Best Climber

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by elliegreenwellie, Feb 23, 2007.

1. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Tiarella,

Do you know what the variety is? I am little concered how passion flower will make it through the winter, Also the plants will be in full sun for a few hours of the day, will they like this?

Cheers EGW

2. nogreenfingersere

nogreenfingersere Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    anybody knows what plants will grow in clay,my garden is like a quagmire,3 inches deep in water takes weeks to dry up,does not drain at all

3. nogreenfingersere

nogreenfingersere Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    also the best climing plants please

4. Ken

Ken Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Basmati rice would seem suitable.

5. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Ellie,

My passion flowers were here when we moved in so, unfortunately, I don't know which ones they are - sorry. They do like full sun, though, and mine have made it through the winter just fine. I'll see if I can find out for you.

:D Ken!

6. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
  7. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Ellie

Me again. Have a look on google - I did and mine would appear to be P. Caerulea, the purply one!

8. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    I have put my passion flower outside again she is in acontainer now think 4yrs old but was needing prunded a good drink so did this outside an dhave left of course she has beenout to all ellements of weathe rand seems to have survived .

I grew here from seeds I bought at Keunhoff Gardens Holland.I would really like to plant here in a sheltered spot in the garden.

9. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Guy,

Now I just need to choose bewteen a clematis and a passion flower them.

I am a complete novice, which will be easiest?

Cheers Ellie

10. sawfish

sawfish Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think you can beat the looks of Honeysuckle and you also get the perfume. Who on earth would find such a gorgeous smell overpowering?

The best aroma of all flowers in my opinion.

[ 11. March 2007, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: sawfish ]

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Nogreen fingers - your question has got missed in all this, by the looks of it :eek: It's best to set up a new thread if possible so you don't get missed, although sometimes it means a bit of repetition!

You'd be best to try and sort the boggy problem first, then you don't have to limit yourself too much about what plants you can grow. If you dig in lots of compost, even bark, if it's really soggy, and some sharp sand, that will improve the drainage, and then you can grow most things.

The list of climbers we gave earlier in this thread should be ok, and quite a few plants like damp conditions, just not boggy - astilbes, for one.

12. sanuka

sanuka Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  13. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You could also try the solanum album - mine is certainly evergreen although sometimes the ends get nipped by a frost. Snip them back and all is well. Clematis Armandii is a fantastic evergreen climber with the most deliciously scented white flower. Mine is flowering as we speak.
    Another vote for Trachelospermum jasminoides - no problem with frost damage where I am and the soil it's in is definitely on the damp side!

there ya go, even more choices!
    [​IMG]

14. Brandy

Brandy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Clematis 'armandii' is a favourite of mine, good climber, evergreen, rather large leaves pretty med white flowers and the perfume is a real bonus in full flower at the moment - pic taken yesterday.

[​IMG]

15. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've skimmed over the responses, and i agree, a honeysuckle would be nice, but you could always go for the large leaved ivies, and throw in a couple of clematis that flower from may thru sept. 2 varieties early and late, would give you your summer flowers.