1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

BON VOYAGE- HOMEWARD BOUND MR & MRS T

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BeeHappy, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,623
    So pleased that you are settling into your new home, and look forward to the various updates as your garden develops under your stewardship

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,527
      It looks like a nice garden with great potential. :blue thumb:

I agree with you that the conifer should go and it will leave you with a lot more light and a brilliant chance for some colourful and shapely plants.

Pampas grass is a booger to dig out. I don't envy you.

I'm sure you'll have a great time making the garden as you want it. :)

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,193
      Love that working water pump feature Trunky

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
        Ratings:
        +10,739
        Continuing the guided tour of the new garden, a few more photos. :)

No shortage of shed space here, got these two plus a third one near the house and a garage for storing stuff as well.

Just beyond the furthest shed in this photo is - a sycamore. :yikes: Although it's been pollarded quite regularly over the years and isn't huge, I think it might have to go eventually. Not having one of those in my garden. :paladin:

DSC09686.JPG

Little herb garden near the back door. The pots are mine, I'll plant the rosemary and sage in there when I get time, there's already some oregano in there which I'll keep. Pity about the box hedging, which appears to have been planted in the shape of a swastika! :th scifD36: I might take a few of those out to give more room for the herbs and make it easier to get to the shed.

DSC09688.JPG

Got a little greenhouse in a sunny corner by the kitchen. Needs a good clean and a couple of cracked panes replacing but I should be able to grow a few bits and pieces in there. You can just see on the right of the photo, a large hazel growing right next to the greenhouse. Not ideal, so I'll probably coppice it to start with and may get rid of it completely in time as it's very close to the house too.

DSC09689.JPG

This area poses an interesting challenge. It's along the side of the drive leading to our semi-detached garage, which is separate from the rest of the house and garden. The fence faces south on that side and the soil is quite sandy here, so it will be a hot, dry border. I'm already drawing up a list in my head of low growing, dry tolerant plants which I can plant along there to make it more attractive and colourful.
        So far I've come up with; Helianthemum, Ophiopogon, Hardy Geranium, Teuchrium and Potentilla 'Gibson's Scarlet'.
        Any more suggestions?

DSC09709.JPG

• Like Like x 6
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,617
          An interesting garden Trunky. Are you sure you can wait a year before you start 'playing' in it? I don't think I could. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,193
            Hi Trunky, lots of potential there.

Your long dry sunny bed driveway reminds me of the entrance to Beth Chatto's garden. Don't know if you have ever been (probably as it's close to you) but she specializes in plants just for that situation. Might be worth a visit to get some ideas. You probably don't want plants that will get too big and floppy, depending on the width you have there, allowing for car door opening.

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
              Ratings:
              +6,133
              OOOOhhhh what a lovely prospect planting area Trunky :) Now then planting ideas :scratch: ...wat aboot ;)

Cercis silijudas tree--Truly a tree for all seasons.jpg
              The Cercis siliquastrum (Judas tree) --Truly a tree for all seasons. With an abundance of bright cerise pink blossoms in spring then in summer lovely heart-shaped leaves on delicate branches, its one of Beth Chatto scree plants... in her planting above... JUST BEEutiful ....soooo great minds think alike @JWK :)

3591106_m.jpg
              Love this combination

and Angels fishing Rods Dierama.jpg Dierama.jpg2.jpg
              And some Verbena varieties "Rigida" verbena_rigida_vervain_.jpg
              and the dwarf Bonariensis "Lollipop" Lollipop Verbena.jpg
              Not forgetting these plants Achillea- who would revel in the scheme and not flop over as they often do in too rich a soil
              Achillea 'Cloth of Gold' Achillea 'Cloth of Gold'.jpg

and Achilliea "Strawberry Seduction" Achillea ‘Strawberry Seduction’.jpg
              OMG OMG can i come and help :dancy:.......soooo exciting all these new plans and ideas to consider :wub2: Or I'll have to have your scree bed idea here now as its got me all a flutter now :hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 6
              • Funny Funny x 1
                Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,617
                Ooooo! That first picture has given me an idea for my front garden @BeeHappy, thank you for posting it. :)

• Like Like x 3
                • Trunky

Ratings:
                  +10,739
                  Thanks for the suggestions folks. :)

@JWK Although it's quite close, I've never got around to visiting Beth Chatto's garden. I think it's about time I did, I'm sure I'll come away with all sorts of ideas for planting that dry area, thanks for the timely reminder. :dbgrtmb:

@BeeHappy Some good suggestions there thanks, you've given me lots more ideas for planting now. :)
                  The combination of lavender and arctic poppy works well and I like the look of the dwarf Verbena too - haven't seen that one before, so a new plant for me to try there.
                  Achillea is another good suggestion for that situation, I might go for a low growing variety in that bed so it doesn't flop over.
                  I've had a browse on the Beth Chatto Gardens website and that's given me a few ideas too.

I'm gradually adding to the list of plants I might use in that hot, dry bed now. A few more possibilities; Lavender, Osteospermum, Dwarf Verbena, Achillea, Oregano and one I've not tried before - Eriophyllum, anyone have any experience of growing that?

• Like Like x 3
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,527
                    Beth has a gravel garden that is never watered. It should be of interest to you.

It's an interesting place to go to and has developed from a waste area to what it is today. We went there for the first time in 1968 and went back in 1972 to buy some of the (then) unusual plants when we moved into Shineyland in 1972. The only survivor from those days is our Verbascum chaixii. I think she was the first plant centre to sell them and labelled them as an unusual plant.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Informative Informative x 2
                    • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
                      Ratings:
                      +6,133
                      @Trunky your most :sign0016: glad to have been some use .... suggestions are just that aren't they! sometimes just learning ....as a self-confessed plantaholic :snorky: and reading about certain plants that you may covert but no matter how much you lust after ...your garden may not be entirely suitable for .... the bonus being that there are new undiscovered plant suggestions for other gardeners to read up on and decide their on their suitability for them ... it's all about personal choice in the end and knowing your own garden climate and frost/ sun pockets ..... your most certainly going to enjoy creating that area a wonderful blank canvas to let your imagination run wild with - happy days :spinning:

• Like Like x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Trunky

Ratings:
                        +10,739
                        Managed to sneak in a little gardening this weekend. :)

I decided to get rid of the large hazel which was growing right next to the greenhouse. Not only was it overshadowing the greenhouse, but it was only about 3 or 4 feet from the house, close to the kitchen window and near a drain - what could possibly go wrong? :dunno: :heehee:

I'd estimate it had already been growing there for at least 10 years, I could have just coppiced it but hazels stumps just go on getting bigger and producing more roots however much you coppice them so it has to go. Digging it out wasn't an option so I simply cut it down and treated the cut stump with a strong Roundup mixture.

Mrs Trunky set about cleaning the greenhouse glass as it was quite green on the outside, so today I did my first sowing since we moved here. :yes: Just a couple of pots of winter salad leaves (Mizuna and Tatsoi) in the greenhouse but it's a start.

Around the back of the garage is a small, steeply banked strip of land just a few feet wide which will need strimming and tidying up a few times a year. It's mainly rough grass and Vinca at present but a few brambles had begun to establish themselves. I wasn't having them in there, so I dug out the ones I could and cut the rest off before treating the cut stumps. Came away with a few scratches but I'm sure it's saved me a lot more work in the long term. :psnp:

• Like Like x 4
                        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +31,885
                          Wow, that is more than just a little :love30:

Congratulations on your first sowings :hapydancsmil: Now it will really begin to feel like "home" :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2