Bare-root Wallflowers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Garden Apprentice

Garden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I can remember as a child my mum buying and planting bareroot wallflowers in the garden, so the practice goes back some way. Then the plants went a bit out of fashion and you couldnt get the plants. Consequently when we moved to my current garden, at first I didnt consider them as spring bedding plants.

Then the plants started reappearing, and last autumn i found has a new flowerbed I needed to fill up for the winter and spring. I decided to give wallflowers a try, and boy was I glad I did. OK they looked a bit sad to start with, but they soon picked up and looked good even with just foliage through the mild winter. Come spring they flowered nicely, provideing colour for quite some time. a few were even still in flower in June!

Consequently I have gone for them again this gear as a gap filler between established plants, and may even pop a few leftovers into pots for mobile colour.

One tip, if you buy them and cant plant out for a while, dont just leave them in a bucket of water. Instead, pot them up together in a large pot. Then when you have the time to plant them out they will have stared to form new roots and will establish in the borders quicker.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015