BBC may have to sack Clarkson

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by HYDROGEN86, Dec 1, 2011.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,444

Thanks for that. On the day, I heard the quote about him being pleased because there was less traffic about but they hadn't linked it to the other comment. It's obviously one of his usual 'jokes' and was not meant to offend any more than he usually does.

On the news just now they were saying that the union are talking about taking legal action against him. What a load of rubbish! They were referring to the law on incitement (the title of which has been changed) but it states quite clearly that you not only have to say these things but also that you intend for people to follow the suggestion.

Another waste of union funds on legal costs! :DOH:

• Like Like x 1
    • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,730
      What a pair of - um - what can one say without triggering the profanity filter and its infernal treetreetree? Well, you get the picture.

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      I have a bigger problem with people that take Clarkson seriously than I do with Clarkson himself.

I am sure that some animal rights people will want to have a go as well. In the same program he said that animals should be magnificent to look at or delicious to eat. If neither they don't matter. Its called a sense of humour - but I suspect that many would like to ban that too.

• Like Like x 4
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,091
        Shiney - don't start me off on the legal profession! The solicitor of my brothers ex-wife told him that she did not have to deal with him and that he should get a solicitor. Every letter that we wrote to her (the solicitor) was checked over by his divorce solicitor (for free bless her). This solicitor just wants to start up another round of tit for tat letters at £200 a go!:mad:

Having actually heard Clarksons comments on the radio now I'm deeply saddened - it seems that everyone is responding to what has been quoted rather than the facts. At the best it demonstrates stupidity, at the worst manipulation to seek an advantage.:scratch:

That's pretty much my thoughts too Clara.............

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Clarkson is clearly the missing link between neandertal and modern human. He is an idiot, but he is an entertaining idiot.

I'm pretty sure his comments about shooting strikers were not meant literally.

To be honest, I'd be very surprised if the strikers (and their union) take offence at what he said. The whole point of going on strike is to make a very public statement about strong feelings. When ever strong feelings are shown, in any situation, there will always be those that don't agree. That's the whole point. So when someone else makes a very public emotive statement in response, shouldn't it just be expected?

If I was to walk into the middle of my street and start shouting as loudly as I can that, say for example, I believe I should get a free pension, should I be surprised if someone shouts back at me?

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,341
        I was watching the show, and it was off the cuff remarks, they eyes and smile showed he was playing it Typical Clarkson

As for the train suiside comments, I do not think he has travelled by train for many years, too many top of the range Mercedes to take home and test etc so I do not think he has ever been delayed

No publicity is bad publicity and as stated earlier he has a book and DVD out for CRIMBO to punt

What a world we live in now, people are only offended if they think there will be big bucks compensation really
        Personally I can not stand the man or the show he presents, I would prefer to sit and watch my Daffs grow or the creosote drying on me shed

Jack McH

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,887
        Everyone knows that Jeremy Clarkson has his own freedom of speech. I support that! If media interviewers and show hosts have got a problem with him being outspoken (and they know he is) why on earth do they invite him to speak in the first place! :)

Jack...........Those top range cars he has, are driven here on the island where he lives. TopGear often films here too. The island has no speed limit with regarding the no speed limit signs. Meaning the UK is restricted to seventy mph whilst the islands drivers can do any speed they like out of restricted areas. :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,517
          Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of free speech.

I have to say though that the MILLIONAIRE Clarkson has shown himself to be a 'treetree'. Is he really in a position to critisise those working in the public sector when he himself draws a nice salary from the British Broadcasting CORPORATION, something that MOST of us have to pay for? I doubt he has ANY concept of what SOME of the workers in the public sector go through on a day to day basis. "Gilt edged" ? "Work for a living"? Kinda rich eh?

• Like Like x 3
          • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,341
            Yeah yeah but that is what he is all about
            Smart quips about the lesser folk

It entertains people, when he slags off caravaners, most driver do
            Then he slags off the lesser folk who drive anything below a LAND ROVER DISCOVERY OR MERC
            $EITY Help you if all you can run is Trabant or Robin Reliant

As for me I am dead meat I drive a SKODA FABIA VRS

It will never happen, but I would love to see him working 40hrs a week and taking home £180 and the car he could afford to drive

It is just his "style" and what the public who love him want to hear

We could do the same if we had a name and an audience

He is just like any other entertainer wether it be cars, gameshows, or Gardening

Anyone could be Alan Titchmarsh but he got the break

They are all poor (VERY RICH) showmen flogging their wares

Jack McH

• Like Like x 2
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,248
              Clarkson is a breath of fresh air , in this stuffy over PC world of ours. Believe it or not it was a bit of a joke.........this link may help some of you :D
              Joke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 2
              • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
                Ratings:
                +12,517
                Harry.

Of course it was a jolk, most of us understand that. However, it seems to me that there are SOME that are so ignorant that think his comments are worth merit. I think that all this serves is to stir up anti public worker sentiment. Maybe his comments would be better directed against those that got us in this mess in the first place?

• shiney

Ratings:
                +122,444
                Clarkson is only rich and able to say these things because the general public (but not any of us, of course :heehee:) like to watch him do and say what he does.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +16,248
                To true Freddy and Shiney , and as Jimmy Hendrix said ...... he will cry all the way to the bank ! I know he is a bit of a lower rear orifice , but his Lord Snooty (Beano 1958) manner makes me laugh :heehee::heehee::heehee:

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +23,091
                Five thousand seem to have taken enough offence to complain! I would hope that those who have complained did so as a result of the media's reporting of what was said, and not as a result of seeing or hearing it. If they have complained having seen/heard it, they are clearly at the neandertal end in terms of intelligence!

• shiney

Ratings:
                +122,444
                lk, I think that it should go away now but the media will probably try to keep stirring it - unless a juicy murder occurs to attract their goldfish attention span.

• Like Like x 2