Bizarre gardening injuries!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by windy miller, Nov 5, 2006.

1. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    What a chapter of accidents!! Remind me to keep well clear of you all, particularly Nick and Mrs MacLeaf!!

2. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Have a friend that is an eye consultant and the majority of eye injuries he sees are from gardeners!

TAKE CARE

4. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i bet his not met my wife,the last one who did resigned :D :D :D :D

5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I had a bad scratch to cornea out riding about 7 years ago, I was so busy eyeing up a falen log to jump I completely missed the low branch that wacked me in the eye. I still feel it even now, its no joke!

Have to say though I have not yet ended up in the river with a lawn mower - hope it wasn't electric!

Oh and somewhere I have a picture of Mr Waco clipping the leylandii hedge with electric clippers balanced on the top or precarious step ladders - Have him well insured!

6. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Last week i had a catasrophic morning. all in the spate of 1 min too, I cut off a bit of berberis, but to protect the dogs, i bent down to pick it up, I banged my head on the pergola post, stepped back on a rake, got the back of the head. Put both hands up to rub head and stabbed left hand with secatuers, turned and hit berberis through jeans on thigh and to top it all, whilst bending down at some point stabbed my hip with my pocket knife tip. Bumps and bleeding all over the place. My hubby said i looked like i was making a new 'home alone in the garden movie. He laughed so hard, that i hit his shoulder, but my hand sliped off his jacket and i thumped a rose bush. ouch. Thankfully i haven't had an incident like it before or after.

7. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Ouch, ouch and ouch again, compostee ... glad I'm a long way away from you! :D :D :D

8. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    OK a bit off topic BUT...........

Week before last I was teaching pupils how to put a clarinet together. I demonstrated on my instrument and trapped my hand in the joint of the clarinet, in nearly 35 years have never done that before.

So there I am screaming Sh1t XXXXX and all the rest, to find a group of pupils totaly scared of even attempting to do the job for fear of ending up like me - blood blisters all over my hand!

Of course I blame it on my medication!

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    It's definitely one of those black and white slapstick films, Compostee! Not real-life at all!! :D

And Waco, I can just imagine it!! To stay off thread...... I was teaching a class of 13 year-olds, in a boys' school in Liverpool, when I got thoroughly annoyed with them, slammed down my teacher's book on the desk, for a good effect, and broke my finger. Somehow I managed not to say anything at all, but carried on. What an act!!

10. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I am obviously not as self controlled as you dendy!

My aunt (many years ago ) was teaching in an infant school. One of her pupils was banging their pencil up and down on her desk. She told him to stop it and when he did not she put her hand in the way and the pencil went straight through her hand! YUCK!

11. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my mum cut the end off her finger by lifting up the mower when it was on.

She also singed her eyebrows when she poured petrol on the bonfire and lit it. I was in the house 100m away and the explosion shook the place.

It's a miracle she is still alive doing things like that!

12. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Great tales guys :D :D [​IMG]

Sparkle - please don't let your Mum do anything that involves sharp objects or fires again!!! :eek: :eek:

13. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Windy, I do my best but she's a bit of a liability. I don't know what happens to her common sense some times.

14. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    A bit like Mrs Macleaf? :rolleyes: [​IMG]

I'm still chuckling about the mower into the pond story!

15. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Also off topic but can't resist this one ....
    I was sister in charge of a plaster room attached to the A&E. Put a plaster on the foot of a young man who was brought in wearing a jarati suit. I asked him how he sustained this rather nasty break and he said he'd been breaking tiles but had forgotten to brace his foot properly. I asked him what his instructor had had to say about it and - yes, you've guessed it - he rather grimly replied "I am the instructor!"