1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bread making

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by capney, Aug 22, 2008.

1. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
  2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    [​IMG]
    (Camera phone shot)

White on the left, wholemeal on the right.

Unfortunately, the casserole dish I used to cook it in was too small, impeding its growth as it cooked (lid restricted) so its a little stodgy.

Will make up another couple to bake in larger casserole dish tomorrow.

Steve...:)

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Looking good Steve. Which is just as well as I have started one going a couple of hrs ago !

4. sparky

sparky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Magimix is good for pastry and most other things. supermarts have Buttermilk. Look for the highest protein for bread flour,allinsons have a 13% one.

5. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    At last we have purchased a proper food bowl stand mixer.
    All 1000W of raw mixing power...wow
    Mainly for the bread but im sure it will have a lot more use.
    I made up a batch today, just basic white bloomer and four rolls and they turned out a treat.
    Looks like the old bread machine is on its way out.
    I shall have to reapraise all my recipes now and basically start again.
    Sparkey...thanks for tip.
    robert

6. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Yummy. I finally managed to make some real nice looking soft rolls.
    I adapted an American recipe and this was the result.

[​IMG]

7. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    I could eat them right now! They look baked to perfection.

8. rickfc

rickfc Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My mouth is watering, I WANT BREAD, NOW. Rick

9. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Mmmmmmmmmm get the butter out.:wink:

10. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    This is the recipe for the above rolls..

Soft rolls

1 1/4 cups Whole milk - warm (44C)
    3 tablespoons Unsalted butter- melted and cooled
    2 tablespoon Sugar
    1 large Egg - at room temperature and beaten
    3/4 teaspoon Salt
    3 cups Plain flour
    2 1/4 teaspoons Instant Yeast (I use 7g packet)

I have copied and adapted this recipe available from bigoven.com â?¦.thankyou

Instructions
    To make the dough:
    Using the paddle attachment on a stand mixer, dissolve sugar, salt and yeast in warm milk.
    Add melted butter and beaten egg and mix well. Still using the paddle attachment, slowly add in flour 1/2 cup at a time. Once fully incorporated, replace paddle with dough hook and knead until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, approximately 8 to 10 minutes. (The dough will be quite sticky but should clear the bowl, but sticking a bit at the bottom.)
    Remove mixing bowl from stand mixer and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rise, in a draft-free warm place, until nearly doubled in bulk, about 1 to 2 hours, depending on the warmth of your kitchen. (I have also covered the dough well and placed it in the refrigerator overnight. This works really well. Let the dough stand at room temperature for 1 hour before proceeding with recipe.)
    To shape the rolls: Punch down risen dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
    Lightly knead dough to remove any large air bubbles and form into a flattened ball. Allow dough to rest about 10 minutes. Lightly grease or line a half sheet pan with a silicon baking pad or parchment paper. Use a bench scraper or knife to divide the dough in half, then divide each half in half, then divide each quarter into three even pieces, for a total of 12.
    Shape pieces into smooth balls by cupping your hand over each piece, and using your thumb and pinkie to keep piece inside your cupped hand, push dough with heel of your hand against work surface while rolling in a circular motion to form a smooth ball. Repeat with remaining dough pieces.
    Space balls about 2-inches apart on prepared baking pan. Loosely cover with a clean damp towel or lightly greased plastic wrap and let rise, in a draft-free warm place, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour (rolls should be very puffy and touching one another at this point).
    Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 180C. Bake rolls until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Watch closely to avoid overbaking. Transfer rolls to a wire rack to cool slightly, and brush tops with melted butter or margarine, if desired. Serve rolls warm, or store in an airtight container.
    -- Variations --
    Mixing in whole wheat flour gives great flavour; start by substituting a quarter cup and see what ratio works for you.
    Brush hot-from-the-oven rolls with melted butter for a soft, buttery crust.
    For snowflake rolls, gently shake flour from a sieve atop the warm rolls.

11. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Update on above recipe.
    At the time of making I reckoned that 2 tablespoons sugar was a bit over the top.
    So, today I make another batch without the sugar and guess what.
    They are great............More suited to your savory filling we like so much.
    Give it go. I have two large rolls in the freezer for burgers later in the week and the rest in an airtight for nibbles...
    robert

12. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Homemade bread is something I love - but.....often have best intentions but just not the time to make it. Bread machines no good - as there are 7 of us....so it just doesn't work :)

Do you have a particular type of flour that you use? For every day baking I just use whatever store brand flour - does the job - but do you use a stronger flour for your breads?

13. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Ok.. here we go.
    For bread machine recipes I usually use strong bread flour. I do find any of the leading brand works well. Quite often I would use about 75% strong white and 25% seeded or a brown grade. A 100% brown flour will not raise a lot and produce a heavy bread.
    Now that I use a dough mixer and experimenting with other recipes I am using plain flour from BeRo as I do in the soft rolls recipe.
    Allisons flour seems to suit my recipes as well.

Another tip : If you use a recipe with no sugar use instant yeast.
    Other yeasts I believe require a little sugar.
    Fresh yeast will need to be started before adding to other ingrediants.
    One method that will save you time is to mix the dough for the next day the evening before, cover well and store in frig. Bring it up to room temperature first thing in the morning. Shape as you wish, let it do its second raise and bung it in the oven. I have not tried this myself but apparantly it works well.
    Suggestions:
    Use a branded strong bread flour (white or mixed) with instant yeast in bread machine.
    Also set the programme to longest one available on the machine. My bread machine setting run to about 3Hrs 50mins for the best result. (avoid quick bread settings)

If you do not have a dough mixer, use your bread machine to dough the mixture, then prove make up to rolls/bread of your choice and cook in the oven. This way works well for us as we can freeze a whole small loaf and rolls for use during the week.

Hope the above helps Natalie, but catering for seven I reckon can be a challenge !
    Finally, and must importanly..
    Enjoy..
    robert

14. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much for taking the time to type that all up for us Capney! You certainly sound like an accomplished baker!
    I do have a good sturdy mixer with dough hook that I purchased a couple of years ago - breadmakers just are not big enough :(

I've got a hankering now (as usual after reading your bread posts!) to make some fresh bread on the weekend - hmmm sounds like a plan for Saturday!

15. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Go for it Natalie...you know you want to:gnthb: