1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit - am I stupid or what?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by PeterS, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,719
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Oh, God, that means an even bigger bill added to the original UK bill.:doh::heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          You were leaving???:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,719
            Well we thought we were for a while, but now I'm not so sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,380
              I read that they were thinking of cutting Kent off and floating it across the Channel so that it can still be in Europe.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
              Ratings:
              +5,404
              Well, if they do I`m getting off ...... in fact, that might well give our surrounding counties something of an overcrowding issue.

• Like Like x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                I think that would be a very cruel thing to do..................................to Europe.:dunno::whistle::loll::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 1
                • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                  Ratings:
                  +5,404
                  Only if I`m still on board .... oh, and with an army of mates who feel the same. I`m going to buy an inflatable boat - (in case I get towed off in the depths of the dark hours).....with a souped up engine!

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                    Ratings:
                    +6,097
                    Hi Folks. I like the humour wrapped up in recent comments. Similar to wartime British spirit. Don't cry, have a laugh.
                    My take on all of this. I for one am fed up hearing, 'Brexit this and Brexit that. Lots of waffle in parliament, the media taking on new roles as fortune tellers etc. It seems that many who voted to leave, now have a change of heart. Peoples imaginations run riot. Night marish thoughts flood our minds. We find ourselves confronting two survival problems. From across the pond. Trump setting himself up as the Almighty, [the great dictator] & Brexit. The average Brit is probably thinking. Once we have left the EU. We won't be able to buy imports. In some respects. I think we may actually be better off. Prior to the EU. We traded with the world. Basicically. I've got this for sale. I want to buy.

The EU has bought together the european counteries and has given us a period of peace. When all this began. Presidant De Gaulle did his best to warn Britain off. Sadly it wasn't until fairly recentlt we brits learned some truths. How much it was costing us to be a member. Little was know about, how much parts of the UK gained in help.

My simple brain tells me. What really caused the Brits to want out was. Think about it. I am British. DON'T tell me what to do! Who knows. Perhaps had the EU headquarters been in London. Just a thought. Stay Safe.

• Like Like x 3
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                      Ratings:
                      +5,404

And so - to bed - perchance to dream............

• Like Like x 1
                      • Funny Funny x 1
                      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                        Ratings:
                        +30,610
                        @Mike Allen Canada has already been setting up shop for reciprocal trade agreements with you. Actually, there are mumblings and musings about bringing back the "Commonwealth" trade setup. Australia/Canada/Britain etc ... Whatever that arrangement was.

We share a 3000 mile border with the Trumpdom and aren't ruffled by his bellowing so I don't know why anyone else would bother themselves over this. He's really about combatting China.

• Like Like x 3
                        • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                          Ratings:
                          +7,623
                          I see that Dave and Boris have left the cabinet - they don't like Teresa's plan for Brexit - assume they will block at every opportunity. As I always suspected - we're going for a no deal Brexit - to call the EU's bluff on trade?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                            Ratings:
                            +49,512
                            I am not surprised in the least - the only certainty is that no matter the situation, our government will make a right mess of it.

As I see it, Cameron called for the vote to make himself look more 'in touch' and 'with it'; he, and the majority of the eejits in Westminster thought that the little people would behave themselves and vote the way they wanted them to vote, which was to stay in the EU, on the gravy train and everything would be just dandy.

Only, the little people were pee'd off with immigration levels being so high that there was not enough housing stock, schools or NHS capacity to cope, and the Tories did what they do best, cut services all over the place whilst taking more money off the electorate for the pleasure. As a result, a lot of the little people decided to send a bit of a message, and voted to leave the EU.

Upon the result, Cameron hadn't a clue what to do, and realised that he had properly 'dropped a clog' which was likely to see all his mates suffering when they had to take their snouts out of the EU trough.......... so he did what all politicians do when it goes wrong, and resigned to leave someone else to try and do something with the mess left behind.

Meanwhile, in the EU, all of their elected elite decided to take the huff, and to make it as hard as possible for the UK to leave the EU, seemingly thinking that this would cause us to go back with our tail between our legs and ask to call the whole Brexit thing off.

Michael Gove showed his true colours when he knifed Boris Johnson in plain sight, which then left us with the fart in trance better known as Theresa May for PM. Before she could form a government, she had to pay a small fortune to the DUP to gain their support (essentially buying their votes in my opinion, and I still don't know how she got away with it!). She formed a cabinet, the majority of which were still of the mind that we shouldn't be leaving the EU, mostly because they wanted to keep their snouts in the trough.

The elected politicians faffed about for month after month, with the elite in the EU determined to make the UK suffer for daring to leave, and because most of our political elite wanted to stay in the EU they didn't have the balls to stand up to the likes of Junker and to start dictating our terms.

Roll forward to now, and those politicians have had a 'oh shhhh.....' moment, when they realised that the date we are due to leave is fast looming, and they had essentially faffed about so much that no plans were in place. In a panic, May decided to go with one particular option that doesn't seem to fit with the spirit of Brexit (at least it currently seems this way going by the reaction it has had); she took the cabinet into Chequers on Friday and dictated to them what they were going to do, disregarding the objections and opinions of almost all of her cabinet (even those who are currently saying they stand with her have said that they disagree with it) - in short, she bullied them into being good little boys and girls to nod in the right places, and keep quiet about their own opinions.

David Davis, and Boris Johnson (to their credit, in my opinion) mulled this over, not agreeing with the option being laid out and decided that they could not put their name to it, and resigned. Sure, Boris has mostly resigned as he sees a leadership contest in the offing, but we will allow him a little bit of credit for walking rather than towing the party line.

The Tory party are now in an almighty mess, and if May survives this, it will be something of a miracle. It may even end up with another general election - of course the trouble with that is that the alternatives Jeremy Corbyn or Vince Cable - - talk about frying pan and fire......

The really worrying thing is that voters across the globe are voting in such a way as to show their feelings toward the elected elite - they are electing people who are making controversial promises (Trump, Giuseppe Conte etc), and STILL the traditional politicians cannot see what is right in front of their nose.

• Like Like x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Informative Informative x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • pete

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +85,719
                              Cant fault any of that @Fat Controller , just about sums up our position.
                              I'm sure without all those remainers still putting their spanners in the works we might have had some kind of negotiation with the EU.
                              We have never had anything like a "negotiating" chance due to the "in fighting" that has been going on, not just in the tory party but the whole of the government and house of lords.

Just too many people in high places doing what suits them best personally, and saying it is best for Britain.

Sad that we can't come up with a united front on things that actually matter.

Not sure I will ever bother voting again, as there are too many people out there ready to ignore the outcome of voting and still follow their own agenda.
                              They call it corruption when it happens in Africa.

I haven't changed my mind on Brexit, but if this sad halfway house is the best this lot can come up with we might as well go cap in hand and plead with the EU to take us back.

• Agree Agree x 1
                              • Informative Informative x 1
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.