Bridge Cameras

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by wiseowl, May 14, 2007.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Mike, will go for one a little dearer as i dont want the tripod moving around and smashing the camera to the ground, will have a look in the link and thank you so much for your help, much appreciated linda

2. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I have used a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ10 since they
    first came out. I used to use Minolta film SLR's, but the FZ10 gives me a greater range of tele settings than I could ever afford with an SLR or DSLR. The Leica lens is of very good quality too.

I once tried to use a 200mm tele lens with an SLR and a 2x multiplier (=400mm) on a tripod, on a bridge, to take a photo, but people walking past caused camera shake. With the FZ10 I have been able to take a picture of a vehicle at 200 metres and read the number plate whilst hand holding the camera.

The close-up focus is 1mm from the filter (with a 1 dioptre supplementary lens, 50mm without). The zoom range is equivalent to 35mm to 420mm in a 35mm SLR lens. The F2.8 maximum aperture works throughout the zoom range (I could never afford a 400mm F2.8 lens with the Minolta's although I did have a 50mm F1.4 standard lens). For those who do not know effect of the F No. it is the speed of the lens (the lower the number the faster the lens) and it's ability to take pictures in poor light conditions.

Although Panasonic have brought out several improved versions I have not seen enough improvement to warrant replacing the FZ10.

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    Larkshall, the Kestrel pic I posted in my Fleet lagoon walk in non gardening topic last week was taken on simple mode (just for me) hand held although it is backlit it is still quite sharp so I am pleased with my Panasonic FZ7 so far, the image stabilser makes all the difference. Even with the 'extra zoom'(x16) at 3mps it is still sharp. I haven't tried the flash much yet or low light pics. I decided against a DSLR due to bulk and cost but I am glad I bought this camera. [​IMG]

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Hi Its Woo again I have purchased The Panasonic
    FZ8 ,I used my friends for a couple of days and that made my decision easy Plus the fact that It was In my limited budget.Is there any advantages In purchasing a set of close up lens for It,as the close up shots I have taken seem to me close enough With the Macro setting .Plus also the tele converter Lenses. But I would like your advice and Imput.Thankyou :confused: [​IMG]

[ 27. May 2007, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: wiseoldowl ]

5. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Woo, tele converter not really necessary plus most of them introduce some distortion. Close up adapters maybe, the Macro setting should be adequate for flowers, but if you want to get close up and personal with bugs then you may find a use for them. For now play with what you have and then see if you find any limitations.

Your next fun decision should be how to process your pics in the computer, do you have any photo programmes already?

6. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Hi Mike The only photo programme is one that came with the all in one HP printer and Its not up to much,apart from that there is just My Pictures ,I,m a bit of a novice really on Digital Photography I spent most of my life with 35mm manual photography .When I set the printer up I could,nt seem to do It without installing the Photo programme. [​IMG]

7. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of free download suggestions

Picasa from Google

click here

catalogues your pics neatly with thumbnails to save you remembering what you called it. Also has some fairly basic "tweaks", adjusting contrast and brightness, straightening (putting walls back upright when you held the camera wonky) cropping off unwanted bits and other things. I think they also do hosting like Photobucket, have not tried that yet though.

The Gimp

click here

probably the most powerful free photo package, takes longer to learn than Picasa, but can do a lot more.

Tesco now do some software including a photo package for about a tenner, office suite for �£19.99.

8. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Thanks Mike Much appreciated Will look at both Then Tesco,s tomorrow. [​IMG]

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    Hope you enjoy the camera Woo. I had a good look at and saw the results of a friends camera before deciding on mine. I have PSPro7 but have never used it or any editing programme or any additional lenses, the main reason I chose it was so that I only needed to carry the camera and nothing else. [​IMG]

10. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Hi Strongylodon Thanks to you and everyone else
    for all the comments ,advice and Information Its been Invaluable. [​IMG]

11. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    Woo, I presume your fz8 has a lithium rechargeable battery, if you are thinking of getting a spare you could look at ebay, I bought a genuine Panasonic in a blister pack from Hong Kong for Ã?£11. I think they go for about Ã?£25 upward in shops, it came in 6 days better than some deliveries from here. [​IMG]