Brexit - am I stupid or what?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by PeterS, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I'm rather set in my ways.

I've not worn trainers for decades. by the time I was forty I'd even stopped wearing jeans.
    "Elephant bum" Jeremy Clarkson did 501s a great disservice.
    I do wear chinos, I have several pairs, mosty navy. I don't wear T-shirts, I've a lot of button down Ben Shermans, both long and short-sleeved. I've a few pairs of smart casual shoes.

As for track suits, I had a couple, but they were provided by my club's team sponsors with their logo on the back. I'd only wear them to go to practice or for match. They ended up as gardening gear, once I'd given up playing, as did my squash shoes.

Around the house I wear "scruff," old golf shirts and chinos, I''ve several sets. So I can go straight out into the garden or garage to do a bit of work, then come in and change into "clean scruff."

On holiday, my wife and I sometimes do a bit of "people watching" if we're sitting outside a pub.

A balding middle aged man in an Umbro sweat-shirt, track suit bottoms and pristine white "holiday trainers" is worth ten points

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
      +172
      There isn't really such a thing as no deal. They've already made arrangements for individual deals in the event of no deal. So we would have no deal "deals". Examples are visa free travel, air travel, etc.

Personally i think that they want to split the leave vote in a 3 way referendum with one remain option and two leave options.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,308
        Phew!!! I'm pleased I don't come into that category. Mine are grey. :thumbsup:

Track suit bottoms and trainers are for medical reasons. Rugby tops are for comfort. :blue thumb: I wear trainers to weddings and funerals as well. I'm not allowed to wear anything else. Indoors it's bare feet.

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +6,925
        How can I improve my knowledge of Brexit when your talking about t-shirts and flipping trainers?
        I mean there has been very little TV coverage ;).

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Funny Funny x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,834
          My God, I hope not, Loofah. Having a Prime Minister and her Cronies telling the thousands of people thrown out of their jobs during the economic crisis during her reign to get on their bikes, while the interest rate soared to it's highest ever of 15.5%. The Armed Forces were cut to the bone and then sent to the Falklands with contracted civilian ships, a Carrier that broke down only a few miles after leaving port, and having the gall to take the credit while we lost 255 service personnel partly due to lack of resources. In the last year of my Service I had to train people of
          the Royal Artillery on the use of the radar on the Rapier Missile which had been grudgingly bought by her Government.
          [​IMG]

Not many people in the Services then thought, privately, that she was a great Prime Minister.

As for the present Prime Minister trying to propose an agreement where we stay in the Customs Union and can't leave without the permission of the EU knowing that there's more than a chance of not getting it through the Commons, I find that desperate and futile. She seems to be blindly trying to force through conditions that forced Ministers and the like over the cliff to resign, while losing the support of the loyal, to her, MPs, the DUP, and giving the Remainers even more ammunition.:doh:

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Creative Creative x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,834
            You haven't seen much of it, roders, because you've kept your TV switched off.:dunno::heehee:

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            So at least there is a positive to come out of this whole fiasco then :hapfeet:

Chav! :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,078
              Teressa May and Thatcher have one thing in common....they both didnt realise when it was time to do the right thing and step aside.

Its a mess and theres no pulling the iron out of the fire at the last minute here.

Im,off to count my seeds and think of my gardening plans next year while the world around my bubble goes straight to loopy loo land.:pillow::pillow::pillow:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +48,879
                Maggie is dead, so just how far is Theresa planning to emulate her?

• Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,834
                  Actually, I think it's an error to compare Maggie Thatcher and Theresa May, and probably the only reason why that has happened is because they're of the same gender. If I was to compare a Prime Minister against another Prime Minister it would be only how much mess they got us into during their times. One thing that has "irritated" is to find that Blair was asked to give his opinion of BREXIT:doh:

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                    Ratings:
                    +4,411
                    Too many vested interests clouding the issue, too many pundits on TV looking for their fifteen seconds of fame/more TV work.

The economics as one letter in my paper from someone who lives near a channel port has observed, many times as many trucks are coming into this country with goods, than there are going out.
                    Threaten to stop the imports for a week and many CM companies who supply goods to us, would go bust.
                    It's the unelected Eurocrats, causing the problems, they know, if we leave their whole house will come crashing down around their ears, so they're desperately trying to stop us. Time for individual governments, to kick them into touch. What's the betting if we stay in, the European jobsworths will demand we carry more of the financial burden, due to even more of the economic problems in Greece, Spain, Italy and how many other countries immediately coming to the surface?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +23,089
                      Two points;
                      1. Our balance of trade is negative because we don't make enough 'stuff' and certainly not enough of the 'stuff' that the average person is looking to buy
                      2. Put simply, tit for tat. It would cut both ways.

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +5,078
                      This brexit could well give the UK growers a massive boost as long as they dont need human pickers. Return of the British tomato growers. New garlic growers needed to supply british market. Spanish garlic might be harder to deliver at a low price and who really buys that Chinese garlic thats fed on human waste and is chlorinated to make it so pretty.
                      British farmers may well be able to diversify and supply most of what we need . Eg wines,motzarella type cheese,british not danish bacon etc etc
                      Also British flower growers may return .

• Like Like x 3
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,834
                        That's if we get a BREXIT, WeeTam, today's events has set the Wolves of the Remainers howling for a referendum, or as it is known now as that dumbed down title "The Peoples Voice" that will, they hope, will stop BREXIT and leave us entangled even more into a Federation where the UK will eventually lose it's identity and be ruled by unelected bureaucrats taking decisions behind closed doors. I would rather get out of the EU the hard way if that was the only option that set the country free.:coffee::snorky:

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +117,308
                          And Proud

upload_2018-11-15_23-14-45.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
                          • Like Like x 1
                          Thread Status:
                          Not open for further replies.