Best shoes for walking in.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Oct 27, 2013.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Yes my boots do have Vibram soles, I find them too rigid.

Thanks for this Scrungee, but again they are very similar to what I already have, so gonna try something different.

Val

2. Val..

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    OK, I know what you're thinking, "Oh, not her and her feet again" :heehee: just that I now know what is wrong and am wondering if anyone else has this. I have Morton's neuroma!!:huh:

Val

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
  4. Val..

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
  5. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Stiletto heels with Vibram soles?:scratch::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
      Ratings:
      +7,491
      It's all that jiving you did Val! :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        Hi Val,I too suffer with a Mortons Neuroma on the middle toe on my left foot and the Podiatrist who diagnosed with a test he did where he got me to look away and then touched each toe with some sort of instrument and said it was due to wearing Stiletto heels but I have never in all my life worn those type of shoes so he got that a bit wrong.:snork:He had some Orthotics made for my shoes/boots that have a padded bit where the ball ?of the foot is,but I found that the orthotics kept ruckering up in my walking boots so gave up using them:gaah:

I find I can walk for quiet a few hours with no problem at all to the toe,but all of a sudden the toe goes numb and gets quiet painful and starts burning so I have to quickly get my boot off and massage the affected toe before I can start walking again as it is the nerve in the toe that gets trapped.Massaging the toe helps for so long but then I have the problem reaccuring and if I ignore it then in the end I am hobbling along due to the pain:cry3:

My Podiatrist told me to cut down on my walking but that advice fell on my deaf ear:snork:He also said that if the problem got to bad then it would mean a visit to my Dr for a Cortisone injection into the nerve but I just stick to massaging the toe and carry on regardless:biggrin:

I do find that wearing boots with hard soles makes the problem worse,but cannot find the right boots with the type of sole that caters for the different terrains I walk on.Oh and I was told that Mortons Neuromas is a ladies complaint but I suppose with everything there might be some men with the same condition:snork:

Hope you manage to get some decent boots eventually:smile:

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +32,997
        Reading about Mortons Neuroma, sounds a bit like what i've got, but i didn't wear high heels but years ago i but a six inch nail through my foot so i'm going to put it down to that.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Val..

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,951
          @Kandy , thanks for that, I have the burning in 2 toes and with 3 dogs to walk it is a real nuisance!! Why is it always nice to know that you're not the only one!!!:redface:

Val

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
            Ratings:
            +6,543
            Val,I clicked on the link you put up and it says on there that one of the main causes is Bunions and I have a very large bunion on my left foot that really needs operating on but I don't fancy being unable to walk or drive for ages:gaah:

I have found that walking on a lot of hard surfaces like forestry tracks or cycle ways made from disused railways and round our local water makes the problem start up quicker,whereas if I can walk on turfed ground it is a bit easier.I can normally manage around 2 and a 1/2 hours before it starts.:eeew: I am determined though to keep walking for as long as my bones allow:snork:

I expect Val we are stuck with the problem for ther rest of our days unless we take the injection/operation route:frown:

PS,I even tried wearing thicker socks in my shoes and boots but that just cramped the foot and brought the problem on quicker when out walking.I have even tried bigger boots but I still have the problem...

• Val..

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,951
            @Kandy , I have some of the support pads and I have taped them to my feet with micropore tape, stops them moving around, I also have toe separators, and I have ordered extra wide fitting shoes!!!! How glamorous, I can hardly wait. Operation won't help you will just have what they call a 'stump neuroma' then caused by scar tissue. Apparently cryosurgery works, but isn't available on the NHS, I wouldn't fancy the pain afterwards anyway, so yes I am stuck with all this 'gel' on my foot, Oh well, a lot luckier than some!!! Good luck with yours!! :)

Val