Bananas

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by PeterS, Nov 20, 2013.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    LongK - my apologies. I have only just realised this was a link - I thought it was just a comment! Yes, its an excellent source of info.

Yes its too early really Kristen. I have depotted one a couple of times, just to make sure it was firm and not rotting. I have them on an uncovered heated propagator, and the temperature low down in the compost reaches 28C late in the day, but climbs slowly as its only a 22 watt heat source and its on a time switch. Because its uncovered and so warm the compost dries out and I have to keep giving it a tiny bit of water - so I am worried whether its too much or too little.

The corm/rhizome looked very firm and healthy and there seemed to be a hint of two little bits that weren't there earlier. But its really too early. I made a major mistake in cutting the old roots off - but I am sure they will survive.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Not in the same league, but the scales I have broken off Lily bulbs (and put in a zip-bag with vermiculite) and Snowdrop bulbs that I have twin-scaled cutting the bulb up into lots of Orange-segments, always amaze me as the little bulbils form :)

FingersCrossed :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      At what temperature Kristen? I think propagation is the best part of gardening. Really much more satisfying than just going out and buying full sized plants.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        The Lilies and Snowdrops?? If so I just put them on the shelf in my office and forgot about them for a couple of months - snowdrops were done in Spring I think (there's a thread here ... I'll find it, that will give an indication of date), the Snowdrops were done in June.

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
        • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +23,756
          Never, ever, post a video of yorkshire kris again. I went to sleep twice!

I have a similar plant that I honestly can't remember if it's a banana or canna. Will go check...

• Funny Funny x 3
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +23,756
            OK, it's a canna. Bit disappointed now lol Will have to see about picking one of these up next season

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,015
            I was mistaken when I said the above. Another look showed that those bits in the middle of the rhizome were dead/dormant fibres.

2013_12150005.JPG
            But I have just had a look again at my Ensete. And, in a different area where the rhizome and the stem join I can see a slight swelling that is new. You can just see this at the top which looks slightly crazed - sort of stretch marks :snork:. I remember from the videos that the new growth came from the top of the rhizome rather than from the bottom. A couple of the pieces show this and a couple of pieces show nothing - but they all seem to be firm and healthy.

• Like Like x 3
            • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +4,015
              Update - day 53
              2014_01120003.JPG
              I have just taken my four quarters out of their pots, and things are looking good. Two have roots - each has a long one of about 3 inches with small side shoots. The one shown above has both roots and some topgrowth, and the last one has a little topgrowth but no roots yet.

So, in all, the propagation method has been a success so far. In the videos each piece had several seperate stems of growth. So far the top growth only seems to be a single stem - but there is plenty of time yet. All the pieces have been in a lightbox with a maximim soil temperature of about 26C - but the heat and light are on a time clock and takes time to warm up each day.

• Like Like x 10
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +91,679
                I've got a few Ensete glaucum On the go, germinating has been poor but I've got five plants up to now.
                Jan 2014 002.jpg

the maurelii from last summer is still looking ok, but hoping it pulls through.

Jan 2014 019.jpg

• Like Like x 5
                • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +4,015
                  I have never tried frowing from seed. I suspect that you need very fresh seed - but how do you know if its fresh?

Your 'Maurelii' looks very good Pete. let us know how it recovers. I had a disaster earlier this year - I tried to get extra heat by putting my 'Maureliis' in a hot box and covering with a lid. I got plenty of heat, but it was far too humid and they rotted. I am amazed how my segments have dried up in my lightbox, this time not in an enclosed space - but are still healthy

• mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
                  Ratings:
                  +6,626
                  Most of my bananas are starting to move now on the windowsill basjoo, maurelii, ventricosum.
                  The musa basjoo from the palm centre not started to move yet.
                  My musa Siam ruby seem to be struggling though, it never seems to keep more than 2/3 leaves on the stem, they keeps on drying up and dieing.
                  Took it out of its pot tonight as I thought I might have of over watered it but it's barely moist.
                  Still trying to push up a new roller though just very slowly

• Like Like x 2
                  • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +4,015
                    Ensete Maurelii propagation update - day 82

2014_02100011.JPG
                    My Maurelii segments are doing well now. Only one of the quarters has any top growth - about 8 inches. However, I think this is coming from the old growing point - ie it thinks its the original plant. But below there is a bulge and several new growing points can be seen - though its not clear in the picture.

2014_02100010.JPG
                    This is another of the quarters. It's grown all the roots, and you can also see clearly the bulge with a large number of new growing points.

All in all I am very pleased. The watering is a bit tricky. The quarter above is not dormant when it would require almost no water, but it also has no visible topgrowth yet, so its not really using any water either. As the pots are on a heating mat they can get dry, so I am using a moisture meter to tell me what's going on.

• Like Like x 5
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +91,679
                      I think you have cracked it Peter, looks like a cluster of new plants in pic 2, they just need to be convinced they need their own roots.

My Maurellii, is not looking quite so good now, the top is starting to look rotten, the base is still firm though.
                      I'm thinking this wet weather is not helping.

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +4,015
                      I am sorry to hear that Pete - I assume its outside under cover - but the damp does get everywhere. I think mine has been helped a lot by being in a heated light-box.

Yes thats the next stage. In the second picture all that root is new, but it isn't connected to any of the growing points. I assume it will work out OK, but I am not sure how yet.