Bedding Plants to be in Flower in June

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, Feb 7, 2011.

1. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not only will your display look better than shop bought plants, but you'll also have the satisfaction of knowing you grew them all yourself! I dont think you can possibly lose!

- Luke -

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    Kristen
    I saw this and thought of you :thumbsup:
    http://www.funkyflora.com/products/royal-wedding-april-29th-2011/509808-pansy---panola-royal-wedding-mix.html

Pansies would be in full flower in June ,and apparently they are now classed as an all year plant . I did not know that , hope the pansies do.
    I have grown trailing friolina for about 3 years now and they flower from May until the frosts. I have never grown pansies from seed , so dont know how long it takes from seed to flower.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    So ... she's getting married in Scarlet is she? :D

An 88-plug-pack for £9.90 is pretty attractive. 11.25p each. Mind you ... their Lobelia plugs are only 7p each. However, delivery is a month away - I reckon I could grow "plug sized plants" in about that time from seed.

Hmmm ... I had a look at Moles Seeds - Lobelia: "Sowing to flowering around 16 weeks. 25,000 seeds per gram." and 1g is £2.10 ... I should have enough!

Here are my final selection, in case anyone has any suggestions? My only real concern is the lack of a strong red colour

Lobelia Palace Blue "The exceptionally uniform Palace series is extremely early into flower, up to several weeks earlier than other standard varieties. 10cm. True blue, compact and early. "
    [​IMG]

Lobelia Palace White. "Bedding variety. The exceptionally uniform Palace series is extremely early into flower, up to several weeks earlier than other standard varieties. 10cm. An improved White Lady, compact and early."
    [​IMG]

Lobelia Riviera Rose. "Bedding variety. An early flowering series, approximately 15 days earlier than standard varieties, with a vigorous but compact habit. 10cm. An early free flowering rose with a distinct white eye."
    [​IMG]

Moles range of Lobelias is here: http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/flower_and_vegetable_seed_store_uk/Products_Lobelia_1239.html