Before I go getting all unreasonable.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Mar 13, 2017.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,628
    If someone is blocking your driveway you need to contact the Council, who in many parts of the Country are now responsible for thrashing naughty parkers - or the old bill if the Council hasn't yet taken over the responsibility.

Parking on the pavement so that pedestrians are forced onto the road is also a no no. In my previous bungalow - the neighbours were all told to move their cars off the pavement as they were forcing someone with a pram to walk on the road.

It's only going to get worse - everyone seems to want to have their own car. We should adopt the Japanese model - no off road parking - no car.

You could park across your own driveway - should make it easier to get out and with the added bonus you could make the front garden bigger - a win win situation :biggrin:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Not just 2 cars per household, but these days plus one for every >17 year old, whether working or simply to drive to school in, plus work/works vehicles, plus a 'classic car' or 2, plus a vehicle that failed its MOT and was replaced but is till around some 6 months later, plus some motorcycles for use in summer when many of their other vehicles get shifted onto the street for them to get in and out and remain there until their return, or longer.

And apart from perhaps those motorcycles, there's nothing else in their double garage apart from a load of rubbish they never use, all the kids bikes since their first bike onwards and never used in many years, broken kitchen appliances, etc., and they just move it all from one house to another and fill their garage with it.

If you extend crossover widths, get white lines (not legally enforceable) painted across them, etc., and somebody actually pays any attention and moves, the person they've gone on to displace will probably park there instead. As the parking problems get worse, more people will turn the whole of their front gardens over to parking, eliminating more on street parking.

Then there's all the extensions and roof conversions that add additional accommodation with adding any extra parking, and if an additional off street space is provided it often removes on street parking for 2 (or more) vehicles. That's why many planning applications for extensions have the new bedrooms described as 'playroom', 'study', etc., and these are then descrided as bedrooms next time it's on the market. I've also seen (not to scale) planning applications clearly showing parking for say 2 vehicles, when if dimensions are checked on site would only accommodate 1 vehicle.

It's a giant game of 'whack a mole'.

• Like Like x 2
      Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +51,883
      Well, as I was putting my bins out this evening my neighbour saw me and immediately came over - to apologise! It turns out that the Focus is a relative (nephew or something I think) who came to stay with him for a few weeks and it broke down on him. This was further compounded by the way that another car in the street was parked, and it was hoped that it would all have been sorted a lot quicker than it was.

I explained to him that I didn't mind a bit of wriggling once in a while, and if one of the cars us up to the edge of my drive, I can work round it - but both together was the real problem as it made it so tight, especially at 4am on Sunday morning. He said that he would get the Focus moved as soon as he can, but I told him I am not overly worried by it - it would be nice if we could nudge it back a couple of feet, but other than that it wasn't a problem, and only became a problem when I had both cars right up to the edge of my drive. Bless him, he even offered to pay for the scrape to the wheel (not happening, worse things have happened at sea), and maintained that the Focus would be nudged back as soon as he can.

So, all sorted, and just goes to show the value of having good neighbours - - especially him spotting that there was a potential problem and having the courtesy to come and speak to me. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        It can't take much effort to move the focus a few feet surely? I've pushed larger dead cars along all by myself when it's just a few feet on fairly level ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,883
          It won't - the big van parked up its bum is the sticking point there. As soon as the van moves, they will push the Focus back a couple of feet. It doesn't really matter at the moment anyway, as the other visitor is gone and I have sufficient room to manoeuvre

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,076
            You forgot to mention artic tractor units.
            A neighbour had one around here for about 6 months and he took it for a ride around the block at weekends.

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
            Ratings:
            +32,985
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +23,862
            Superb. Altogether now - 'Everybody needs good neeeeighbours! ' :D

• Funny Funny x 1
            • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
              +19,596
              Yes but they need to have a little understanding. It helps to make the perfect blend.

• Funny Funny x 3
              • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                Ratings:
                +32,985
                Respect works both ways :dbgrtmb:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                The cynic in me would suggest the knock on effect of this would cause another vehicle to obstruct your driveway, and perhaps one from further afield

Not had those, but in a neighbouring road a household with a frontage of only the width of one vehicle have 5 cars, 2 vans and about 12 motorcycles used for motorcycle training, the bikes all go out in the 2 vans, but when they return get unloaded and parked in their street when neighbours go to work.

Their neighbours have (individually) applied for dropped kerb off road parking, but as it's a C Road their proposals have been rejected by the LPA because each, individually would cause a problem with their vehicles reversing out of a small gap between a string of other on street parked vehicles.

When their neighbours realise all they possibly need to do is submit a joint planning application for all their 3 properties to drop their kerbs, it might be a bit of a shock to their neighbour, especially as the splay at their end will restrict parking in front of their property. The neighbour the other side appears to be working towards extending their crossover width, which again could extend across their neighbours frontage.

I suspect the 'problem' is simply going to shift along the road or around the corner.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +51,883
                  Focus has been nudged back a bit, and will be gone altogether as soon as the young lad can afford to get the parts that it needs (spoke to him tonight, nice young lad, and starting a new job on Monday bless him); he offered to get the car dragged around the corner into another street out of the way, but I see no point in moving the problem somewhere else. The van that was there last night, wasn't there when the car was moved, but since returned and parked behind the Focus again with plenty or room to spare, so no displacement of anyone and everyone is happy.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Like Like x 1