1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST SUPPLIER OF COMPOST 2018

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I'll now carry out a more detailed check on exactly how much rubbishy Wickes compost I bought last year, and use @shiney 's links to seek a replacement with decent stuff (likes Jacks Magic) .

Will post response on here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Same here, and the same for hundreds/thousands/etc others with the same problem.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Are we being sidetracked somewhat about what year, or what code it has, or hasn't. and whether or not the Compost is breaching our consumer right?
        Surely, what Wickes needs to do is take note that that their attempts to formulate a satisfactory General Purpose Compost while reducing, or taking out completely, the Peat content is not working:doh::dunno:
        I, myself, have not yet found any Peat Free Compost that works satisfactorily or is economically viable to my wallet when buying in large quantities. I'm still using B&Q Verve General. Peat Added, Compost and, while it's not perfect by any means, it's giving me good results for sowing, growing on seedlings and beyond.........and it's affordable. :coffee::snorky:

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        The Wickes isn't advertised as peat free is it ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          The blurb says ...........

"The Gardeners Multi-Purpose Compost - 90L
          Product Code: 174692

Produced from a balanced peat blend, this multi-purpose compost offers the best planting conditions making it ideal for use all around the garden. It provides a ready source nutrients and minerals that will feed your plants for up to 4-5 weeks."

So, it doesn't give a figure on the proportion of Peat to the other contents of the compost but merely says "a balanced peat blend", is that marketing "speak" to avoid telling you how much Peat is, or is not, in the Compost.:scratch::snorky:

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,089
          Im going to track down some of the Murphys peat compost i used last year. Lovely stuff. Just hate paying full rrp for it.

Looks like i shoild have said clover instead of murphys :doh:

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
          • Scrungee

Ratings:
            +28,997
            A local farm shop sells (40L ?) bags of pure 100% Irish peat. They even had 2 differents brands. I was looking at them whilst my wife was buying a sack of layers pellets on Tuesday and remember thinking it was cheaper than many 'peat free' composts. Probably even cheaper if buying the giant 200L bales Clover Peat and Compost Suppliers across the UK

• Like Like x 1
            • Scrungee

Ratings:
              +28,997
              The year purchased may differ from the year produced. Early this year (5th Feb) I called into a branch of Wickes for 20 L bags of seed compost, having first checked their stock level online which showed they had over 400 bags (4+ pallets).

As I couldn't initially find any with their other composts on display, I asked at their 'help desk' where they checked their online stock system and pronounced they hadn't got any in stock, but as it was such a large discrepancy I went for a better look around, and saw 4 unopened pallets at the top of their high level outdoor storage racking in their outdoor sales area.

I took a picture of it, went back to their help desk and showed it to them, plus showed them on my phone the stock level showing on their website. They re-checked their instore system which again showed none in stock, then denounced their system as rubbish and admitted this sort of thing happened all the time.

We then went back outside and the member of staff wrote a reference number (SKU ?) on a piece of paper to hand to their forklift driver and get a pallet down for me. The flt driver (who appeared to know more than anybody else in the store) also found yet another partly sold pallet around the back in their private storage area that had been taken back there for some unknown reason.

That, together with the absence of batch codes, suggests to me that Wickes could have old, previous year's stock hanging around over winter, that gets sold after new stock is delivered the following spring, so using terms such as this year's, last year's, 2017, 2018 can be meaningless.

I hope somebody from Wickes is reading this thread.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                +21,666
                Would be good if Antony or Mark (Hamill I noticed...any light sabre?) joined the forum and engaged directly... I stopped using Wickes after their last fluff up, this just reinforces that the suppliers can't get consistency or assured product delivered out to consumers. Shame.

Last year I used Jacks Magic which performed well and this year I'm trying out Evergreen. There's also a new peat free MPC I'd like to try but forgot to pick up a bag! At £5.25 though the performance would have to be stellar!
                [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,304
                  @Loofah I'm sure that either Antony or Mark would be happy to join. There's nothing in our rules stopping a manufacturer joining, answering questions and putting their point of view - as long as it's not blatant advertising. :blue thumb:

I'm not sure there's much else for them to say at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +21,666
                    No but it would heartening to us punters to see that a manufacturer is willing to take this so seriously. It's great what they have done so I don't mean that to come across badly. We very rarely get to engage directly in an open forum

• Like Like x 2
                    • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +4,092
                      So guess who hasn’t been online for a while/ missed this thread and went to wickes for compost today :doh:surprise surprise it was terrible. After checking on here and seeing @shiney ’s post I followed his advise and rang the store. I got a refund in the end. They did say they sell loads and hadn’t had any other complaints :scratch: I can’t see how anything would grow in it :noidea:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        Agreed, Scrungee, I think what I was trying to point out was that if Wickes have changed their "recipe" for peat added general purpose compost by reducing the amount of peat and adding more "fibre" then the root [pun intended] cause is that and only that. So checking codes etc will only get you more bags of impoverished compost unless, of course, you happen to come across some bags of compost still in stock before they reduced the amount of Peat.:dunno::coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Scrungee

Ratings:
                          +28,997
                          If any compost producer changes their formulation, then I believe it should be made clear on ammended packaging, a revised batch number isn't sufficient.

The lack of batch numbers/QA Codes also has consequences for the likes of another contaminated compost episode (not Wickes previously), but without them how on earth will Wickes (and anybody else) be able to withdraw any stuff that's going to kill your plants? Recall everything and destroy their entire stock, or wait for gardeners to complain that their crops have been ruined and offer a replacement?

Supermarkets have these systems in place for defective product recalls, only yesterday Tesco prevented her from buying some ready meals for her parents when it was flagged up at the till that they must not sell them as the product was withdrawn.

• Like Like x 1
                          • Informative Informative x 1
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,836
                            Well, sometimes they do put it on the bag, usually where you can't see, in small print the fact that they've changed the recipe.........but it's usually in "marketing speak" which praises it's so called quality even though they have reduced it's peat content and ability to grow plants. I think it's obvious that despite Government pressures on both the Manufacturer and Gardener to reduce Peat use, that Gardeners will look elsewhere when Manufacturers can't meet the standards that Gardeners not only want, but need.:dunno::coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1