive foliage. 6/6

(pic18) Common Fig

[​IMG]

Acacia dealbata, evergreen beautiful flower and a really tropical looking tree. I have it very near the house just to keep it ahead of the frosts.

(Pic19) Accacia

[​IMG]

Albizia julibrissin rosea good patio tree for planting through the patio into ground. Does well in pots till it runs out of steam. Good specimens can be achieved if looked after and can achieve good sizes over time.5/7 perhaps more depending on location.

(pic20) Silk Tree

[​IMG]

Malus tschonoskii, I bought this as a fortifying tree for the front garden, dense foliage and conical habit can be planted close to the neighbours because it grows back on itself. Nice fruits, small flowers, good all round tree with burnt appearance in autumn. 6/6

(Pic21) Malus tschonoskii

[​IMG]

Rhus typhina, now some people get fussy about this because it suckers, but again if you now its bad habits you can keep it in line. I love it and wouldn�t be without it for tropical feel. Some have a nasty sap that I am careful of but I have never had any accidents.6/6

(pic22) Rhus typhina

[​IMG]

Magnolia 'Susan' is a deciduous shrub, resulting from a cross between M. liliiflora 'Nigra' and M. stellata 'Rosea'. Love this plant great green leaves and fantastic blooms, again good foliage colour to contrast with the more common greens.

(pic23) Susan

[​IMG]

(pic24) Susan

[​IMG]

(pic25) Susan

[​IMG]

I hope this helps HoneyBee, the pictures were a bit rushed taken in the heat today, but I didn�t have any recent specimen pictures that showed good likeness. I dare say people have other favourites but these have been best performers for me in the type of tropical look I wanted to achieve. I also go for specimens that produce good form because they create a balanced solid structure as the additional tropical plants can at times be less regimented for which the well structure trees balance out.

5. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  6. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Wildflower nothing worse than living next to an old man, nothing better to do all day but tug at your climbers which are weaving in and out your trelis fence ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! trouble is they pull all of your side off in the process.

7. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,168
    Hi, BM, what is the red-leafed tree / shrub in the background of several of the photos? It doesn't look like your Acers, which are lovely. I particularly like the drumondii.

We went to the new DIY today and I got a nice clay pot for the Penta I bought the other day then stopped at the garden center and got a Bouganvillea for the kitchen patio ... this one has two roots in it, one yellow and one orange. I already have burgundy, purple, lavender, pale pink with a hint of green and peach ones. Also bought a Cuphea llavea "Tiny Mice" for fun!

There's not as lush as your beautiful trees but they are colourful!

8. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    I'v got one of those "grumpy old men" next door - except he's about 40!!! All my plants & the tree grow vertical on his side and natually on our side - to the point that he makes himself look ridiculous and petty!!!! :rolleyes: He's a bit of an obsessive-compulsive about tidyness, which, unfortunately, is just tooooooooo much temptaion to me!!!! (like the fence panel which has been fixed with some green washing line for the last 18 months!!!! I could have sorted it out straight away, but it gives me too much perverse pleasure knowing it winds him up!!!!! (me getting him back for hammering and banging until 2am one morninig........ ) :D :D :D ;)

9. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks BM - we had an Accacia on the list already, but it gives me more things to consider too... does your Cherry produce edible fruit?

10. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I have never tried it, have a google see if they are edible ? I know the wild cherries at the bottom of the garden can be cooked with.

11. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Hi LoL, I think you must mean the Prunus cerasifera 'Pissardii'in the back garden. Best tree ever. Foliage and blossom stretches 9 months of interest and others plants look fab up against it.

BM

12. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    BM You ought to be a garden landscaper and designer,as you certainly got a good eye for planting and design

We will then see you at Chelsea and you will make a fortune,just like Titchmarsh.

Good Luck
    Kandy

13. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    did i spot a angelica in your garden? i hope you are not spreading the seeds around the neighbourhood!!i was tidy and cut the heads off mine.. :(

14. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    No they are falling onto the bed, why are they a problem ? I hadn't grown them before last year.

BM

15. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes they can be a massive problem they will go in the soil and self seed everywhere i must have removed a 100 of them early spring in one patch under the kitchen window..you are better removing the seed and either start it off in compost now to plant out WHERE YOU WANT IT in late september..or scatter some where you want them as they will germinate everywhere havnt you noticed the seeds blowing in the wind [​IMG] you will probably get one grow where your plant is now as they seed where they die..your neighbours will be pleased when they have giant size angelica heads waving around at them ..some old fuddy duddys kept pointing at the ones i had in the front garden they must have thought it was giant hog weed..its funny really if you have a sense of humour!!..just be carefull as you dont want to spend hours weeding them from your garden as that is what will happen..extremely invasive...they need to be kept under control..