Beth Chatto's Gardens

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Kandy, May 15, 2009.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
  2. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then when we had finished we called in at the cafe?Restaurant and had a nice lunch...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this was the view that we got through the window as we were eating our lunch...
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed the gardens and sorry if there are any blurred photo's but my hand was getting quiet painful and I was struggling to get some decent shots....

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Wow..nice..very nice. Looks like you nearly had the place to yourselves.
    Some amazing plants to see. Thanks for sharing them
    robert

4. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks Robert.We got there just as it was opening so to begin with there wasn't many people but because it was a cracking day weather wise it soon filled up,plus it was a week day which helped and I also managed to get some of the photo's as the visitors went out of shot behind trees.:D

He website showed the entrance fee to the garden as £2.50 each but the prices had gone up to £5 each which we felt was still good value as we were there for four hours.She is also opening more days than was advertised last year.:thmb:

The only downside was there wasn't as many plants for sale in the nursery bit although there were loads in an area closed off to the public which I suspect is for the mail order side of the buisness.A great day out though and we would like to go back at another time of the year:)

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,669
    "The only downside was there wasn't as many plants for sale in the nursery bit although there were loads in an area closed off to the public"

When I've wanted something [at Beth Chato's] that wasn't in the garden centre they have gone off to have a look and invariable found it for me :)

They didn't have a Thalia dealbata that I wanted though :(

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    kandy very nice, like the pond and you got some lovely plants and flowers, my friend would of been taking cuttings from some of them hehe, see mr kandys enjoying his birthday day out his camera at the ready.
    my friend and i are going to sunderland wild garden centre one day soon so hope i get as many pics as you got.
    thanks for sharing

7. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,807
    Hi Kandy Lovely Photos and an enchanting place,particularly Liked the Aquilegia and the tree Peonies but they are all easy on the Eyes,especially the Chocolate Cake Plant(must get one of those):hehe:
    thanks for sharing them with us:thumb::)

8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +123,176
    Hi Kandy,

Lovely photos :gnthb:. She has worked wonders with the site over the years and it is worth the entry fee. I remember it the year she bought the land and it was mainly a gravel pit with a little stream. I said to Mrs shiney 'she'll never manage to do all the work to get this area looking good'!:hehe: In five years she had already got it looking great and deserves all the honours that she has got :yho:

Thanks for sharing your photos :thmb:

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh Kandy you have manage to take some really lovely pictures.

My favourite ones (other than the ones showing the birthday boy posing really sweetly) are the little tracks through the woods with the flowers and forna they look like paintings!

Well done you have a very good eye sweetie. :luv: Hel.xxx.

10. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +705
    Looks like my sort of place Kandy. :)

It looks deserted there! Did you pick a quiet day?

11. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi everyone,Thanks for the lovely comments:thmb: Sorry Kristen didn't realise you had commented on page 1:oops::o I have had a look at your photo's as I think it is nice to see things at at different time of the year:thumb: There wasn't anyone about to ask about any plants when we got to the nursery as they were either working in the grwoing section or were round the garden weeding the beds.Hops you manage to get the plant you want in the end:)

Shiney,have you been to see the gardens since your visit that time?You will have seen how much it has come on in the forty years since she started on the gardens.It was a shame that her husband was unwell at the time but I think he did what he could and enjoyed the gardens as well:)