1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bee Happy's Plants for Pollinator's- Page for friendly advice,suggestions & links

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by BeeHappy, Sep 14, 2017.

1. BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    october_gardening_tip_2016.jpg october_0.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +6,133
      3e872c59421dac395b40c3c709fae2a3.jpg

1-bee-with-knife-and-fork.jpg

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
      • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        All very good advice above BeeHappy :). The restaurant menu sounds wonderful :snorky:

I want to get more Ivy in my garden. I did have some growing around an old stump in front garden, which had berries forming on it. Hurricane Ophelia ripped it to shreds :cry3:.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +6,133
          :grphg:@luciusmaximus
          Ivy is a tough plant don't be surprised if its back with extra vigor next Spring - Plants are in, the main survivors Lucius unless they like any life form are sickly or unwell - but even then they can bounce back incredibly well :blue thumb: The only tip I would give anyone is, plant Ivy where it can romp away without causing you any grief in the future - im fortunate to be able to grow it up a banking that has a wall in front of it so its contained for want of a better word -also i have Honeysuckle and the for some the dreaded Bramble there too- but because it;s limited where it can go it's not an undue problem- mind you, it still needs the occasional clipping back to keep it in check :heehee: But the Wildlife love it and because it's behind me it's not in your face say we say- Im fully aware that for some my idea of gardening is somewhat messy and doesn't please aesthetically :phew: that took some spelling :heehee:
          But i find the fulfillment in knowing that i am not encroaching on their home, no more than they encroach on mine by allowing Nature to work at its best to provide - and thankfully for all concerned im not alone in my gardening principles :imphrt:
          Wildlife gardening IS more challenging in as such that you do have to plant WISELY - consider how that plant will in some cases be rather dominant. And as with ALL gardens, they need ongoing tweaking. It's a falsehood to think that once the plants are in then that pretty much work done :spinning:....And we can just potter around deadheading here and there :nonofinger:I foolishly have learned that the hard way - I really thought thats what would happen :heehee: NOW the maintenance is needed and the digging up and dividing - But thats what makes it sooooo great - the sharing the gifting to charities or fundraising events and friends fellow gardeners and knowing your plants, the plants offspring that you nurtured will be enjoyed in so many other gardens. So as i said previously DONT lose heart - deep breath take stock - write down on a sheet of paper HOW you see your garden looking -you know what appeals to you so find photos on the interweb print them off and place them as a collage on your table move them about so you can see how they would look in your garden .Thats what i did :)....Then JUST focus on ONE area - address that area - amend that area as required if needed and buy ONLY the plants for that area -Thats how i got back some sense of direction in my garden.I was going round in circles :rolleyespink: So my garden rooms were created as a result of focusing on ONE area -Just like our good @ARMANDII advised you in another thread with his sound words of comfort and information.:thumbsup:
          The joy you have gotten from that little Aster Audrey is because shes complete - so you feel closure with her ....do you see where im coming from :blue thumb: So DONT keep beating yourself up - we all get like this in our gardens sweetheart - Winter is a time for reflection, taking stock and making plans for the Spring - and thank GAWD we have these months to jiggle ourselves into shape and lets be fair rest our weary bones :phew:
          697b405affd1a54f34f5cbfcbedbd896.jpg
          Its an exciting time too, ALL that promise to look forward to :hapydancsmil: download (3).jpg

Anyway's I've prattled on enuf ...:thud: even im fed up of listening to me-self :heehee:

So to finish up this loooooong drawn post :panic:
          here's 113111_th.gif for you

• Like Like x 1
          • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +6,133
            Hope this attached PDF file is of some use to those member's who let's face it as many do in the real world garden in a moderate space :gardening:
            Lots of :idea: to get the most out of your space......with Wildlife

planting at its core -Happy gardening to one and all :tomato:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
              Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
            • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +6,133
              BEEMASK.jpg

4e529b6966df2300af0d5b21bc9ac7c0.jpg

• Like Like x 1
              • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +6,133
              • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                Ratings:
                +6,899
                Thanks for taking the time to write all that BeeHappy :spinning:. I was going to write an equally long reply but it would probably sound negative and I don't think of myself as being negative. The advice offered by yourself and ARMANDII is good, sound, advice. I shall try to follow it. Although, with all the rubbish stuff that's going on at the moment I have to be honest and say that I'm beginning to view the garden as yet another uphill battle to fight. I'm going to aim for finishing the new border in the back garden as it's a relatively small job to complete, but leave the planting to next year. Maybe 2018 will bring new energies and inspiration.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +6,133
                  Agree and it will -:blue thumb: And you're not negative just deflated... You take care and enjoy your new border project :imphrt:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +6,133
                    Whilst clearing throughout the Autumn please check for the Pupa/Chrysalis of the
                    Humming Hawk Moth and place back safely in some deep leaf debris to over winter

-the-stage-hawk-moth.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                    • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                      Ratings:
                      +6,899
                      BeeHappy, I think I found one of the chrysalis in a bag of gravel couple of weeks back. I accidentally dug it up. I didn't know what it was but it looks just like the picture above. Have put it into another bag of gravel that won't be touched.

• Like Like x 1
                      • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +6,133
                        @luciusmaximus excellent - now won't that be fab if you get to see one of these incredible visitors in your garden feeding off your Buddleia's next year-this is a couple of photos of my visiting HBHM on my Budds this year :hapydancsmil:happy days ahead :thumbsup:

Hummingbird hawk moth Peacock and Red Admiral Butterflies on Buddleia _Pink Delight _1.jpg

Hummingbird hawk moth_1a.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                          Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
                        • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                          Ratings:
                          +6,899
                          I'm not completely sure as I imagine other Moth chrysalis look similar?? But, I did remember also, that a few months ago there was a day flying Moth on the Scabious. I couldn't get a close up shot on my Kindle but it had orange/brown coloured wings so it may have been a Hummingbird Moth.

• Like Like x 1
                          • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +6,133
                            :awesome:@luciusmaximus there are a number of Hawk moth species all are fab so it will be very interesting to see which of the species is in your garden next year :yes:

• BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +6,133
                            Wildflowers and plants for a wet or damp part of the garden
                            by Barley Wilson / 04 Aug 2017
                            Wildflowers and plants for a wet or damp part of the garden | The Wildflower Garden

[​IMG]

Barley Wilson. Wildflower planting around the pond includes purple loosestrife, top left

If you are lucky enough to have an area of your garden with damp conditions, here are my favourite native wetland plants that will add lots of colour and structure, while attracting a host of wildlife too.

[​IMG]
                            Marsh marigold is an early spring arrival: deadhead to prolong the flowering season
                            [​IMG]
                            Purple loosestrife, a must-have for the wildflower garden
                            [​IMG]
                            What's not to love about viburnum aka the guelder rose? Masses of white flowers in spring are followed by red berries

1. Purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria)
                            Purple loosestrife is a simply stunning perennial, with spires of intense magenta flowers that attract insects throughout the summer. In damp soil it will grow up to 1.5m high, but it is very adaptable and able to thrive in sunny garden borders too, in all but the driest soils.

There are several garden cultivars of purple loosestrife, some with paler pink flowers and more compact growth. These seem to attract insects for nectar too, but might not provide the same value as a food plant for several moth species as our native purple loosestrife. No garden should be without it.

2. Angelica (Angelica sylvestris)
                            Angelica is a statuesque umbellifer, growing up to 2m high in sun, or in all but the deepest shade. From July to November its pink and white flowers offer plenty of nectar to hoverflies and other insects.

This plant is the source of crystallised angelica, once commonly used for cake decoration, but if you leave the architectural silhouette of the hollow stems through the winter, you are also preserving lots of safe hibernating spaces for insects too.

3. Devil’s bit scabious (Succisa pratensis)
                            With vibrant blue flowers from June to September, Devil’s bit scabious is the only scabious that thrives in damp conditions. However, like all scabious, its rich supply of nectar is irresistible to butterflies and moths.

A slender and delicate beauty, Devil’s bit scabious is worth centre stage, near a path or pond edge where you can enjoy it close to. And why the strange name? Apparently this is because the thick root ends abruptly, so it was thought that the devil had bitten this off beneath the soil.

4. Lady’s smock (Cardamine pratensis)
                            Also known as cuckoo flower and milkmaids because it flowers in spring, this is another delicate beauty whose pale pink flowers give a tapestry-effect through wet meadows.

Plant it in sun or light shade and enjoy attracting orange tip and green veined white butterflies into your garden – it is an important food plant for both larvae and adults. Allow lady’s smock to seed naturally and you will soon have small drifts of colour all through the spring.

5. Marsh marigold (Caltha palustris)
                            Marsh marigold is an early spring arrival and a real dazzler, with large, glossy, golden yellow flowers like giant buttercups, cheering up even those chilly days from early April onwards.

It can cope with sun or moderate shade, and damp soil to shallow water too.

Dead-heading will extend the flowering season into the summer, when the plants can be easily divided; otherwise try propagating from the large seeds.

The double form, called ‘Plena’ or ‘Flore Pleno’ is often sold in garden centres – but like most double flowers, this will not offer the same nectar supply for insects.

6. Ragged robin (Lychnis flos-cuculi)
                            With open, ragged-looking pink petals and branching red stems, ragged robin always seems to be a favourite. There is a naturally occurring white-flowered form too.

Ragged robin is a very versatile plant, successful in many situations except the driest soils, and drifts of plants in among a damp border or on a pond edge will give months of pleasure for you and nectar for a range of insect visitors. Easily propagated from saved seeds.

7. Marsh woundwort (Stachys palustris)
                            Marsh woundwort is easily one of my favourite. This robust plant will form clumps of elegant pinkish purple spires up to 1m high, flowering from June until the first frosts. This is a very useful late nectar plant for bees and a larval food plant too.

It naturally loves ditches, swamps and fens, but is a stunning garden plant, as long as the position you give it isn’t too dry.

8. Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria)
                            Growing in clumps, with frothy, creamy-white flowers, this makes a wonderful sight in damp soils.

Meadowsweet has a wonderful honey fragrance too, and was one of the medieval "strewing herbs" used to disguise bad smells in houses.

It is a very good late nectar source for hoverflies and bees and is the food plant of some wonderfully-named moths, such as the powdered Quaker and the Hebrew character.

Meadowsweet will suffer from mildew if the soil conditions are dry but, when growing happily in damper soils, you might occasionally need to manage its sideways growth unless you have plenty of space.

9. Guelder rose (Viburnum opulus)
                            Guelder rose is a stunning shrub to join the list. Guelder rose is our native viburnum that loves damper soils but really isn’t fussy about average garden conditions too.

Growing up to 4m, it provides masses of white flowers in late spring that attract hoverflies and other insects, followed by clusters of bright red berries that will attract hungry birds like bullfinches to feast through the winter.

Those with smaller gardens don’t need to miss out – there is a garden cultivar, Viburnum opulus ‘Compactum’, which grows to about 1m and still offers those stunning berries and autumn leaf colours.

As autumn gives way to winter these plants will all have finished flowering, but don’t rush to tidy them by trimming back. Not only do many of the dried stems look wonderful through winter, especially when edged by frost, but they also provide important shelter for wildlife during colder conditions. Wait until late winter before you trim back old growth in preparation for spring.

Barley Wilson is founder of wildlife landscaping specialists Natural Gardens

Get free wildflower gardening tips by email

• Like Like x 1