1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best soil for carrots

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Notty1975, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Cliff1932

Cliff1932 Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    I have clay soil and have no problem with carrots or parsnips, I dib the soil with what ever depth and thickness I fancy fill with peaty compost and the usual 3 seeds, the clay is so hard that they do not deform and I get lovely strait plants almost every time,

• Agree Agree x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,372
      Although we no longer bother to grow carrots we always got good crops with no problem. We did nothing special, just shoved them in the ground and left them to do their own thing. :noidea:

• sandymac

sandymac Super Gardener

engineer
      Ratings:
      +914
      Years ago we used to grow carrots and parsnips for show in 45 gallon drums filled with compost, then with an steel bar 4 foot long we would make cone shaped holes in the compost, fill the holes with silver sand, sow three seeds in each thinning to the strongest seedling. the carrot/parsnip would then follow the silver sand giving a perfect shaped carrot/parsnip, gave up when it got too competitive using 10 feet long split pipes etc.
      Regards Sandy

• Like Like x 2
      • Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,499
        Are we talking about carrots to eat or carrots for the "cat walk"? A fine well draining soil will suffice for the former, sod the latter!!!!:snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Agree @Vince. I spent a considerable amount of my life being competitive on the sports field and now find it completely non stressful and fun to grow my own veg non competitively. If they look good well that's a bonus, but there is absolutely no disputing that my veg tastes vastly better than shop bought and as it is for home and friends consumption nobody cares if they are misshapen/have the odd hole due to some wretched burrowing bast..d:)

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1