Blanket Weed removal and its prevention

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by TheMadHedger, Apr 26, 2024.

1. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +5,150
    The water hawthorn does tend to like a bit of shade, so that could be why it's happier in spring and autumn for you @pete . Mine flowered all summer in the old pond I had, which was tiny and much shadier. This pond is in a much sunnier site, so it's a bit less vigorous over summer. I'm hoping the seedlings will keep thriving though.
    My daughters got me a white pygmy water lily, when the pond was tiny, but it's now spread and been divided, so I'm hoping I'll get more coverage with it. Many of them would be too vigorous for this pond too.

• Like Like x 1
    • BenCotto

BenCotto Gardener

Ratings:
      +437
      I’m another who thought the impact of barley straw was feeble.

For about four years, with great effect, I used Nishikoi Clear Waters. It is a Which? best buy product. In their promotional advertising they say the product is completely harmless to other aquatic life, animal and vegetable.

Now, I don’t know if it was cause and effect or just coincidence but in those four years the water lilies grew weakly.

My path of attack now is a cane and a sturdy net on a telescopic handle. Blanket weed twirling is surely one of the most therapeutic tasks in the garden.

• Like Like x 1
      • Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,891
        I have tried barley straw in a previous pond and it was a waste of time money and effort. I now use an organic liquid treatment each year which does not clear blanket weed 100% but definitely reduces it.

• Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,088
        I've used Cloverleaf for 20+ years in my fish pond and it works well.
        It is made from crushed diatoms, so is totally non-toxic.
        It does turn the water milky for a few days, then it clears and the algae dies off.
        It is a good idea to remove the extra layer of silt that accumulates each year to remove additional nutrients that the algae thrive on.

My little wildlife pond also gets blanketweed - I gently lift it out with my fingers and check for any eggs/bugs before leaving it on the side of the pond for a day.
        Once the plants start growing well they will outcompete the algae and the water will naturally clear.