1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit - am I stupid or what?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by PeterS, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    From 13th July and I haven't changed my opinion

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    I'm not sure but I believe that what @noisette47 was saying is that the French protesters are sick of being milked by their own taxation system?

If we are talking about the British view of the EU milking us maybe now is a good time for a reality check. In order of value;
    A British person on average wage (£27000) will pay approx £5500 in tax. Check out your tax summary and it actually gives you a breakdown of where this money goes - 0.6% goes to the EU! So on average wage, with no other income, you pay £33 a year to the EU. This is under the GDP element of payments and includes corporation tax as well. So we need to factor in the loss of large chunks the financial services industry to the EU - the largest single contributor to the Exchequer.
    The governments of the EU then pay 0.3% of their VAT take to the EU (Germany, and Sweden pay a lower rate, as I think does the Netherlands). Now all reputable predictions (I don't count Farages 'back of a cigarette packet best guess' as being too reliable) for the economy expect it to shrink by 1.5% to 8% dependant upon the authors and the possible scenario with regards to deal/no deal. So in an instant what we save by not giving to the EU will be swallowed up by the lower returns.
    However, there is one ray of sunshine. Sort of. Currently 75% of Customs take of EU countries goes to the EU. Now 100% of this money will go to the Exchequer. Great, except that the UK is a source of entry for some goods/services to the EU so these will now be diverted to mainland ports etc. As the economy shrinks we import less. We can up the tariffs but then exports will get hit by tit for tat tariffs - net result is imports and exports decrease and as a result so does customs revenue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      It's not just a that 0.6 % of income tax that's paid to the EU, for example some say 20% of VAT (you state 0.3% :scratch: ) is paid to the EU, but as in this link you need to look at the whole picture Does the UK pay a fifth of the VAT going into the EU budget?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,623
      Why do discussions centre around the economy - brexit will negatively impact upon the economy when it comes to the EU - I was under no illusion that the case would be otherwise. I voted to bring back control to our own Parliament/Courts; to manage immigration; to stop paying huge sums as a net contributer. The UK will be able to enter it's own trade deals - which means there is a good possibility to promote economic growth which we could never achieve as members of the EU - the Gov't forecasts assume the status quo - which is just misleading.

Hard Brexit - take the initial hit and then we'll see what happens with our own trade deals. I'm starting to think that BoJo was right.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,551
        I trend to not get involved with statistics, often they go over my head and rarely are they true, just twisted minds making them fit their ideas.:biggrin:
        But the economy? is expected to shrink by 1.5 to 8% seems a bit like kind of throwing a figure in the air to me, its a big difference.

Also, something I've yet to work out is are these figures based on the economy shrinking from what it is now?
        Or to what they guess the economy would be, had we remained, in 15 yrs time.
        I ask that because I seem to remember "old doom and gloom", our cheery colonial governor of the bank of england, stating a time scale of 15 yrs at one point.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          As that article quite clearly states, the UK does pay one fifth of the VAT that goes into the EU budget from all nations. It does not pay one fifth of UK VAT receipts to the EU, it pays 0.3% of its VAT receipts to the EU.

Budget of the European Union - Wikipedia

I'm puzzled young man. You wonder why the economic argument keeps coming up and then you state that you voted to leave because of the huge sums of money that we keep giving the EU. And you would rather not give this money to the EU despite the fact that it is more or less universally acknowledged that even allowing for the saving that we will make the UK will be significantly worse off.
          The fact is that to most people the only discernable difference after Brexit will be that they are worse off.

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,230
            Shineyland has a free trade agreement with the UK. :dbgrtmb: That won't change whether we're in or out :heehee: We also run a barter system, visas and passports aren't required and Shineyland governmental decisions are never contentious or disputed.

• Funny Funny x 3
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,551
              Personally, its never really mattered to me how well the "economy" is doing, I never seem to make any money out of it.;)
              I can remember so called boom and bust, but I dont think I've ever remembered the boom time having much effect on me personally.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +49,461
                I think it is far more simple than that for many people @longk - and lets not forget that income tax and NI is just the start - there is VAT, Fuel Duty, VED, Council Tax, Tax on alcohol (if they drink), tax on cigarettes (if they smoke), and some even have to pay for permits to park outside their home, or in road tolls/congestion charges. To a lot of people, they see all of this money that they are paying whilst our services have gone to garbage, and for that reason they are (rightly) pissed off at the politicians.

Also, for many, they have seen a huge influx of people to the country, many of them not to work, but purely to get benefits and welfare, and many of those having entered the EU somewhere and then travelled to the UK from there (usually from France); they cannot get a doctors appointment, because services are so stretched, and it is this combination (coupled with some silly rules and a lot of interference) that has made them want to leave the EU, or at least it has been a deciding factor in their decision.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                  Ratings:
                  +7,623
                  As time goes by - I'm pleased that I can still be called a young man :dbgrtmb::whistle:. Reminds me of a conversation with my late Uncle:

Me - "I'm 50 now you know."

Uncle - "I'm 80 lad."

That's because all of the other issues around leaving the EU are positives - not newsworthy as what's to debate. Expanding economic growth is the not the be all and end all for the UK. Did you notice that in the South East/London area - those who have benefited most, economically, from the EU - voted to stay - shocker :hate-shocked:. If money was an issue for the UK as a whole - then we would have voted to stay in.

The EU will now be shaking in their boots - if we hard brexit - their budget and plans for next year will crash.:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                    +746
                    [QUOTE

If anything, my attitude to things like this changed significantly - - - I realised that all of this Brexit nonsense, all of the politics and shite that you get in the workplace, all of the pressures that we get in daily life................ it is all a big game; none of it really matters when it comes down to it. What matters is the people - the people around you.[/QUOTE]

Quite.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                      +746
                      [QUOTE Did you notice that in the South East/London area - those who have benefited most, economically, from the EU - voted to stay - shocker :hate-shocked:. If money was an issue for the UK as a whole - then we would have voted to stay in.
                      [/QUOTE]

Although I see you are saying that money was not the be all and end all, one thing I've never quite understood is a point you refer to, ie that the "haves" are often said in the media to have voted in for self-serving reasons, and that some have benefited financially from EU membership. Does this generally refer to bankers and those i the financial sector whose earnings are seen to be high due to the positive relations between the City and Brussels, while those on inner city council estates feel excluded? I appreciate the points made regularly in the media about the perception of this inequality, but I struggle to understand precisely what it means in practise. For instance, while I know some people such as MEP's profit directly from EU salaries, I don't understand how one person can be said to have done well out of it because they live in London (when I lived there, there were massive problems in terms of housing, employment and the cost of living, and that was in the boom years of the early 00's) but those in the North have lost money because of it. When Londoners, or those in certain occupations, get their salaries paid, is it topped up by EU money? I'm joking, of course, but I want to know the ways in which specific social groups can be said to have directly benefited. If it supposedly refers to people whose professions and areas of work are subsidised by EU grants, surely this is likelier to be the case in respect of poorer areas, where many employment schemes and social funds include EU cash, or in the environmental and arts sectors, often largely financed by EU grants?

• Like Like x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • pete

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +85,551
                        Looking at a map of what areas voted for what, I seem to find most of Scotland voted to remain, a large chunk of Wales and an area of central southern England.
                        London, which seems to want remain, is not SE England.;)
                        As I try to tell the weather forecasters, but they dont get it either:biggrin:
                        EU referendum: The result in maps and charts

• Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                          Ratings:
                          +7,623
                          Here's an example - London is the current financial centre of the EU - the work is there because of the EU - a captive market so to speak. Compare this to the fishing industry - where the EU allow us to catch 40% of the fish from our own seas, excess catch chucked over the side. Other EU countries are allowed to catch 60% of the fish from our own seas - result - wealthy bankers; poor fishermen. This doesn't sit particularly well with me - the have and have nots. It should come as no surprise that the bankers voted in and the fishermen voted out.

• Agree Agree x 3
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +118,230
                            I think you'll find that the South Central and South East have benefitted more from us being in the EU because it's closer to the Continent and the more affluent jobs tend to be there as the concentrated hub of business. This doesn't stop there being inner city depravation and poverty but there certainly is a N/S economic divide.

It would still be there without us being in the EU but I think it wouldn't be as marked a division.

• Like Like x 2
                            Thread Status:
                            Not open for further replies.