1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit - am I stupid or what?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by PeterS, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I think that many who voted out might have got fed up with all the inside wrangling @Freddy , on that point I do agree, people often have very short memories and when things get tough just kind of fade away.
    We have a lot of those on my allotment site.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      I ain’t the brightest either :biggrin:
      I do think that all of us are becoming more aware (informed) about the whole thing, at varying levels. AFAIC, the ‘people’ need to decide a specific outcome, based on a doable deal, even if it means a ‘run-off’ of options. The politicians can’t handle it.

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Please, don’t talk down to me, ok?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        Sorry, but it was told by the Brexiteers that "Europe will have to give us a deal", and for too many who were given a vote it was about getting rid of the foreigners (although that was not the word that was used). See Freddies post..................

It surprises me not in the slightest. All the talk in pubs, bars, buses and workplaces was about getting rid of the (insert racist slur of your choice here). I heard it from people of all walks of life (including family) and it was particularly prevelant in older people, as I'm sure you all did if you bear to be honest about it.

Are you kidding. We lack the facilities to recycle in this country, we'll have to ship it all to Holland and Sweden!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,624
          Freddy, I apologise profusely if you feel that I was talking down to you - it appears that my attempt at humour missed the mark entirely. I hope you will be able to accept my apology.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +49,624
            My last words on this, and then I am leaving the discussion as bluntly it is making my blood boil, and there seems to be no logical answers anywhere.

My belief is that this whole mess has been handled in such a way that the intention of our government and the EU was to make such a hash of it, whilst publicly making the most of declaring all the potential negatives without mentioning the potential positives, to ensure that we end up in a situation where another vote appears to be the only logical answer, and to shred people's brains enough to ensure that they vote to stay in the EU in the event of that second vote.

I have long been of the mind that the political system in this country is utterly knackered, and wholly non-representative of the wishes of ALL of us, regardless of which party or parties we choose to support. The division that this has caused over the past two years is nothing short of abhorrent, and that surely flies in the face of everything that the EU and modern society proclaims to stand for. This division, and what I believe to be the inevitable breakdown of Brexit will only serve to underline that democracy is effectively dead, and I think that will be the point that I cease to vote, as participation is futile.

Again, it is certain that my humour has missed the mark on more than one occasion and for that I apologise, however I stand by my stance that we are being led astray in more ways than one, and at NO point has anyone (be it here, or elsewhere) been able to give me any logical information to explain the benefits of being a member of this EU club, and that really makes my blood boil.

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,836
              And we were told the opposite by the anti-brexiteers, long:dunno::wallbanging:
              The referendum was called well before any of the factions, and not because of them, had a real campaign to further their argument. You know as well as I do that the EU became in the public's view over decades, not in a few days, the entity of bumbling bureaucracy, stupid and incomprehensible decisions over so many matters affecting the UK. The public suddenly realised that the EU was insinuating itself by those decisions in their personal lives and increasingly didn't like it.
              I didn't vote to leave the EU "because it about getting rid of the foreigners"........nor did anyone that I know. That aspect didn't come into focus until the Media and organisations with an agenda decided it would appeal to those Nationalists they could feed that propaganda to. So the pressure to have a referendum didn't start in 2016 but decades before when people realised that the EU wasn't all that it was believed to be and in fact was mutating into a officious, monstrous, faceless organisation having a say in every part of their lives.
              I disregarded all of the fluff, rantings, exhortations, of either side of the campaigns that erupted when the referendum was announced and I stuck to my reasons for wanting to leave the EU. The media were used by either side to feed fear, nationalism, bias and racial views to those who wanted to hear them and believe............and that has led to where we are now, people confused, in a state of fear and indecision. As I said, if you strip away all of that then you are left with one question......do you want to leave the EU or not? But the EU, the anti-brexiteers, the brexiteers, the extremists threw up every barrier of doom, financial ruin, inability to survive trading in the big bad world, be unable to travel, have the British people in the EU and the EU people living in the UK being told to pack their suitcases and be put on a Bus to be ejected..........and a lot of people on both sides took the bait.:wallbanging::doh:

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                [​IMG]

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Totally disagree with you, Freddy. We don't have any super brains, that I know of, on GC, but I do believe you are one of the quiet smart ones.:love30::snorky:

• Funny Funny x 1
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +86,077
                  We were all told all sorts of things by both sides, I think they call it politics:scratch::biggrin:

I didn't think you of all people would be listening to talk in bars, buses and work places, yes we all talk, but I like to think we make up our own minds, just as as you do.:smile:

I think FC comment about recycling, might have just been a bit of a joke.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +23,089
                    Who says!! :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +86,077
                      Yeah, I was going to hit the funny button also @Freddy, but I thought it might be misconstrued, is that a real word.

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        Listen, Guys, I'm the one around here who failed to get the Village Idiot's job because I was too thick.
                        [​IMG]

I don't compliment people easily or generously. a side effect of being with the kind of people I work(ed) for:doh: but, believe me I meant what I said about Freddy.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                          +28,997
                          Did she?

I've read that the EU published a proposal that they called a draft 'agreement', that has never actually been agreed (but it gets more and more difficult to tell truth from fiction with the amount of media bias on both sides of this debate).

P.S. The mess the negotiations are now in is all Theresa May's fault, the referendum result was David Cameron's fault, and Thatcher was initially responsible for everything Thatcher to blame for Brexit - Financial Times

• Like Like x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                            Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
                          • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +23,089
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            Thread Status:
                            Not open for further replies.