1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST SUPPLIER OF COMPOST - 2017

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by ARMANDII, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,617
    Whilst I agree with you to a certain extent Redwing it is fact that peat bogs suffer worst from extraction for burning on fires. The percentage used for gardening is small in comparison and this at least gets recycled in the garden, after use for baskets and planters. I've not yet found a peat free compost that is reliable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I would too, Redwing, but there is not a good enough Peat free compost on the market in the UK. I would use it for the same reasons as you, but the thing is that most of the Peat added to compost comes from Ireland and that they burn up to 1.2 million tons per Power Station annually. They are under pressure to reduce burning Peat by 2020 by the Irish High Courts in a case brought against them by Irish Environmentalists. So what Peat is used for adding to gardening compost is, comparably, very little.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,297
        Try your local council, Our Council in Fife do not do it, as they are unable to generate enough heat to sell compost to the Public
        Adjacent Council Dundee, their compost is approved and comes in at 50p for 100Ltrs, you have to bag it yourself though :-)

• Like Like x 5
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
          +10,302
          Thanks all, I do have a area in the garden that needs clearing, I will have to see what I can get from that, didn't realise I needed that much,

I've been putting my grass cuttings and old plants there for the last two years, I will post a few pictures up of the soil when I get round to it and wait for further advice, many thanks.

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,527
            I agree that it's not good to use it but I have no choice. Apart from the argument about the burning of it being the major culprit of peat bog loss I have tried, many times, to use peat free but have had disastrous results.

I think that classing it as a luxury market is a very debatable point as I can think of many arguments for not classifying it as such. All of which does not really come into people's calculations whilst non-peat products have proved to be so far below the standard of peat products. The better solution is to stop the burning of the peat and for suppliers to make a much better non-peat product.

We use the compost for propagating plants to sell for charity or for our own use for seed propagation. We can't sell them if they don't grow properly and, on the scale that we sell them, the money raised does a fantastic job for the charity.

• Like Like x 3
            • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,830
              I do not agree with your statement that the percentage used for gardening is small in comparison to fires. Horticultural use is the greatest use of peat in the UK, it's huge, with much of it being imported from Ireland and the Baltic countries, especially now that extraction is finally being controlled in the UK. Burning peat in the UK is small and largely limited to rural parts of Scotland. I have tried to research this but finding up to date statistics on the percentage used for horticulture is difficult.

Here is an site stating the views of Scottish Wildlife Trust:

50 for the Future - End peat extraction - Scottish Wildlife Trust

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
              • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,830
                I was shocked when I learned awhile ago that Ireland has a peat burning power station. I believe that Geoff Hamilton, one of my heros, was one of the first people to draw attention to large scale peat extraction for this purpose and it's use in horticulture and was one of the first, if not the first, to search for alternatives. Remember his old trials with coir on Gardener's World in the 80s and 90s? As stated in my above post, a huge amount of peat is industrially extracted for horticulture, destroying huge acreage of natural peat bogs.

• Like Like x 1
                  Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
                • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,830
                  You make some good points, Shiney. I think the manufactures of compost really need to get their act together and make some decent and consistent peat free compost. Last year I bought several bags of Aldi peat free compost and found it very good, for a change; the best I've found so far. I'll buy it again this year. Others have not been so good, I agree. What I often do is add rotted manure and sharp sand to the bought peat free compost. Admittedly it is a bit hit and miss.

I think those who believe horticulture doesn't use much peat are kidding themselves. Peat extraction on an industrial scale is horrifying and we all have a responsibility to stop using it.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                    +28,997
                    I think if DEFRA's policy was for both gardeners and commercial growers to stop using peat by 2020 then there might be some decent peat free stuff around by now, but I suspect we might have to wait until nearer 2030 when commercial users are supposed to stop using peat for anything really good to become available.

• Like Like x 5
                    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                      Ratings:
                      +118,527
                      This will never happen unless legislation is brought in.

I've tried all sorts of different mixtures but nothing compares to a peat based compost.

Apart from garden centre type businesses pushing plants there are numerous TV programmes encouraging people to grow things. Even without that we are a nation of gardeners - and I applaud that. :blue thumb: It has been shown to be beneficial to the health of the people and is now promoting the growing of plants to help the wildlife. So there needs to be a balance somehow. Also, there has been an increase in grow your own over the last couple of decades.

I try to be conscious of the world around me but there's a limit to how much I'm prepared to compromise what I like with what I'm told I should be doing. Government, industry and farming don't seem to take as much interest in the environment as gardeners do.

I like my garden to look good but try to make it a good habitat for the wildlife (except rats, foxes, rabbits, squirrels and badgers :snork:). I keep a wild area at the bottom of my garden (less than it used to be because I can't cope anymore with some of the problems it brings), have lots of plants for bees and butterflies, plenty of habitat for birds (and they get through 20kg of seed every five or six weeks), even the pheasants feel happy enough to sometimes nest in the garden, and have a gold award from the Wildlife Trust. I also recycle tons of garden produced compost.

This still doesn't stop me from using 3,000 - 6,000 litres of peat based compost each year and, until they can produce a good enough compost I shall have to continue doing it.

I think that most of our members try to do their bit and the others are learning from us. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 6
                      • Like Like x 3
                      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                        +28,997
                        Yet it always seems to be us gardeners who get hit by bans first, whilst commercial users can carry on using stuff for many years after we've been banned from using it.

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +100,836
                          There are 3 Peat burning Power Stations in Ireland.........[a] Edenberry, Lough Ree, [c] West Offaly.

There are also 2 in Estonia, 3 in Finland, 1 in Russia, and 2 Rwanda.:dunno:.

Our Hero too:love30::dunno:, Redwing. He did feature Peat Free Compost in his Gardeners World series but after a trial period admitted being disappointed that it was not up to any real standard and that, unfortunately, there was a marked improvement using Peat added compost. There is still no comparable alternative to Peat added composting in the UK, so we have no choice in using to get good seedlings and plants.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
                            Ratings:
                            +10,739
                            I've always tried to avoid using peat based composts, although I do agree that the quality and consistency of peat free potting composts in particular is very variable to say the least. I've tried several over the years and have usually been disappointed.

My solution has been to make up batches of home made potting compost whenever possible, using about two parts leaf mould to one part each of sifted soil and sifted garden compost, with a couple of good handfuls of fish, blood & bone thrown in. This always gives me good results, although I do realize this is not a practical solution for those of you who need large quantities of consistently good quality compost.

As for seed compost, there is one which I can thoroughly recommend and which has performed consistently well for me for many years now. It's not peat free, BUT it is made from naturally occurring peat extracted from water which runs off moorland, so involves no peat excavation. It's called Moorland Gold, more information here: West Riding Organics

Admittedly it's not cheap, but I'm happy to pay the extra for a quality product which I only use in small quantities and which gets my seedlings off to a good start every year.

• Like Like x 2
                              Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
                            • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                              At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                              Ratings:
                              +49,623
                              Blimey @Trunky - at nearly £14 for 40 litres, I would expect it to self-sow the seeds!

• Like Like x 1
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +52,617
                                I moved up here to the Highlands a few months ago and now read a Scottish newspaper on renewable energy. Scotland as a whole is producing a very high percentage of renewable energy which consists of wind, hydro (water) and solar power, in fact I was surprised at how many homes here have solar panels on their roofs. A recently established underwater turbine is now undergoing testing in the area I live. Recent reports state that Scotland will be using 100% renewable energy within a few years. The burning of peat here has to be minimal because of this and no doubt will eventually be stopped. Whether Scottish peat is used from a gardening point of view I have no idea at this time, as it's something I've not researched.

• Like Like x 2
                                  Last edited: Jan 17, 2017