Batten down the hatches oop North

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by biker, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    the wind has done a bit of damage to my plants to-day.
    It started of windy and is still quite windy and buffety, went out for a quick bike ride with He-who-thinks-he-is-being-obeyed and it was qutie windy on the bike too.

got home to find next door neighbours tree (thankfully, not a huge big tree) half in our garden.

the delphiniums all battered and bashed. they have now been staked up but have taken a good battering. the foxgloves are in a sheltered position so hopefully will survive. a couple of our smaller trees needed re-staking.
    My plan was to do a bit of work in the garden, instead of which, I'm on the 'puter checking various fora that I belong to and defragging hundreds of workstaions.

2. biker

biker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear the tales of garden woe.
    Bit breezy in London though nothing special but it seems to be working upto something late afternoon :(

3. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My tall, beautiful rose is flattened. Sniff.

4. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    :( :( Well I can't remember it being so windy in my garden - I have three very battered roses - fear I may have lost one . I have lost three beautiful lupin plants - there is barely a leaf left on them - two new blue Salvia plants I planted last weekend, a couple of cosmos plants I grew from seed and about a 1000 apples! - What a shame - very sad to walk around my garden this morning!

EGW x

5. Rouxbee

Rouxbee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We had horrendous weather here at the weekend too, i've been out this morning, lost 3 broadbean plants and 2 cucumber plants, my hanging baskets have taken a right battering too but i think they'll pick up. Do you think we blinked and missed summer. :(

6. returnmack

returnmack Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My crambe cordifolia - in flower for the first time and so beautiful - has completely snapped off in the middle, and my sweet peas hawe ripped off the net they were scrambing up. Their poor little tendrils have riipped clean off. I feel so sorry for the little mites!
    Didn't drop a single apple though - or either of the two damsons on our 3 yr old tree!
    Alis

7. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We've lost lots of little apples but I rescued the hanging baskets and put them back in the greenhouse :(

8. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Bit rough here all w/end too but no damage thankfully ,just very wet underfoot .:)

9. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lost over 300 apples - counted them yesterday as had to pick them all up before the dog ate them - and that's off one tree :(

10. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Nary a puff over on the East Coast. Bit of a brisk breeze was all.

11. Horsham Del

Horsham Del Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got back from Norfolk, and the weather was wonderful. I even got a tan!!!

12. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  13. Sar

Sar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's actually really quite sunny here in Manc Land today - if you just ignore the odd passing black cloud! Not quite a day for hard landscaping, but I might be able to pop out to do some potting up :)

I do feel sorry for the NGS open gardens though as the ground is really quite soggy :(

14. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi sar, I have been working in Manc land all afternoon and it has been lovely after about 3pm

15. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sunny up there? That can't be right! ;)