Bob & Hel's allotment

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanx Kandy yes we are going to grow fruit on the other allotment next to ours I think we might as well take that on me thinks, with a bit of luck and good weather of course I think we should have the vacant plot ready for planting up with fruit bushes come September.

Colin not much to see as yet although we have now covered most of the bottom patch (which we started to dig) with some wonderful weed membrane from a farmer the other day can you believe it each strip covered the whole allotment! I was really pleased that I brought 3 lots off him and all for £5 each it was murder folding it all up but Bob's a master at rolling canvas etc. so it wasn't too much of a job for him!

Kathy thanks sweetie your kind words will I'm sure spur us on if we ever slack or tire, it is without a doubt hard work but at least at the end of the day it's more garden for us to work on, I'll bet in no time at all the guys down there will be saying 'Flowers I ask you doesn't she know you are supposed to grow veg down here? But it will keep them on their toes!

If the weather holds I'll be popping over later on even if it's just to see if the membrane is still there!:DHel.xxx.

2. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Colin not much to see as yet although we have now covered most of the bottom patch (which we started to dig) with some wonderful weed membrane from a farmer the other day can you believe it each strip covered the whole allotment! I was really pleased that I brought 3 lots off him and all for £5 each it was murder folding it all up but Bob's a master at rolling canvas etc. so it wasn't too much of a job for him!

If the weather holds I'll be popping over later on even if it's just to see if the membrane is still there!:DHel.xxx.[/quote]
    Hellen there is alway somthing to see.

and you think your nosy, you dont even come close:p :thumb:

3. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Come on Hel, where are the new pics?

Love you
    xxxxxx

4. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    come on Hellen, chopp bloody chopp. get those pickys up :p

[​IMG]

:):thumb:

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all no pictures yet been too busy trying to plant no end of stuff finally got Ray's cabbage plants in complete with Joe's draining collars to keep the pigeons off them.....see it does help being a little flirty with the guys!

We have also sown some beetroot, radish, dwarf french beans and also transfered our leek seedlings as well as some swedes we had growing at home not sure how the swedes will cope with the transfer though.:confused:

Been told by most of the guys down on the allotment that they tend to sow their seeds in modules instead of just thrown into the ground so we are going to give that a go.

The first square patch that we dug over has now been filled with seedlings and seeds so it's onto the next patch to turn over 6 or 8 turns and that should do it lucky for us I can dig away for hours on end none stop which is a good thing because when I do stop that's it for the day!:D

We have also taken on the vacant plot next to us but have told the fellows not to expect miracles as we have to find out where the water runs off from the higher fields but Bob and I are hoping that because we will have dug over the hard land for the first time in 10 years it will allow some of the water to soak down instead of running down the plots like a stream if not it's trench digging time for us!:D Hel.xxx.

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Been a busy bee once again as any loyal wife does I ran Bob a bath only not one indoors but down on the allotment needless to say he refused to have a dip the dirty boy!

Bob's made his first (of many) compost bins out of pallets and the weed membrane (we brought the other week) a lick of colouring (by me) and it looks smashing now just need endless more now.

The bath and compost bin is on the side that joins our plot to Ray's next door further down that side we intend to make some raised seedling beds as on this part of the allotment it gets the full sun all day long.

We have trees on our plot that joins our plot to the vacant plot next door (our other plot now!) so we are going to put other compost bins there, some cages to store our cabbage collars etc. and maybe even a little shelter with a large wooden box to store our tools in as the ground underneath the trees will not be viable to even try to grow anything there and if some kind soul comes along and nicks our gear well they will be welcomed to them just as long as I don't catch them as I were my old steel cappers down on the allotment and rest assured a kick up the butt from one of them is surely going to hurt!:eek::D

I'll try and remember to take my camera along with me today to show you all our progress slow but sure we are getting there!:thumb:Hel.xxx.

7. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HELLEN the millitant .. poore ole Bob ( i feel your pain )

Hellen the only way you can kick my **** is kick high real high. learn the cann cann :D

:thumb:

8. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    I never imagined you were that tall master:D 02

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lol Colin, Wendy I'm always up for a challenge although I must admit I always thought Master was a short a*se!:eek::D

By the way you both must have guessed it I forgot my camera again 'note to self remember my blooming camera next time! :oHel.xxx.

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,957
    Pictures! We need pictures! Not of you kicking anyone mind (although if you've got any stick em on :D) Must see this bath & compost bin :thumb:

11. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Helen sounds like you are getting on well with your allotment plots especially now that you have got the other plot as well.:thumb:

We took our old bath over to our lottie years ago and was going to use it as a large water vessel for watering our plants,but some of the miserable ones started going on about health and safety and kiddlewinkles drowning so we filled it with yellow water Iris instead,though at the moment they are struggling to survive as the water is seeping out of the plug hole even though the plug is still in the hole:rolleyes::D

You will be glad of the compost bins and will soon fill them if like us you recycle all your kitchen,garden and allotment waste:)

I do hope you are taking care of Bob and not cracking the whip too much:rolleyes::D

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The long awaited update pictures are now here although I have to admit once again I nearly forgot to take my camera with me I'm just too eager to get to the allotments.

Don't laugh at the 'make do' shelter it's just to try to keep us reasonably dry when the thunderstroms come over as before the shelter went up I would huddle down with one of those flexy buckets on my head....I kid you not I looked like some kind of cheap extra from Dr.Who!:eek:

This picture shows our first large bed planted up complete with cabbage collars made from old drain pipe that we borrowed from the lovely guys down on the plots 'borrowed' as in the guys knowingly let us take them for awhile and that we did not nick them...... I just thought I would add that.:D

Bob has been busy making his own collars from half guttering with the aid of duck tape must get that one on Allotment builds!

The collars are to keep the pigeons from pulling up the cabbages as their tend to like the young plants something rotten although for some reason they don't like putting their heads down a hole so the collars scare them! I know this to be true as Ray (next door) didn't use the collar method and planted his cabbages solo by the next morning they were all gone although ours were all ok....not bad for a newbie!

[​IMG]

This second picture is of course a closer look at the veg plot I know the soil is still a little lumpy but it did take an awful lot of digs to get it to this stage and all by hand I hasten to add.

[​IMG]

This next picture is of our 'new' plot next door which was more over grown than our original one needless to say after a couple of hours hacking away we ended up with it looking like this.
    [​IMG]

We are just going to hack it down and have a good old bonfire and then cover this complete garden up until we have 'finished' with our first lot.

It's slow and without doubt hard work but it's blooming great to get your hands dirty in another new project! Hel.xxx.

13. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Wow, Helen
    You've sure made alot of progress there! Are you going to grow fruit too (when the times right)?
    I must admit I don't like cabbage, though nearly every other veg I do. Wish we had room here, I would love our own carrots etc.

Well done,

cheers

14. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Well done hel and Bob:thumb: I think your "mad" for taking on 2 huge projects, but also i admire you both, with your health problems and gardens at home, your doing a Fantastic job, you both get a Medal from me.. A great big gold one...Love Dee...
    ps,I love cabbage. what sort are you growing, :)

15. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Looking good Helen and Bob.:thumb: Bob has made a good job of building the compost bins for you and you will find next year that you will soon fill both of them.At least the contents will nourish the ground and put it in good condition ready for all those lovely veg that you will be sowing and growing:)

I see what you mean about the pipes for the pigeons.Do you have problems with rabbits are you ok where you are?:)