Best Supplier Of Compost 2023

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2023.

?

If You Had A Choice Of Compost Which Of These Are You Likely To Prefer?

1. 1: 100% peat based compost

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. 2: peat reduced compost 50/50

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. 3: peat free

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,823
    Thanks for the reply @Chiaroscuro. gks has said that the company that produces it is no longer functioning, which is why you can't get hold of it.

That was possibly amongst those I was looking at. I don't know if I could buy it here, I've not seen it. It doesn't make any difference as I couldn't use it anyway.

That is the one I bought @gks and they can't make a good peat free compost either for that price. :biggrin:

2. gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
    Ratings:
    +4,947
    Not that i know of, I reckon it would be to expensive to purchase even if it was available commercially in large quantities.

I have never seen leaf mould but I have seen it for sale on eBay, there is also an online website that sells leaf mould, again it is expensive. Also where it is being sold online they say it weighs roughly 400 gramms per litre, which makes it heavier than the likes of peat, coir, wood fibre and composted bark.

3. Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,953
    Local morrisons is selling reduced blocks of coir that rehydrate to 75l allegedly for £4, is this decent value? I'm wondering if I should wait a bit till they reduce it again as i like a bargain. Also selling 40l new horizons bags at £3.75

4. gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
    Ratings:
    +4,947
    I wonder if we will here anything next week regarding the ban of compost containing peat to the retail sector by the end of 2024.

My understanding is, if nothing is mentioned in the Kings speech next week regarding banning peat, then it's unlikely it will pass law before the general election.

Campaigners slam government for ‘broken promises’ on nature

• Informative Informative x 3
    • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,148
      Suspect it could be done by Statutory Instrument, within existing legislation.

• gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
      Ratings:
      +4,947
      They could do, the problem for the current government is N'Ireland and Scotland have still not announced a phasing out plan to ban peat. So under the "Internal Market Act" they can continue to manufacture compost containing peat for the retail sector, which will still be lawfully allowed to be sold to the retail sector in England. Ireland has been importing more peat and my understanding is they will continue to use peat for as long as they can.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +1,148
        Has Eire, within the EU , acted to stop use? It was originally stated that we, while members, HAD to follow the Habitat Directives. Could we import from Eire if a ban was introduced to prevent UK production. Are other nations following this initiative, especially Canada, Russia (obviously sanctioned at present) and, maybe surprisingly, Congo ?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
      • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
        Ratings:
        +4,947
        There is still peat being harvested in Eire but not the quantities there was since Bord Na Mona, a subsidiary company of the Irish government seized harvesting. Bord Na Mona were harvesting nearly 4 million tonnes annually, considerably more than all the other peat companies put together. As bulk of that peat was being burnt for energy they came under tighter restrictions and had there harvesting season suspended as they were not upfront with regulations set by the EU

Bord Na Mona are being challenged in the courts regarding wood pellets as it is believed they are coming from a unsustainable source.

Just like this peat harvesting company in Eire, similar to Bord Na Mona, probably harvesting from bogs they were not supposed to.

Midlands firm ordered to cease unauthorised peat harvesting – The Irish Times

Now if the peat ban does go through parliament, I will not be allowed to import raw peat from anywhere as I am based in England. However, the manufactures from anywhere, excluding England will be lawfully allowed to manufacture peat based compost and sell it to the retailers in England. So in a nutshell, I will be banned from making compost containing peat for the retail sector, but I will be lawfully allowed to purchase the finished product from anywhere that sells it, including Congo and sell it to the general public.

So if a manufacturer in Congo makes 100% peat based compost and the entry point in the UK is England, it will illegal for it to be sold in England. Now if that compost enters the UK in Scotland or N'Ireland, it can then enter England and be lawful sold by English retailers.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,174
          That's just as sensible as some of the other laws! :whistle: :doh:

• Agree Agree x 4
          • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
            Ratings:
            +4,947
          • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
            Ratings:
            +4,947
            For bagged peat based compost to be banned by the end of 2024, legislation would have needed to go through parliament for the ban to be implemented within the timescale.
            This legislation was omitted from the King Speech meaning it will be up to the retailers to decide if they go peat free, this will then be voluntary and for them to say there is a legislation would be deemed misleading to the consumer.

Lack of peat legislation in the King’s Speech is disappointing, says the RHS - Pro Landscaper Magazine.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +122,174
              • Funny Funny x 1
              Thread Status:
              Not open for further replies.